Baby Gekko in bathroom - where should I put it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahF

Reaction score
Hi, I have noticed a 2-3cm tiny baby Gekko living in my bathroom this week. Its a bit risky for it there since someone could accidentally squish it in the night, as it likes to rest in the grout between the tiles close to the toilet. There have already been a couple of near misses. But the shower does make the bathroom warm & humid in the mornings, and the water splashes on the ground could potentially be giving it drinking water. There doesn't sem to be a lot of food there, but then again its not dead so it must be eating something at least?

What I'm wondering is could it have chosen the bathroom specifically for these things? Should leave it there and just be more careful? Or should we put it somewhere else? My only concern with putting it outside is there might be more predators, and I'm not sure if Gekkos are territorial? There are quite a few living outside on our deck near the outdoor lights- would the other Geckos kill it if we put it there too?

Thanks a lot!

If its just an Asian House Gecko, I wouldn't worry too much :)
Chuck it outside...if you can catch it ;)

Where abouts are you located? If its an asian house gecko squash it or just throw it outside,
if its something native just stick it outside, or you could leave it indoors if you don't mind it crapping all over the place :lol:
don't worry about it though there are millions from where it came from if you do accidently step on it or a predator takes it.

If you're a real hard... you should kill it - they are a pest after all. Otherwise, chuck it outside, or let nature take its course. AHGs are taking over the niches of all our lovely native gex, so I just can't advocate helping to little sucker.

I think its an Asian House Gecko. Is there something wrong with Asian house Geckos that would make you guys make me want to kill it? They've never done anything wrong by me & they eat mosquitoes, so why would I kill it when there's a chance to help it?

Hi, Sorry you must have been typing at the same time as me. I have never had any native geckos living indoors- are you sure they `steal' the places where natives would live, or do they just prefer different habitats?

kill it because its a pest. They are ugly, dirty, compete with native geckos and crap everywhere. perfectly good reasons?

Yes, they definitely compete. The same way that rabbits took the niches of native mammals, AHGs do the same for our geckos. If you have heaps of AHGs, it's probably partly why you've never seen native ones - also, they're a lot sneakier :)

hrmmmm dont even know if its a AHG yet ..... might be a native .... try and find out ...

i think before u do anything with it try posting a pic so people can ID it just in case its a pest or not

Its colour is a kind of light pinkish-brown, with big dark eyes, and a slight , indistinct skin pattern. Its proportions are roughtly: nose to first set of legs- 1cm, distance between first set of legs and second =1 cm, tail length = 1cm

Its colour is a kind of light pinkish-brown, with big dark eyes, and a slight , indistinct skin pattern. Its proportions are roughtly: nose to first set of legs- 1cm, distance between first set of legs and second =1 cm, tail length = 1cm

SOUNDS like an AHG....

Women are angels, and, when someone breaks our wings. . . . we simply continue to fly . . .
on a broomstick . . . we are flexible like that

Lol, I love your sig:) You made my day.

Does it have claws on all toes or is it missing a claw on the inside toes?
Also does it have a couple of small spiny looking things on its tail?
Or you can just post a pic and we can tell you, Id say its a AHG by the way your describing them congregating under lights etc, but there are a number of native geckos that most people cant tell apart from AHG's.

Hi! He's really little- no signs of claws on the feet or tail yet. The tail is skinny, but smooth and rounded on the end. I just had another look at the faint pattern on it, and it looks like very light bands that start from his tail and go over his body, spaced about 1mm apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back