lumps on DP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with this?

(if you haven't please don't reply)
IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

originally thats what i thought but it has been treated for worms several times now and the lumps have grown larger!
the photo's are a new lot that have appeared over the last two weeks!

Sorry for replying but it may be helpful to give some more details.

Looks a lot like skin worm, they need to be cut out don't they? How did it manage to get so many? only other snakes I have seem with that many have been wild green tree snakes.

They're not skin worms - skin worms grow slowly over a long period of time, and don't occur in captive snakes fed on domestic rodents. They mostly appear in snakes which eat frogs as a major part of their diet.

I would say they may be either an infection (blood tests will indicate if this is the case) or tumours - lumpy tumours are often the first sign of Diamond Python Syndrome. You would know that this is a progressive, always fatal disease. A biopsy of the lumps would definitely be the way to go I would say.

Jamie.

They could also be cysts. A reptile puts a capsule around an infected are so they it doesnt travel into the rest of the body. A needle biopsy should give the answer. You do need a vet

are they soft or hard? treated a coastal with lumps similar which had air under the skin most probably trauma/ruptured air sac , yeah tape worm cysts take a while to show up and will go away a while after worming. a needle aspirate would be good and then as python said some blood tests would be a good next step

Last edited:
Thanks Jamie for the reply
Cris im sorry i didnt mean to sound rude with the please dont reply comment but i didnt want this thread filled with comments like "I'd take it to a vet" as im in the process of arranging a trip down to sydney to have it looked at! in the mean time i just wanted some opinions from people that have seen or dealt with a condition like this
the short story, I bought it from last wild expo, the seller was trying to sell it off lic for a friend so I assumed it must have been wild caught! it had a few lumps down towards the last quarter of the snake which i assumed being wild caught would just be a minor case of worms, after getting the snake home I noticed it had very little strength compared to a healthy python of the same size and had a (im not sure how to explain it but perhaps) soggy muscle tone! I thought this could be due to a case of worms and husbandry issues from the previous owner!
I gave it a few large feeds to try to give it a bit of condition and then started treatment for the worms, the lumps down the last quarter of the snake did not disappear but flattened out a slight amount and also grew in size slightly, I decided to give it a break from the worming treatment and everything stayed as is until around 2 weeks ago when I had the snake out for some sun i noticed the lumps were slightly larger again and since then the large amount behind the neck shown in the picture have appeared

Jamie is there anywhere you would recommend taking it to?
I think from here sydney is probably going to be my best bet

cheers

if its fluid then it could be bacterial, hard to say and cant help you with vets down there, but that would be your best option. im doing some work on diamond python syndrome and that is not a symptom of the pythons im working with, but i wouldnt disregard it.

are they soft or hard? treated a coastal with lumps similar which had air under the skin most probably trauma/ruptured air sac ,

I would have to agree with this. I have had DPS infected diamonds develop this problem after having a tube with a small camera on the end passed down their throats for observations. These 'bubbles' disappeared after being pricked with a needle. Punctured air sack I say.

Instead of sydney I can save you some km's, as we have Pete Nosworthy here on the central Coast. He does all the ARP animals and has pretty well seen it all. Greencross Vet at Wyoming 43252374. I see a lot of these on wild diamonds.

Here's a rather crap pic of the first diamond I ever lost to DPS. You can see a few lumps/bubbles.

Attachments

• DCP_0024_2.jpg
    DCP_0024_2.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 206
Alex Rosenwax and his team in Waterloo (Sydney) are great with herps. The practice is called 'BirdVet'.

Instead of sydney I can save you some km's, as we have Pete Nosworthy here on the central Coast. He does all the ARP animals and has pretty well seen it all. Greencross Vet at Wyoming 43252374. I see a lot of these on wild diamonds.
+1, plus he is near my house so we can meet up for a beer :lol:

Got a great herp vet on the mid north coast mate.
Camden Haven Veterinary Clinic Gavin Rippon B.V.Sc. Veterinary Surgeon
476 Ocean Drive, Laurieton
dot.gif
Contact Details:
02 6559 9828

I agree with Jamie about the DPS. We had these on diamond pythons a few years back. We subseauently lost the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back