Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxMelissaxx

Reaction score
So many experienced keepers on here, and just wondering how many years you guys have been keeping snakes for? What age did you get your first?

I got my first python - a Childreni, when I was 8. I'm 22 now, so that's 14 years so far! Have only had about 8 or so pythons all up though, so nothing major. Now that I'm a little older and have more money to play with, I intend on building up a decent collection over the next couple of years.

Haven't had a python for a little over a year now, but am about to get two little Bredlis from Fishead to start me up :)

So, when did you guys start and what did you start off with?

EDIT: Thought I should add - I did a search, and came up with nothing, so apologies if this has been asked before!

Last edited:
my first snake was a bredli when i was 14 i am now 16 and i have had around 10 species of python

got my first coastal a few months ago i now have a coastal and a pair of NT womas and hope to get more asap, i want to try get a hypo bredli and hopefully a albino darwin sometime next year.

Got my first spotted when I was thirteen. I'm now 26 so 13 yrs, and I've still got him :)

I got my first when I was 14 and am now 31 so if my maths is any good thats about 17 odd years. I now have about 31 snakes and 20something lizzards monitors and geckos. When does the addiction stop?

only started in Jan '09 with a yearling coastal, i now have 6 Morelia. i wish i had 'discovered' these beautiful creatures 20 years ago, as any hatchy that i get now is likely to out live me.....

Had my 1st snake, a Childreni, for less than a week, but it's been a lifetime of waiting! One thing very obvious from the responses here, no-one ever sticks with just one. My little children's is obviously just a gateway snake...
Nic

Had my 1st snake, a Childreni, for less than a week, but it's been a lifetime of waiting! One thing very obvious from the responses here, no-one ever sticks with just one. My little children's is obviously just a gateway snake...
Nic

He's not a gateway snake, he's a guinea pig, your first snake is a bit like your first child, - trial and error - big learning curve you will learn a lot from him in the next few months, do yourself a favour and resist the urge to get another snake for 6 months, you will be amazed at how much he can teach you, about snake body language, how to set up their tanks so they are happy all sorts of things,their moods. I kept only 1 for 12 months, (tempted often, but resisted) and my coastal taught me heaps,

I got my first coastal carpet just over a year ago now, after going to a mate's party and seeing them there. she was approx 9mths old and his first successful breeding.. Since then (and now that my boyfriend has caught the bug), we have 3 beardies, 3 gorgeous but snappy little blonde macs, 2 blueys, and another 3 pythons on the way: another coastal carpet from NSW, and hopefully a breeding pair of B&G Jungles from NQ.. we are also having a ball making enclosures, rock walls,etc... so much fun!!!

i am immortal.. i envented 'snakes' 40 million years ago.. i have billions of them.. so beat that...lol..

He's not a gateway snake, he's a guinea pig, your first snake is a bit like your first child, - trial and error - big learning curve you will learn a lot from him in the next few months, do yourself a favour and resist the urge to get another snake for 6 months, you will be amazed at how much he can teach you, about snake body language, how to set up their tanks so they are happy all sorts of things,their moods. I kept only 1 for 12 months, (tempted often, but resisted) and my coastal taught me heaps,

Jax you are dead right - I learnt so much from my coastal, and still am. I have such a thirst for knowledge, and lately everything reminds me of herping.. love it!

I have been keeping snakes for 71 days and 14hours, and have a total of one in my collection.

Therefore I consider myself an expert and regularly post advice to newbys on this site, as a community service.

AM Pythons - Never picked you as the God type. But hey if God wants to come back to earth as a heavily tattooed, shaved head, cross dressing herper, then who an I to judge. PS - Can you make sure that I get a good deal in the afterlife/reincarnation.

i got my first snake in 2005 (i think) and now i cant stop thinking about reptiles !!! every time i hear someone say anything bad about a snake i mentally stab them in the face and proceed to "formally educate" them on how beautiful they are :) i love reptiles ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back