12 volt vs 240 volt

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow! somebody needs to take a chill pill.

Yeh I think your right...I do tend to "expand" on issues somewhat, especially after a few...:oops::lol: I did read through it again...and it was quite legible & informative surprisingly, if you could be bothered to read it that is!!! lol Sorry guys & wokka....

Ugh this thread is too long for me to read, but each use 15W of power, of those 15W, not all is converted to heat. Some of it is converted to light. But confusion arises in the case of very bright light. The light itself also adds to heat on the surface.

Both 15W globes should cost the same to run. The 12V probably cost more because they need a transformer to convert the 240 down to 12V, which brings in more energy loses due to heat and vibrations in the transformer.

You're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to light bulbs used as heat emitters. If you're talking about ceramic emitters, then you can assume that all 15W of power is converted to heat. But when comparing bulbs, unless you can list two specific globes, it's almost impossible to tell which is brighter/hotter/cheaper.

Maybe get a $20 power meter from Bunnings. One that sits in line between the GPO and the device you're testing. It'll give you a solid answer about how much power it's using.

Wow this backs some memories, threads from 6 years ago or so.
What happens to the energy that is turned from electrical energy to light energy once it is absorbed? Oh, it becomes heat energy. Unless you are suggesting that energy can just "disappear". The only energy that does not become heat inside the cage is that which makes it out of the cage as light or sound.
12 Halogen dichroics do not produce more heat than 240V incandescents of the same wattage, they just direct it more.
12V loses a fair bit of heat at the transformer so unless you are using this heat in the cage, they would be less efficient.
12V is of course, legal for you to wire up yourself (on the 12V side of the tranformer) which I think is the main bonus of it. Should your house ever catch on fire, the insurance company would not be able to refuse to pay out on the basis that you'd done your own wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back