Green pythons pricing advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
me thinks people need to chill out rather than let this thread lead to infractions...

Wait a bit longer and they will be $999.95 :lol:

I'm sure witha major suck up too my wife & a bit of fianacial wrangling I'm sure i could come up with this figure !!! Bring on the hatchies..... seriously in a few years once i'm more aquainted with pythons I want one!!!!!!! would have been my 1st choice but wisely advised against it .....ONE DAY when I have quite a few brownie points accrued lmao

Haha this is always a touchy one. It all depends on lineage and wether or not you want pure aussies. I think $1200 for a hatchey is reasonable but proberly unlikely from the higher end breeders. Remember you get what you pay for!! Also great looking greens im very jealous mate.

perhaps you are right Michael, the prices i have stated are somewhat pricey in this current market. Rather than have a 'dig' what prices are you actually selling them for? and I mean the selling prices not the asking price ? and what price would you put on the pair David has posted?

Dotty, I don't have any 2008 juvs left - they all sold. The 2009 batch will be released in October and bet you they will sell too and so will whatever Santa will bring this season. Give me one reason why should I post my prices here on the forum? I discuss prices with buyers not with 1000 + members of this forum. I hope it makes sense to you.
What price would I put on Dave's pair? I wouldn't, because I am not interested in buying them and I am not qualified to judge what they may be worth and whatever they may be worth to me, may not be worth to the next person. However, I did PM Dave last night with some information I thought may be useful to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or is NO ONE allowed to even post anything about greens besides Waterrat or one of his few merry followers? Surely there's more to life than little green and yellow snakes? How about just relaxing a bit instead of getting so wound up and defensive every time a post on green pythons appears.

I trust I helped Dave with my MP last night. I didn't think it was important for public knowledge. There is nothing egotistical in my posts mate, as you know, every time the price knockers [deleted} boast about their knowledge of the market to be, I give them little bit of opposition. It's all. At least I am intrinsically involved - they are keyboard riders, usually with no intention to buy anything. Be glad that you're not one of them.

Is it just me or is NO ONE allowed to even post anything about greens besides Waterrat or one of his few merry followers? Surely there's more to life than little green and yellow snakes? How about just relaxing a bit instead of getting so wound up and defensive every time a post on green pythons appears.

Splitmore, have I seen your face somewhere before? :lol:

This thread IS about GTPs and I humbly admit, I have something to say on that subject. It's great to hear other people's opinions. but it sucs when some have to have an opinion on everything. Do you see me commenting on albino carpets of other species or their prices? It's not that I am not interested in anything else but greens but I don't feel qualified to comment, not to mention to give advice. I rather leave that to others, whom I consider to be experts. Most of my merry followers, as you put it, are mostly people experienced with GTPs or those who bought snakes off me are very happy with them.
cheers
M

settle down please people..
Im going to close this thread for a while and will re-open it later..

ok by popular request I will re-open this thread.. but let me say this..
If people start name calling or the threads starts to go down hill it will be closed and the offenders dealt with.. PLEASE be nice to each other and be calm.. thanks

This is a little off topic from the original question asked by Dave, but I still feel it has relevance to the subject of "Pricing"

Let me say this in regard to putting prices on animals that may not have even been born or eggs laid yet.. as Im continually asked "what will you be selling your hatchies for this coming season?"
my answer is "I dont know yet and hesitate to put a price on animals that have not been born or eggs laid" as I personally feel its premature to do so..

I prefer to wait until I get a feel for what the market is at the time I do have hatchies, and with that in mind I set my own prices that I feel are fair for the quality of the individual hatchies I have for sale. All animals are individuals, and some have better colours and patterns and lineage than others and I price accordingly. Personally I dont really care what others are selling their animals for and will put a price on mine that I feel fair and what I would be prepared to pay for them myself. I also think that "all reptiles are not equal" and that there is a clear distinction between some animals from some breeders and other breeders.. You pay for what you get and a quality animal is better than an inferior one, and obviously worth more.. people put way too much consideration on PRICE when they should look first at QUALITY and HEALTH in my opinion.. after sales service is an important issue especially if your new to reptiles or a keeping a particular species. And to be reasonably sure an animal comes from a disease free collection is one of the most important issues I feel overlooked by people looking to save a few dollars by trying to find and buy the cheapest animals they can find..

