Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antaresia_boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
I've been wanting to get a monitor of some sort for a while now, and I've been thinking I would love a lace monitor, but didn't think I could keep them outside in Melbourne until a few days ago I saw that others did. So, I have a few questions :)
First off, who keeps lace monitors outside in Melbourne or places with similar climates (and would there be a more appropriate monitor for my place?)
If it was an outdoor enclosure, what else could I keep in the aviary? Water dragons? Blue tongues/stumpy tails? Turtles?
What sort of heating would I need to keep them comfortable?
Would they need to come inside for the winter?
Hehe, sorry for the list, just need to be able to sell this to the parents :) well, appreciate any replies, I'm back to my good old friend google :)
EDIT: If you think theres a more appropriate monitor for my area, please tell me!
James.

You could never keep any other 'small' reptile with a Lace Monitor. Water dragons, Blue tongues/stumpy tails and possibly even small Turtles would end up as food. Lace Monitors are large and powerful predators.

mertens and mitchells on the other hand can be kept with turtles and waterdragons and even frillies, beardies and blueys

As mentioned. You cant keep anything with a lacie as it will soon be made into food. Also if you do plan to keep a lacie out doors in VIC, you will need to make a hotbox for it to spend its time in out of the cold. Aim for it to be around 35 - 40 degrees. Monitors love the heat but you need to maintain a safe temp for them as you dont want it to over heat either.

Any reptile has the possibility to overheat. Better to be safe than sorry dont you think?
There is also the chance of contact burns if its to hot.

Last edited:
hmm, thanks everyone. Still really just deciding what monitor to get. The snakes are nice, but I'm interested in trying something else now :)
If I had a hotbox would i be able to keep basically any monitor outside as long as they had that to warm up?
and...What would you suggest as a first time monitor? my mum found out how big laceys get and is suddenly less keen...:p
Thanks

Ackies are generally suggested as a good first time monitor. I'm after some though, so if you find someone who has them in melb PLEAAAASE let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back