Martial arts

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scleropages

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Who here has learnt one , some etc...
How long has it taken to get good at it?

I am thinking of Learing one , just not sure what one - any good teachers in brisbane anyone can recomend?

Way back in my 20's I joined a Muay Thai stable out at Cooper's Plains, run by a bloke, something Briggs. Used to train with his sons, who apparently are now quite good at it. I think Nathan was one of their names... Dunno if they're still around.
Anyway, it was a brutal but very efficient martial art I thought. Lots of elbows, knees and grappling. Never been a good fighter though... (Lover? well that's another story LOLOL!)
I'll be interested to see some of the other suggestions.... Good luck with it all!
Cheers,
Nic

I reckon ive had a good go at most of em, being REALLY into it as a kid and often going 3 nights a week to various martial arts disciplines during high school and have the following things to say based on my limited eperience (as i am well aware there are those out there who have had decades more experience than i)
(pardon the spelling)
Aikeedo, frustrated the hell outta me but very zenn if you do it right. is all about chi and balance. quite a dangerous martial art once you become proficient, which i did not after a year
Judo, fantastic and one of my favourites, very much about using your opponents force against him/her and a great grappling martial art. did this for a number of years and still dont believe i am incredibly "good at it"
Karate, i only did this for a year and found it was mostly blocks and a couple of uniform punches and kicks and didnt really enjoy it at all.. sparring was boring as all hell. This was my youngest martial art (started when i was like 7) so it was probably mostly just my attention span.. obviously didnt get that good.
Kickboxing, mixture of a combination of styles to what i like to call "bastard style" which included some mui thai but mostly american, was fantastic to mix it up and had a heap of fun competing. really good for exercise (obvious i havnt been doing it for a while based on the gut) and is the best for a more fun and energetic martial art, did this one for years and found i use a lot of the principles from this martial art in my work, as well as the principles learned from judo and jujitsu aswell (i am occasionally required to subdue violent people in my line of work, usually words work, but occasionally they do not)
Jujitsu - fun as, but teacher went bust so only did it for 1 year, would have loved to do more
Roman grecko - boring and slightly erotic (too much so), makes you realise the importance of your legs in ground work. only did this for 3 months, once you have the basic principles down pat and if you have legs the size of mine, you can get pretty alright pretty quickly.

All these martial arts teach you that words are your best self defence and 9/10 times you will not have to fight anyone if you use the right words.
Every martial art i ever did, no matter how long i did it for, i never felt particularly good at any, because all of them had people doing it for over 20 years who would put you on your *** by looking at you. These people are here to remind you that nomatter how good you think you are, theres still plenty of training to do

Another muay thai here. Off and on though as life tends to get in the way!

Paul (the younger Briggs) became world champ at 19 from memory and then went on to boxing. Has fought round the world (for a world title a couple of times too). He is fighting Danny Green on the 21st of July last I heard :)

Don't know a lot about Nathan other then he was quite a competitive pro boxer for a number of years. Don't know if he still fights these days.

im bout to start Muay thai (in fact i came to chit chat to ask if anyone does it :p)

i found for 'fighting', Muay Thai, MMA, Boxing (all forms) are the best, for martial arts, Ninjutsu is one i found the best, but then theres, wing chun, kung fu, judo, ju jutsu, kendo, karate, tae kwon do, and **** loads more

ya just gotta find a style that suits you, your strengths (and weekensses) and one you will enjoy.

Slither, licky

how do u guys find Muay Thai?

from a the fun aspect and the training aspect.

and do you guys, or anyone else do Muay Thai in SA, im thinking of joining this one, soudns very impressive, let me know wot u think.
Grandmaster LEONGS WING CHUN KUNG FU MUAY THAI & WU SHU ACADEMY

despite the name, they do muay thai, and the head instructor is like grand master and head instructor in thailand apparently too

I did zen do kai ( freestyle ) for a while it was more about how to deal with situations that would more and likely to happen out in streets ie how to dissarm someone who attacks you with a knife or how to protect yourself (ward off) from a gang of people while your are on floor ect...
I found it very fullfilling and learnt a lot of dissapline.most people didnt even know that i was doing it (Im not the 1 to brag about things) lucky I only used it once and that was on a mate (drunk) who did kick boxing 3 or 4 times and thought he was jean claude van-dam and wanted to spar after nagging for ages i agreed. I stopped after nearly breaking his knee and nose but he still wanted to go on even tho i only thru 1 punch & 1 kick apart from that alls been good
Cheers Deano

i basically did muay thai for a good ground game as well as much as i love the in ure face style i also love a good ground skill i also have a mate that has been doing tong long for 25 years its a type of chinese martial arts very impressive training for muay thai can be very intense depending what level and how far u wana go be prepared to put ure body through hell

asome man, cheers for the feedback, well yea i go to gym 4 times a week atm, and once i start muay thai itl be less, but yea i want a martial art that is physically and mentally tough :)

I'm more of a beer and telly kinda bloke but i once saw some people training in Silat and i thought that was impressive..

Judo is in my opinion the best all round martial art and great for kids to get involved with.
BJJ is great and combined with Judo they compliment each other very well
Boxing is great and would probably be the single most physically disciplined combat sport there is, though I'm sure die hard kickboxers and Muay Thai fighters may disagree and quite possibly be right as they would have to be fairly well on par as far as fitness training goes.
MMA is good but in my opinion not something to choose as an introduction into these forms of sports. MMA both amateur and professional would have to contain some of the fittest and most disciplined fighters around not only in the fight world but sports in general .

1st Dan Taekwondo, I like it but it's not for everyone, it all depends on what you want, why are you considering a Martial Art and what to hope to gain out of it?
As far as how long does it take to get good, depends on how much you want to put in.

The age old question is how long does it take to get ya black belt, I always answer with "Who cares? it only covers 2 inches of ya butt."

Last edited:
third dan black belt taekwondo and cross trained in brazilian JJ for a few years done it for a total of 16 years. had to stop recently because of the toll it has taken on my body broke two ankles 2 ribs and a colar bone doing it knees are buckled and hips are pretty stuffed aswell

but i wouldnt change any of it for the world had fun met some great people and done alot of damage to others over the years during tournaments :)

What do you want to get out of a martial art? That is probably the most important question you need to answer before any advice can be relevant.

i did karate for almost 6 years and loved it. i do miss it and want to go back at some stage.
i did it because i wanted to learn more self dicipline, control and how to look after myself. once doing it i loved it and started competing in tourniments taking out most of the ones i went in.

i do agree with the other guys you need to ask yourself what you really want out of martial arts and how far you want to go. i think karate is a mid range martial art yet can be still tough, but withmore tougher ones you can choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back