Monitor Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeluvver2

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Hey
How long does it take for Moniters to shed?
Is soaking something that should be done in the final stages to make sure it comes off its toes and limbs?

I keep one side of the enclosure fairly moist and I flood the tank every fortnight to keep up the humidity.

Jannico

I have only ever kept Ackies but they took a long time to shed and didnt do it in one go. By the time they had finished shedding the ends of their limbs, they had often started shedding again, this may be over several weeks.

Yer my orientalis is in the final stages just the head and toes to go, I've sprayed down the enclosure to keep the humidity up.
Good to know it takes several weeks.

hey mate,

growing monitors in my opinion should always be shedding so dont stress to much about how long it will take because you will probably find as grimbeny said that by the time the last lot starts falling off it will have started again on another section of the body

its what Cliff on the Gold Coast told me to do. After seeing his set up and his healthy collection I trust him:)

But may I ask why you dont think its a good idea?

Im new to monitors and insite would be nice

Jannico - They are always shedding and won't need a soak. If you get a retained shed around the toes or tail then give them a quick soak until then don't.

Flooding is something that I have never done, it sounds more likely to increase humidity too much - even to a detrimental level. I don't understand why it would be required.

i use flooding with some of my species..thats purely just to keep it as similar as possible to what they would experience in the wild (wet increase of food and increase heat reflects the onset of the wet season etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back