Feeding Quantity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gruba10

Reaction score
Hey, ive just beein looking at other peoples feeding pics and have just took note of a few ppls juvies,and noticed they have been feeding them small fuzzies rather than my smaller pinkie mice i feed my 7 month old girl on a weekly basis.

So should i maybe up the quantity to 2 at feeding time or should it be fine?

Just a curiosity question.

We start our jungle hatchies on small pink rats for thier first feeds, So at 7 months old i would suggest your critter is on the smalll side if its only taking pink mice.
It should be on a small adult mouse in size by 7 months of age.

Cool. Thnx. And yes hes a little smaller I spose.,

im feeding my 7 month old coastal 2 velvet mice atm they seem a bit small hoping to get weener mice next week, yet my 7 month old woma is onto weener rats :O there huge lol might down size his feed a bit.

It allways amazes me how many people feed their snakes tiny meals and keep them on them for extended periods of time, they should be upgrading and snakes can take very large meals for their size.

Mate I feed my girl big fuzzys around the 15-20 gram mark she does struggle a bit and won't take them took ages tonight. I put that down to the rat being to big. Will try get something around the 7-13 gram mark I've got not idea what the rats are called I just work with weights

thanks, awesome guys, muchly appreciated, i was expecting to get smashed with stupid answers. but yeh, i feel as if i should maybe be givin her a little bigger than what i have been, but not a fan of feeding her twice sorta thing... or is that ok?
i dont think ill have too much trouble feeding her a little bigger since shes a good feeder, but struggles a little sometimes gettin the whole "head=first" thing down pat

mate when you see pictures of scrubbies eating wallabies you know snakes are made to eat meals alot bigger than their head size. and people shouldnt have a go at you for these sort of questions, people need to learn.

Yeh but I think with young snakes they don't have the balls to take a big feed my jungle seems to be scared of the fuzzies i offer her she will strike a pinkie but take hours to take s fuzzie

well i reckon people should stop worrying so much about the feed they give to their snakes. i once fed a 5 month old woma a 2 week old quail and that was huge. lol as long as your snakes are healthy and not skinny and well conditioned then it doesn't matter really who has the longest snake or the biggest. but of course you'd have to be reasonable, lol can't feed a pinky mice to a 2 year old coastal.neway just my opinion!

I'm feeding both my 7 month old adult mice or fuzzy rats depending on which is available at the store. Try the bigger meal if they don't take it or take it and cant eat it you'll know where you stand.

I start my hatchling carpets and diamonds on fuzzy rats. They have no trouble taking them as there first feed and seem to prefer something with a bit of fur.

Yeh but I think with young snakes they don't have the balls to take a big feed my jungle seems to be scared of the fuzzies i offer her she will strike a pinkie but take hours to take s fuzzie

Pretty sure most things (with the exception of RSPs) love a huge meal, babies or not they're happy to takle anything, I've never had any trouble with very large meals for relatively small snakes. I've been doing it for years.

hey i went to the store today to get some velvet rats but they didnt have any, so i just ended up gettin pinky rats so ill feed them first and gradually go onto velvets, becoz aparently if u feed jungles mice for a long period of time they dont like the sudden change to rats... (thats what the store dude told me) sounds like a bit of salesmanship but hey, i ended up buyin off him :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back