Tub talk

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i have an annoying problem since it has got colder of late

im using tubs of various sizes and now that we are having a cold spike here im having troubles keeping the heat up in the tubs im using the problem being they have those annoying wheels and the asociated gap on the bottem between the heat source and the actual base of the tub

i have the tubs at the moment lined up on a 25 and a 50w heatcord on a thermostat...... my other pet peeve with all the tubs is visibility is very poor to nil

so what tubs are you guys using and where are you getting them from idealy i am after tubs with a good sturdy (not flimsy escapable) tops, with good visibility and have a flat bottem so they sit directly on the heat cord

i wont have my hatchling and yearling racks up till the end of the year when ill be able to use tubs without lids.

i have been looking at systema (clear, flat bottem and blue sturdy locks) but having trouble finding them around here

cheers

No answer for you questions.. But feel your pain with the wheel thing.. Why do they insist on putting wheels on the bigger tubs????

Hi Kenshin, I use the Sistema tubs you mentioned, I got mine from big W at the end of last year, nice and solid. I also bought one from one that must be about 10l from Bunnings.
Hope that helps

Dont know how keen you are but when I was setting up my Orientalis tub I just got the soldering iron out and melted the bottom ledges off so it was flat.

Dont know how keen you are but when I was setting up my Orientalis tub I just got the soldering iron out and melted the bottom ledges off so it was flat.

lol that would have taken quiet awhile..... i thought thats where i saw them afew months ago i must take a trip to big w next week

i have no idea why they insist on the pokey wheels that always break anyway on the bottem even my little 30-35L tubs have them they are stupid i never thought it be so hard to find 30-160L tubs without bloody wheels

cheers

Or put a hole where there shouldn't be a hole :lol:

ahh yes the good old soldering iron, to bad i always manage to burn (repeatadly) my self with it every single time i use it
i know what you mean about the tubs, im having the same problem. :s ,

I just melted a spot on each side of the tubs the width of the cord so I could push the cord up and rest it on the bottom of the tub. A bit of a pain if you want to move the tub as you have to pull out the cord, but it does the trick.

I currently use Starmaid 52L tubs at the moment for my 18 month old Bredl's & 7-9 month old womas. Although my "kids" are getting their custom built adult enclosures built this year.
Just use a 13W heatmat up one end with a Microclimate 100 thermostat. Take temp readings using a non-contact thermometer & use those reading to set the temps, ignore the dial readings on the thermo.
Have the thermo probe on the floor/substrate over the heatmat.
Use a soldering iron to punch vent holes, best to do that outside as the fumes/smoke from the melting plastic surely couldn't be good for you.

The starmaid tubs get to a fair size without wheels. They have four small ridges about 2mm in height that I just cut off with a stanley knife for a flush bottom. For the smaller tubs I just use sistema tubs.

lol that would have taken quiet awhile..... i thought thats where i saw them afew months ago i must take a trip to big w next week

i have no idea why they insist on the pokey wheels that always break anyway on the bottem even my little 30-35L tubs have them they are stupid i never thought it be so hard to find 30-160L tubs without bloody wheels

cheers

i use starmaid tubs from big w,they come from 10l up to 115l tubs and do not have wheels,the lids seem a bit flimsy but i havent had a problem with an escapee yet.

I got my Sistema at Woolworths and its great.
The lid fits thight and locks down good so IMO they are pretty escape proof.
and they are microwave safe which is good when you put a heat source under it.

Hi

We went to Bunnings and managed to get 44 litre tubs with good visability and flat bottoms so maybe have a look there. I think there were large ones as well. I think Safeways (Woolworths) had 50 litre ones that had good visibility but I cant remember if they had wheels on the bottom. They were a special I dont think they always have them.

Hubby suggested putting a piece of wood underneath to raise the heatmat up to contact the base of the tub. But because the visability was so bad we went and bought another tub. I couldnt stand not being able to just walk past and have a look inside the tub without taking the lid off to make sure she was ok.

Hope that helps

Elizabeth

i use starmaid tubs from big w,they come from 10l up to 115l tubs and do not have wheels,the lids seem a bit flimsy but i havent had a problem with an escapee yet.
i am also using starmaid tubs , im using the 52L version but u can get other sizes . the bottom isnt flat but i have found that small floor tiles fit well . the thing i like about them is they are pretty clear . and there AUS made >> starmaid.com.au ? Storemates

plasticsandstorage.com.au can sell you large volumes of sistema stuff. When sales were on at coles etc I could not find stores with enough, if any. He is not as cheap as supermarket though.
I cant tell you first hand, but some one I know swears by IKEA for this type of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back