What is a cape york carpet python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

swan91

is a cape york carpet python a locality of a coastal/ darwin? or is it a jungle carpet python? Is its temperament similar to a jungle or is it a bit more docile?
Thanks

do you mean cape york spotted pythons closly related to chirldreni otherwise known as spotted blonde macs

no, not spotted pythons, this is some species of carpet python.
I know its Morelia spilota ... but does it act more like a jungle? it resembles a jungle sort of..

"Cape York carpets" occupy dry habitats whilst "jungle carpers" are rainforest dwellers. Taxonomically, they are the same species and if you believe in subspecies than they are different. I don't know what their temperament is like.

Hi,
I have pair of Cape Yorks, which I have had for a year, they are adults, and should be old enough to breed. Mine are very docile. and handle well but I have only kept these 2. I think mine are typical looking Cape Yorks. They have no yellow on them and are more grey patterning. They are elegant looking snakes, and the pattern is different to your typical looking jungles. Unfortunately I don't know where on Cape York this stock originated from. I have kept many typical jungles and they have tended to be snappy. However I think temperements also vary a lot between individuals, as well as species/subspecies. I bought these when I bought someones collection, when i sell them i will be hoping to get about a thousand for the pair.

Hi,
I have pair of Cape Yorks, which I have had for a year, they are adults, and should be old enough to breed. Mine are very docile. and handle well but I have only kept these 2. I think mine are typical looking Cape Yorks. They have no yellow on them and are more grey patterning. They are elegant looking snakes, and the pattern is different to your typical looking jungles. Unfortunately I don't know where on Cape York this stock originated from. I have kept many typical jungles and they have tended to be snappy. However I think temperements also vary a lot between individuals, as well as species/subspecies. I bought these when I bought someones collection, when i sell them i will be hoping to get about a thousand for the pair.

Good luck with that mate, i bought one for $200... and honestly i think the reason behind "cape york" carpet is because it isn't a jungle or a coastal or a Darwin. they are there own kind of snake. To me (not saying i'm an expert in genetics) they are more like coastals, they get that kind of size to them, they are docile (well the ones i have seen are) but colour is alot different to jungles and coastals.

Last edited:
Hi there I've all ways believed that there are 2 subspieces of cape york carpets from the jungles and the coastals, but loads of people will argue against me on that one. I own 4, one pair is simular size, pattern, voodoo head markings and temprement as a jungle, loves to be up hight in there enclosures rarely on the ground and is ferosous eaters.
View attachment 266616View attachment 266617
and my other pair is the size of coastal my female is about 3 meters and the male is 2.5meters in length, they have a thicker body and there heads are broader my female has no voodoo and my male sort of does there temprements are also a tad agro both are ferocious eaters.
View attachment 266618View attachment 266619
yet I bred this pair in 2008 and the baby was very timid and just gorgous natured
View attachment 266620

I agree they are different in looks and size to a coastal carpet. Maybe a different sub species of spilota, but definately a different colour variant. They are located on the western slopes of the athertons as Michael stated in the dryer forests, starting at around The Lynd heading north a few hundred kilometers. By the time you reach Wenlock river they have stopped and then you find the strange loooking Wenlocks, which again are not jungles. They are not a cheynei in anyway. Size appears to be a stocky well built 1.80 metres. Temperment is normally docile

As for Cape York Spotteds. There are spotteds found right to the top of Cape York, but the Blonds are only found in a small area from just north of Cairns to Cooktown. A Cape York spotted could be anything, just like a Qld Carpet.

As far as I've heard, there is a Cape York locality Jungle, go talk to michelle and kel worley about those, threre is a northern and a southern type, they breed both of them. And there is also an intergrade, which I beleive is a Darwin/Jungle type. Of the non M.S, I beleive there is also a Cape York spotted python.

I have a few wenlocks here.They are on the books as jungles however to me they are totally different to them.I think they should be classed as mcdowelli

At the SOFAR Expo at Newcastle a few months ago "Snake Ranch" were selling Cape York Jungles at $99, my brother bought 1 and Bart70 bought 1 and from what i seen of the others there for all intents and purposes they looked just like the yellow and black M.S.Cheynei and as my brothers 1 has gotten bigger i have seen no reason to change this opinion. :) ..........................Ron

I just posted these in the other cape York thread that's going at the moment but thought I might as well put them here as well. As I said in the other thread, recorded as jungles but I always referred to them as Cape York Carpets because of the uncertainty around them. They were good handlers, a little nervous at times but not biters.

Photo0111.jpgPhoto0120.jpg2012-06-20 12.25.38.jpg

The one in the tub was the male, the other two pics the female.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back