To save a few bucks on an animal only to find that it has spread OPMV or some other disease through your collection is not a very good purchase at all.. and dont kid yourself that there are not people out there that have these diseases that are still selling animals to all and sundry.. and yes I know all animals should be quarantined etc etc but how many of you do this or do have very strict quarantine rules that they stick to without ever slipping up? not that many I would think..

maybe people should think about these things first and then look at price for the animals they intend to purchase.. Cheers

Last edited:
I think Dave has got what he asked for, at least I hope so and that's the main thing.
GTPs are advertised on this site, herptrader, RDU and elsewhere - those are what I would regard as current prices.

Hi folks, I was wondering what the average price generally asked for,

(a) 6 month old Green pythons

(b) 2 and a half year old Green pythons.

I am asking on behalf of a friend who for the first time will be offering a few for sale and he (and myself for that matter) are a bit out of touch with what is generally the going rate (for want of better words) and he has asked me for my advice.
All green python are of mixed linage e.g. URS x Adrian Hemins , Adrian Hemins X Stuart Barnes.
None of the adults are thought to be of Australian blood lines.
I realise that an animal is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for so please forget that line of response if you would.
All greens are perfectly healthy and established feeders held by one of the best keepers this country is ever likely to come across (in my humble opinion). I have no pics but I am told they are fine looking critters. Comments very much appreciated.

Kind Regards Dave

(a) I have seen them for $1200 - $2000 this season just gone.

(b) Seen young adults for sale around $2500 - $4000

But just tell him to put what he wants on them.... People will buy them if they think it's a good deal on a healthy snake.

Greens are awesome snakes to look at but hell boring to keep :D

Michael / Waterrat. In no way am i having a go or a dig. But just simply asking a question. You say that is GTP prices go much lower
than they are now, that you would rather give them away to friends than sell them to other hobbyists.

Why is that??

Wouldn't you want to give the opportunity for keepers with shallower pockets to experience keeping
this species?

Jay, I might have said that but I don't think I set any limit on how low. Obviously, if the prices are so low that the breeding program becomes unfeasible, it'll be the time to modify what I have been doing. That's not to say I stop keeping and breeding GTPs, I just would stop selling them.

To answer you second question, I would prefer to give them to those I know would look after them and to those keepers I respect. When it comes to dispersing larger number of juveniles at cheap price, it's hard to assess every individual buyer and probably wouldn't want to do that anyway. I gave few yearlings to Bob Buckley and to few other friends in the past, Last week I sold a slightly imperfect juvenile for a very cheap price, we gave away the twins but at the end of the day I value my snakes too much to sell / give them just to anyone.
I also have to wonder if "keepers with shallow pockets" would have the means to invest in what's needed to keep this species, especially down south.
I trust this answers your questions.

Thanks for replying and i see validity in your points. However, what if everyone had the same views. What if people stopped breeding Childreni
and other less valuable snakes? Where would this leave the hobby?

Also, just because someone can not afford the initial outlay of a GTP or Albino a few years ago, dos not mean they can not afford to maintain
them in their care??

I know personally i would not have been able to afford $10k on a snake (heck...... that would go towards a house deposit), however i
can easily manage heating, food and cage construction.

I agree with Jay about the costs of maintaining a GTP being less of an issue than the price.

ALthough there seem to be a lot of people who don't like to read it, it is INEVITABLE that the the price of GTP's will drop as they become more common. The reason that it has not done so already is because to own them you need a license that is more difficult to obtain and this distorts the market, because they are reserved for the more committed enthusiasts. However, this will even out as the hobby grows. It's bad luck for those who have invested heavily in them in the past but that's the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
As time goes by the prices will continue to fall, as we have seen.

I also have to wonder if "keepers with shallow pockets" would have the means to invest in what's needed to keep this species, especially down south.

do you mean a plastic tub,heat cord/mat a water bowl and some perches????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back