Wood enclosure questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissyboy

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Ok so I've been building my melamine enclosure (1200x595x595)

I'm using safety glass for the 'viewing' area on the front (1200 long 595 wide)
the enclosure is fairly heavy so far and i want to reinforce the structure by just building a frame of sorts atm all I have is pine but if i paint and seal the pine will the snake be ok with it? also is Indonesian hardwood (cheap ****) ok for snakes?

If the answer is no for the pine then what would you suggest to use for a frame (also building it to keep the glass stable).

Where would you suggest the vents be placed? (assuming the hot end is far left cold end is far right with the heat source being a ceramic heat emitter on the roof) I was thinking one vent at the top of on the far left and one at the very bottom of the far right (cold air gets in hot air can get out allowing the hot air to not heat the entire box to the same temp)

Any help would be great.

your spot on with the vent holes. hot side have vent high up for heat to escape and that will suck cool air in with a low vent at the cool end.

none of my melamine enclosures (16mm thick) are reinforced as such its pretty strong stuff. i dont think it nessacery unless your expecting alot of weight on top of the enclosure 30+ kg

Id rather be safe then sorry, 5years down the track have the screws bend or crack the melamine itll take me 10minutes to whip up a frame if that ive got all the wood im just trying to get the specifics on the use of pine.

as you know pine is treated with noxious chemicals. however there is little chance of there is little chance of these leaving the wood without aggrevation i.e. cutting sanding etc. With the addition of a coat of paint and a sealant, the risk is further reduced. So it is my opinion that it is perfectly safe. I have used it as a frame with and without painting with no ramifications that i know of. Hope this helps.

all my enclosures are made from PINE and stained, painted inside with UV solargaurd everything is sweet no dramas

only thing i heard and cant comment on it as i dont have any factual proof is ive heard the glue they use MDF is toxic and should not be used

Last edited:
Just make sure the pine is kiln dried, as the natural oils in pine are toxic the reptiles.
Are you making a kick panel and void underneith the enclosure or will it sit flat on something?

I much prefer using pine but not treated pine, plain pine is perfectly fine as long as you air it for a few weeks before placing your animal inside, I also varnish my enclosure's and yes they are aired for a wile before use. I've never had a problem with it and the snakes are as happy as ever, but its up to you what you want to use really most people use malemine because its easier to keep clean but in my oppinion its boring. I like texture and the smell of pine enclosures but with a pine enclosure you need extra support depending on location you live etc if you live in a humid place like myself if an enclosure hasn't got good support from the frame and bracing then you may find it to bend in time.

I much prefer using pine but not treated pine, plain pine is perfectly fine as long as you air it for a few weeks before placing your animal inside, I also varnish my enclosure's and yes they are aired for a wile before use. I've never had a problem with it and the snakes are as happy as ever, but its up to you what you want to use really most people use malemine because its easier to keep clean but in my oppinion its boring. I like texture and the smell of pine enclosures but with a pine enclosure you need extra support depending on location you live etc if you live in a humid place like myself if an enclosure hasn't got good support from the frame and bracing then you may find it to bend in time.

2nd that

Just thought I'd add that one of my first enclosures made from melamine was of similar size, not quite as high and is still in perfect solid condition after 11 years, I used 16mm sheets btw

y not use a couple of metal brackets if you're worried? or plastic ones if rust will be an issue? (although i would not think rust would be a particular issue if you buy the right brackets.. would hate to think what my decking brackets would like like now if it were!)

I only bracethem if there is a space underneath IE on somke of mine i put a 100.. kick panel to hide the electrical plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back