I'm new to snakes please help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcros32

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm new to the whole snake thing and need advise. I have a 45x45x50 reptile one enclosure with a coastal carpet python "monty" he is 7months old. The heating is a exo-terra light with a 150w infared bulb and heat mat on the bottom, temp sits roughly on 30degrees. i have put snake aspen as the bedding with a vine and plants as decorations. Is this setup ok? and have i chosen a good heat source for monty? Also how often should i handle him?

the 45x45x50 is in centermeters? if yes it wont be long until the snake out grows that . i would be thinking about making/buying a melamine enclosure [ as the wood holds the heat in better- and your going to need a bigger enclosure then the one u have now] .
as for lighting - i think 150wt infra red is too much for such a small enclosure . u dont need both [ heat mat and basking light]
is the infrared globe on a thermostat ? have u got a cage around the light ? have u got a pic of the setup [ as they say a pic says a 1000 words]

as for handling , how long have u had the snake for ? if not long let it settle in [ no handling for a couple of weeks ]

can you post a pic of your setup ? it would help a lot if we can see where you have the lamp etc set up. does it have a hot and a cold 'end' or is the whole tank sitting at 30c ?

..... and do you have it set up with a thermostat ?

i'm sure there will be more questions asked,

Oh, and welcome to APS, enjoy

i'm really gonna have to type quicker : ) You have stated a lot of things i was thinking of Zoojas

Yes it was 45x45x50cm, the light is on a little clip on stand on the outside/top of the enclosure, and the heat mat is under a rock cave he curls up in. My temperature inside is on 30degrees but i think its coz my enclosure has alot of breathing holes and a wire mesh lid so alot of the heat escapes. I will get a picture of it and put it up to show you, I have only had monty for 3 days and havn't touched him yet but i am itching to get him out lol. As for the thermostat i am picking one up next week off ebay. So i should get a bigger enclosure then? he is only about 30-40cm long.

i'd start looking at buying or building a bigger enclosure now, once he is settled and feeding well and nice and happy, he will turn into a weed and grow at a staggering rate....

on the right track mate but that heating seems overkill..... i use 100w lamps on my 4ft enclosures, what are you using as a thermostat? make sure you always run heating off a thermostat

So i should get a bigger enclosure then? he is only about 30-40cm long.

You don't have to do it immediately, but yes at some stage he will need something (much) bigger.
If you are the DIY type, go to Bunnings and get some Melamine, hinges etc and whack one together yourself for next to nothing, otherwise check the classifieds on here, Trading Post or Ebay and see what you can pick up there.
The 150w infrared you have would be good in the bigger enclosure.

And welcome :)

Hey I would ditch the heat mat and just use the infared heat bulb.for an enclosure that size I would not go over 75watt.I use 75watt bulbs in my 3ft glass enclosures.

Sit the heat lamp holder on one side of the mesh lid so you can get a heat gradiet(hotter on one side) and that bulb looks way to big for that lamp holder I would definatley use either a 50 or 60 watt heat bulb

Also make sure u moniter temps with a good thremometer.have u got a thermostat as well?

i might also add get rid of the sand/bark use newspaper or breeders choice (compressed newspaper thats designed as kitty litter)

I have a digital monitor and the probe sits on the bottom and it reads 30degrees. I havnt got a thermostat yet im getting one off ebay. i have a spare 100w infa red bulb would that be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back