Culling question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoJosh

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey,
I would like to know how to cull adult mice using baking soda and vinegar in a 7 lt container, I need to know how much of each to mix so I dont put the mice through a cruel death.
I know you can use Soda Streams, gas bottles, donking etc but I would like to know how this method is performed.

Thanks Gex

From a chemistry point of view (and I might have made a mistake in my calculations):

Around 29g of baking soda (assuming it's pure sodium bicarbonate) and 335mL of vinegar (assuming concentration of 1M acetic acid) should produce 7L of CO2 assuming that the reaction goes to completion. But I don't think all of this would be gas. CO2 is heavier than air, so if you were doing this reaction in a container with very little air movement and ventilation only at the top the CO2 should fill the container.

I don't cull rodents using this, I've just done the maths.

From a chemistry point of view (and I might have made a mistake in my calculations):

Around 29g of baking soda (assuming it's pure sodium bicarbonate) and 335mL of vinegar (assuming concentration of 1M acetic acid) should produce 7L of CO2 assuming that the reaction goes to completion. But I don't think all of this would be gas. CO2 is heavier than air, so if you were doing this reaction in a container with very little air movement and ventilation only at the top the CO2 should fill the container.

I don't cull rodents using this, I've just done the maths.
Ok thanks, now I need to know what concentration of CO2 is appropriate

they will drown in the vinegar before the co2 kills them.. i dont think a snake will eat something that smells like vinegar.. its not the done thing mate... are you really trying to cull mice this way? or are you fishing for answers on a cheap co2 set up for your hydro set up? either way get a regulater & bottle of co2 it will do both...lol.. you just dont kill rodents this way..

Last edited by a moderator:
its a very bad way for them to be culled.. ive calmed down now ive had my rant..lol.. seriously it will end bad because you cant judge the reaction good enough... it takes time for the co2 to build up(to long) to a level to kill them, co2 rises so it will sit in the top of the container..

geckoman just slap them on a brick!
Its a faster way for them to die

I have to agree with Tony....and this idea has been done to death over the years...Euthanasia by this method is NOT good and it only prolongs the animals demise.Have you ever witnessed an animal "gasping" for breath for what seems like ages...its not good sight and I have tried it many years ago, as most have experimented doing and changed as it is not a good way at all!
Separation of the spine from the head is so much more humane and quicker. Do a search on how to do it, which you will find on this site and after psychologically coming to grasp with it, you will feel confident doing it and accept its humane benefits. Remember...IF you are prepared to breed a food item to feed to your animals which anyone can do, you have to be prepared to kill these little mammals, which are cute and you need to deal with it...but remember, IF you don't have commercial quantities of rodents to kill which is most is the economical way to cul by CO2, which is controlled and not a vinegar mixture...you have to face the reality of separating the spine as mentioned above, which is far more humane way but NOT for the faint hearted. You will get used to it, as your primary focus is to feed your snakes...correct? :)

Hey, SM. I was just thinking to myself about the spinal cord separation method you mentioned. What is the best way to do it?

i have been using cervical-dislocation for a few month now & swear by it, ive never seen a rodent die so quickly.. most dont even twitch or move after.. teach yourself how to do it.. i learn first go.. put there necks between you first 2 finger, grab there tail, pull in oppisite derections..you can feel there backbone come apart(a click,click, click feeling) then there heads just pop of there spine(the 'pop' feeling).. not to hard to pull them apart(your not draw 'n' quartering the poor thing) just enough force for the size rodent your doing.. try it you will get it pretty easy.. best way....

its a very bad way for them to be culled.. ive calmed down now ive had my rant..lol.. seriously it will end bad because you cant judge the reaction good enough... it takes time for the co2 to build up(to long) to a level to kill them, co2 rises so it will sit in the top of the container..

I agree that the reaction will take some time to build up the CO2, but the CO2 will fill the container from the bottom up as it is heavier than air. I'm certainly not advocating this as a good method, in fact I agree that this would be a bad method. I think it would be easier, and cheaper, just to get a reg and a CO2 bottle from BOC.

I would like love to explain in gory detail, which I probably should as a duty of care.. which I will I guess if the Mods accept, as I do write work place procedures as a living LOL.but don't have the time right now just before Dinner. But essentially, you grasp the rodent by the head with forefinger and thumb around the skull, while also grasping the hind legs FULLY with the other hand...and pulling apart like a BON-BON at chrissy time. This is the best way...

I think you will find that CO2 is heavier than air and will sink to the bottom of the container displacing the air. I used to gas in an open gargage can and the mice died without the CO2 rising out of the top.

i have been using cervical-dislocation for a few month now & swear by it, ive never seen a rodent die so quickly.. most dont even twitch or move after.. teach yourself how to do it.. i learn first go.. put there necks between you first 2 finger, grab there tail, pull in oppisite derections..you can feel there backbone come apart(a click,click, click feeling) then there heads just pop of there spine(the 'pop' feeling).. not to hard to pull them apart(your not draw 'n' quartering the poor thing) just enough force for the size rodent your doing.. try it you will get it pretty easy.. best way....

Works well on rabbits also (slightly modified)

Tony that's it, but just don't grab the "TAIL" as you can strip the skin from the tail and its not a clean quick kill as the tail comes off like a glove!...IF you grab the hind legs you can be assured of the separation as you describe...not splitting hairs mate...but we need to be specific I feel when advising on killing humanely a living animal...;) You are right thought mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back