Sparky help please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
225 watts wont cause any harm, power boards will be fine.

one extension lead with one power board and plug therostat into power boardin my opinion i would not double up on power boards that to me is a bit dangerous

225 watts wont cause any harm, power boards will be fine.

one extension lead with one power board and plug therostat into power boardin my opinion i would not double up on power boards that to me is a bit dangerous

I think I'll just get a quote from the local sparky and see what they charge. If it's not worth it then I'll just go with my new plan! powerpoint on the wall - extension cord - thermostat - powerboard - heating elements (225 watts). I think even tho the heat cord is on a thermostat it'll get hot enough to heat up a tile. so yeah better safe then sorry!

Turn off the main switch from the fusebox, unscrew the GPO, unscrew the power wires, screw wires into new GPO, screw in the new GPO and vwalah?

Turn off the main switch from the fusebox, unscrew the GPO, unscrew the power wires, screw wires into new GPO, screw in the new GPO and vwalah?

haha yeah I'm not one to mess around with electricals mate. haha! imagine if I electrocuted myself! wouldn't look good. lol

i have one power outlet in my room, im runing an extention cord to a 8 pin adaptor then another 6 pin off that, im running phone charger, oil heater, computer, sterio, 2 computer monitors, 2 thermostats, 2 enclosure lights,1x 100w ceramic and a 150w ceramic, cable modem, heat mat and sometimes a ps3 or xbox and plan to add another enclosure with heat lamp and light.

Overall you are all on the right track but at the end of the day you are overloading the circut.without getting to tech you need to know how much is coming off the circut it is unsafe to have two boards pluged into each other for 1.i know people do it but it just takes that one time and boom.if you are going to do it this way and take a chance you want to get a hpm industrial power board they have there own breaker.im a plumber /elec and this is just friendly advice.at the end of the day you should be getting a licensed electrican in to look at it and advise you cheers strex

i have one power outlet in my room, im runing an extention cord to a 8 pin adaptor then another 6 pin off that, im running phone charger, oil heater, computer, sterio, 2 computer monitors, 2 thermostats, 2 enclosure lights,1x 100w ceramic and a 150w ceramic, cable modem, heat mat and sometimes a ps3 or xbox and plan to add another enclosure with heat lamp and light.

lol wow that's a lot! haha. how long have you had that setup for?

Overall you are all on the right track but at the end of the day you are overloading the circut.without getting to tech you need to know how much is coming off the circut it is unsafe to have two boards pluged into each other for 1.i know people do it but it just takes that one time and boom.if you are going to do it this way and take a chance you want to get a hpm industrial power board they have there own breaker.im a plumber /elec and this is just friendly advice.at the end of the day you should be getting a licensed electrican in to look at it and advise you cheers strex

Yeah will do mate, I'll probably just end up getting another powerpoint!

Yeah will do mate, I'll probably just end up getting another powerpoint!

Because I posted I have a duty of care here..lol
The BEST possible scenario for you Snakelove...is get a qualified Sparky to change your existing single GPO to a double and get him to install another beside it....that way you have 4 x outlets to plug into which is MORE than adequate for your needs....it SHOULD cost you less than $100! Good to see that you have actually thought about it..well done mate! ;)

the other thing to remember is if there was a fire due to those power boards and insurance found it to be the cause then you arent covered not trying to be a downer but these are just the facts have a great weekend cheers strex

iv been running like this wall socket-> extention cord-> thermostat-> powerboard-> extention cord-> another powerboard

this seems to be the only way i can run a wall of enclosures with a board at ither end on the one thermostat (1200-1800w thermostat capacity) all enclosures run 100w bulbs

the other setups are wall socket-> extention cord-> thermostat-> 1-2 powerboards i run that on my more expensive thermostats that only do 600w of heating which for me equates to 6 enclosures

Because I posted I have a duty of care here..lol
The BEST possible scenario for you Snakelove...is get a qualified Sparky to change your existing single GPO to a double and get him to install another beside it....that way you have 4 x outlets to plug into which is MORE than adequate for your needs....it SHOULD cost you less than $100! Good to see that you have actually thought about it..well done mate! ;)

Yeah I've actually just called a few people already and the price range varies a bit so I'm gonna take my time. One guy charges $96 for a double including labour and everything. and another guy charged me $157! lol haha I think I have to keep callling people. haha

the other thing to remember is if there was a fire due to those power boards and insurance found it to be the cause then you arent covered not trying to be a downer but these are just the facts have a great weekend cheers strex

Yeah will take that into account mate. I won't risk it haha.

iv been running like this wall socket-> extention cord-> thermostat-> powerboard-> extention cord-> another powerboard

this seems to be the only way i can run a wall of enclosures with a board at ither end on the one thermostat (1200-1800w thermostat capacity) all enclosures run 100w bulbs

the other setups are wall socket-> extention cord-> thermostat-> 1-2 powerboards i run that on my more expensive thermostats that only do 600w of heating which for me equates to 6 enclosures

Yeah just the thought of having a house fire scares the crap out of me so I'm gonna do this proper haha.

Yeah I've actually just called a few people already and the price range varies a bit so I'm gonna take my time. One guy charges $96 for a double including labour and everything. and another guy charged me $157! lol haha I think I have to keep callling people. haha
Mate, if i lived in Brissy i would do it for you for the price of the GPO's...Its a 15 minute job!!! Go buy the power points yourself and PM me...

Mate, if i lived in Brissy i would do it for you for the price of the GPO's...Its a 15 minute job!!! Go buy the power points yourself and PM me...

Is that all I need to get? no cables needed? just the powerpoints? haha I don't think I wanna risk burning the house down mate! haha.

You'll also need, 1m x 2.5mm twin + earth cable....and a "C" clip! i'll explain...;)

You'll also need, 1m x 2.5mm twin + earth cable....and a "C" clip! i'll explain...;)

I think I'm just gonna wait til I get a reasonable quote and get the professionals to do it coz I absolutely have no idea! haha. It wouldn't be a funny story to tell about the time I burned a house down lol.

Good Idea, but to save you costs, buy the gear and get a licensed electrician to install the GPO's...they will always mark up on materials...get it?? Good luck!! :)

Good Idea, but to save you costs, buy the gear and get a licensed electrician to install the GPO's...they will always mark up on materials...get it?? Good luck!! :)

Ah! yeah that's an awesome idea. When I'm ready to buy the stuff i'll throw you a pm and double check again what I need. talk soon! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back