Is my Diamond Python trying to hibernate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thought it best to not say what I would like to say about this setup situation ..............as it is OBVIOUS what the next thread will be about!!!! all I will say is "GIRL WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEEEEEE ....."

A 2 minute check of the Wiki on this site provided this information:

"The diamond python it requires UV-A and UV-B light (sun light). This can not be achieved through glass as the glass filters out the much needed UV light. Although a diamond python can be kept like this, it requires a regular dose of sunlight each day for at least 1 hr a week, or UV-A/UV-B producing lights in its enclosure. Their habitat temperatures are much cooler than most other Aussie pythons with a warm end at 27degrees Celsius, and a cool end of 20 degrees Celsius."

And as has already been said an ESCAPE proof enclosure,( cardboard isn't going to do that,) which you should have had BEFORE getting your pet. Unless you want to lose him permanantly go and get a proper enclosure TODAY. and it doesn't mean getting a bigger fishtank, the glass lids wont stop him escaping either,

I used to breed diamonds. This time of year adults used to get a basking spot of 30 degrees for 3hrs in the morning. During summer they used to get 5hrs. The rest of the time their enclosure was room temp. They come from a cool climate and dont need high temps all day. It would be similar to newcastle.

Sounds like you don't even have a thermostat? You clearly have bought a snake without doing an ounce of research or preparation.. If you don't have the right tank or knowledge to keep a snake DON'T buy one until you do! This drives me crazy, and it seems so common. How hard is it to google snake care and realise you need a big tank with a thermostat and a heat gradient? Have you even tested the temps in the "cool" and "hot" end? To me the tank looks too small to even HAVE a cool or hot end.

Do your research.

May also be trying to find a mate.

Where did you get the animal from?

He's got a lid, its cardboard but not great, i make sure there are no gaps and put a towel over the top when i go to bed and he still seems to find a way to sneak out :/

shouldn't you have made sure u had everything for the snake before u got him? a snake 3/4 of that size could push a cardboard lid up and get out

judging by your last thread http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/help-diamond-python-139756 your snake is around 2 metres in length,....you have 6ft of pure muscle and a determination that needs to be seen to be believed, and unless you have a solid lid that wont lift or flex if YOU try and open it, then your snake will escape, and from what i can see you haven't changed a great deal in the last week to rectify your lack of lid.

out of curiosity, what size is the tank he is currently in ???

Sounds like you don't even have a thermostat? You clearly have bought a snake without doing an ounce of research or preparation.. If you don't have the right tank or knowledge to keep a snake DON'T buy one until you do! This drives me crazy, and it seems so common. How hard is it to google snake care and realise you need a big tank with a thermostat and a heat gradient? Have you even tested the temps in the "cool" and "hot" end? To me the tank looks too small to even HAVE a cool or hot end.

Do your research.

That's probably why she said she has a hot end of 30 and a cool end of only 27. lol

if u can afford a diamond python, u can afford a decent tank. go to bunnings, get a few sheets of mdf and some nails and make a box. while ur there pick up a small padlock so u can LOCK the lid so it cant escape. tell them u want a box 4ft x 2ft x2ft n they will cut the mdf into the right sizes for you, all u have to do it knock it together. y would u go n get a snake without first having the correct viv set up? its not like a puppy. maybe giv it to someone with the correct housing until u can afford to get it set up properly, its prob stressed coz it cant get cool in its tank. its just cruel really.

if u can afford a diamond python, u can afford a decent tank. go to bunnings, get a few sheets of mdf and some nails and make a box. while ur there pick up a small padlock so u can LOCK the lid so it cant escape. tell them u want a box 4ft x 2ft x2ft n they will cut the mdf into the right sizes for you, all u have to do it knock it together. y would u go n get a snake without first having the correct viv set up? its not like a puppy. maybe giv it to someone with the correct housing until u can afford to get it set up properly, its prob stressed coz it cant get cool in its tank. its just cruel really.
sounds too easy duznt it , poor snake .

Or look on eBay, just get something happening today coz u know what, if it wants to get cold, its nice n chilly outside, n once its out there, you wont see it again.

How long have you had this snake? Was any reading done into enclosure requirements? size? heat gradients? hour of heat
offered etc?

I can not believe how blase you are about him escaping constantly!!!

Guys come on, dont turn this into a flame thread, 1 person has pointed out she could of done more research lets not all do it, dont want to demoralize people.
But I seriously think you should buy an enclosure today you've made an agreement with this animal that you would care for it to the best of your abilities you need to honor that saying you are working on it wont cut it when tomorrow you could wake up with no snake.

im sure there is someone near u that could accommodate it for u for a few weeks till u have the $ to go buy it what it needs,

anyone wana offer??

I didn't buy the snake, a friend got it off a registered breeder, and his girlfriend didn't want it so he brought it over with the tank. I've always wanted a snake, and I've done the best i can with what i've got. We don't have much money which is why i've never bought one before. I don't want to just let it go in the backyard, i don't know anyone that can take care of it. im not in contact with the person who gave me the snake. So under the circumstances, there's not a great deal i can do. I've got him food, he's got a hide, which he hasn't left since last night (no more escapes), he's got a tank, with a good substrate and a bowl of water, he's got a heat lamp and a thermometer.
I'm doing the best i can with what i've got, and all these posts are very repetitive, if your going to post something, read the thread first and don't bother posting anything if its something i've already said im working on.
So it would be alot more cruel letting it go and get hit on the highway that is right outside.
Please don't post anything unless it will help!

Like i said i already have, and i haven't found anyone near here who can take better care of it.

You should post in the freebie section and I'm 100% sure that someone will definitely take it off your hands. There's tons of people living in newcastle. I assume you don't have the correct licensing? I suggest you put up an advertising today. my apologies if I'm wrong.

you turn the heat off when the air gets too warm? im sorry im confused with this. Jasper should only be getting 8 or so hours (less even) a day of heat (you need a thermostat too) at around 27-30 at the hot end and the cool end ideally should be 24 or less. as cool as it can get is best. and deff a bigger enclosure with a lid but you have already mentioned you're working on that. more hides as well. not entirely sure where the tank is placed, but because he is in a glass enclosure it would be best not to put him infront of a window as it can intensly heat the enclosure. :) hope this helps

Okay, i'll be looking for a better heat lamp today. No he's not in front of a window or anything
I though because he sat right under the heat lamp so much that he needed the heat, this post definitely helps. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back