Western Bearded Dragons. My New Beauties!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toastie

Reaction score
Well today i purchased my first pair of Bearded Dragons! :D Should be a fun new experience since I only own snakes atm. I'm unsure of the sex of both of them. Currently only being fed on crickets and woodies apparently as told by previous owner. They seem like two happy healthy dragons both been active most the day since I put them straight into there new home! Hope you enjoy the pics, sorry if they are big, forget how to resize :?

DSCF0872.jpg

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0859.jpg

Congrats! lovely animals and a beautiful home for them too! Are they tiles on the bottom?

Wow..
Great look beardies!

May i suggest something though?
Instead of the CHE, use a bright globe, they will LOVE it!
FANTASTIC looking enclosure too!
Did you make that background urself? Looks amazing.. And tips for making if thats what you did? im looking at trying to create something similar..

Congrats!! :D I recently got a couple of Western Beardeds too. So much fun!!

Nice work Toastie - cracking setup and a beautiful pair of lizards to boot. The only suggestion I'll give has already been mentioned by lloydy,
and that's to put a basking globe in there. Beardies really do love to sit directly under a hot (40+), bright white light to bask, but having said that,
they also need somewhere cooler to escape the heat to thermoregulate. That log in there is perfect; if it was my cage, I'd simply replace the ceramic
heater with a 100 or 150W daylight globe. You'd probably be pretty safe to remove the wire cage around it too. Just my 2cents mate; for your first lizards,
you've done an absolutely bang-up job!
Nic

Cheers for the advice guys, really appreciated! i'll check into a new basking globe!

1issie hah yeah that pink spot or two is actually raspberry juice :p hah they haven't been fed veges before so I put some endive and raspberry in there for awhile... they didn't really try it do you think its too early for them to eat veg? they are 4 months old.

Thanks for the nice words everybody

my central beardie is about the same age i hand feed him bannana,grated apple,grated carrot and cucumber.
but he dosen't swallow straight away he leaves it in his mouth then swallows it exepect bannana he scoffs it,
toastie you could blend some of the above together to make a paste to sryinge or just leave it with the cuties.:)

They're gorgeous! I love the angular heads compared to the more bulky central bearded dragons! The enclosure has me drooling... great work!
:D

Cheers :) I replaced their Ceramic Heat Emitter with a basking globe, The extra light is great for making the enclosure POP! The thermal gradient seems to be abit steeper (approx 8°C from hot spot to cold spot compared to approx 4°C with the CHE) which is better i would say to thermoregulate.

Spot on Toastie! ('Scuse the pun) They'll love you for it! Are you handling them a bit to get them used to you? The earlier the better, imo, and the more amount of time you can spend with them the better. Let them eat as many of those woodies and crix as they want, and they'll stay nice and healthy. Here's a good guide for what's good to feed your beardies...
Make sure you post some more pics of 'em!
Nic

Cheers Nic yea been using that guide for the past year researching hah its really good, My mum actually grows endive in the backyard and its great it can be used pretty much as a staple veg (hope she doesn't mind me pitching afew leaves now and then.) Today i hand fed them some fresh endive leaves and they dug right into it which is good as they have never had veg before. One of them is in the middle of a shed so yea its all action at the moment, its great fun already seeing alot of personality from both of them!

That's awesome toastie; great to see you did so much research before you got them. If you haven't started up a couple woodie colonies, I'd definitely recommend it. Between them and your home-grown veg, you'll have no food bills, especially if you grow the carrots to feed the woodies!
Sounds like they're already unafraid of you, which is good news. As they get a bit older, they may start scrapping a bit; that's when you have to watch out for nipped tails and toes. If you have 2 males, you'll eventually have to separate them too...
Would love a couple of these guys in my collection one day. Keep up the great work,
Nic

Yeah Nic got a woodie colony going for now! hard to buy bulk here in WA so i've started a colony with about 450 woodies hopefully see an increase in population soon. Thanks Bigtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back