Free Power????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Southside Morelia

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have eluded to this topic on another thread, but am interested to get some feedback from you guys to help me make some decisions on how top approach this project from this point onwards.

This question is obviously for the ones that are slugged $1000's of dollars a year because of the vast amount of animals they keep.

What would you pay to have a Solar PhotoVoltaic installation, installed in your house to help minimize your overall power consumption and subsequent hefty electricity bills?

I have been designing a smallish system especially for us herpers, although many can use this system.The concern I have at this point of the design, is the cost too make this and IF people will pay that much for the setup... The benefits are obvious and the system will certainly pay for itself, but to get some feedback on what you would pay, will indicate if this would be a viable option and something to continue to pursue.
I intend to make this for myself, but would others be interested?

The technology of the Solar collectors has progressed and will be available in the not to distant future, I have been told in the next year or so. Without saying too much, the new technology will do away with the panels altogether and have an easier less labour intensive way of installing the collectors, that will be far more efficient & lighter, so I am thinking I might hold off for that technology as well, but what will that cost???Probably even more.....that i'm not sure of yet.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback.
:)

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the concept of offsetting power requirements with solar. I have also been waiting for things to evolve a bit further before giving it some serious thought though. Given the current price of electricity and the fact it's only going to become more expensive I see no barriers to spending a reasonable amount on initial outlay. It would not take long to break even again. I guess I'm talking in the thousands.

The price of panels has been dropping steadily as China becomes the worlds largest manufacturer of solar panels using technology developed here in Australia, that our stupid government refused to support. However, to run 24 x 100watt enclosures on a 24 hour basis equals 57.6 kWhours a day. The average peak sun hours in Australia, ie., the number of hours per day when the panel will produce its rated output, is 6 hours per day. So you would need a 10 kilowatt array and that would only get you to break even point with no reserve capacity for rainy/overcast days. Plus you would need battery storage for night time/dull day operation and the price for those hasn't come down and is not likely too as commodity prices for metals seem to be on a constant up cycle.

A grid interconnected system would be much more practical and cheaper and you can get a subsidy to install them. As finances allowed with the money saved on your power bill you could add more panels until it actually starts paying you back.

The price of panels has been dropping steadily as China becomes the worlds largest manufacturer of solar panels using technology developed here in Australia, that our stupid government refused to support. However, to run 24 x 100watt enclosures on a 24 hour basis equals 57.6 kWhours a day. The average peak sun hours in Australia, ie., the number of hours per day when the panel will produce its rated output, is 6 hours per day. So you would need a 10 kilowatt array and that would only get you to break even point with no reserve capacity for rainy/overcast days. Plus you would need battery storage for night time/dull day operation and the price for those hasn't come down and is not likely too as commodity prices for metals seem to be on a constant up cycle.

A grid interconnected system would be much more practical and cheaper and you can get a subsidy to install them. As finances allowed with the money saved on your power bill you could add more panels until it actually starts paying you back.

You are 100% correct in the size of the system, although we do get materials from China and there will be cost savings there. I don't personally do the calcs, just have the ideas..lol
Trevor do you know for how much longer the Government is still planning to subsidize installations, as the current installations are ones that are way overdue and the amount of people waiting is horrendous! So even after purchasing more panels and upgrading of the inverter etc, you feel it would still be more viable to use the grid connect system?? Thanks for the feedback
Cheers...

I have just finished building a house at the Watagans that runs on solar and i agree things are really getting better with technology.
I feel that to be most effecient you need a snake room like mine built from coldroom panels. With proper venting systems and skylights I have not needed a heater once this year but do run a air con in summer. But with a well insulated room and skylights for natural light you can get away with low wattage power sources for that basking area and for some parts of summer i just turn everything off and it keeps a beautiful temp at my favourite price.....free!!

I'm with cement. You need to build you house around alternative energies, not the other way around.
See my last post on page 4 of this thread:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/chit-chat-39/solar-electricity-139776/page-4

For most people, a PV system won't pay for itself. They're ideally suited to new-built homes, that have had a few extra thoughts in the design of the house (north facing, well insulated, good access to summer breezes, etc etc)

But in saying that, I have seen a lot of examples where people attach PVs to their sheds, and come out ontop, and this might suit herpers too, but at the moment the costs are just too expensive to be attaching to your 60 year old house. But if you're passionate about the environment, and want your children benefitting from YOUR investment, then sure, go ahead ;)

We are going ahead with a big PV installation. I hope it will be essentially paid for in about 5 years. We got quotes from SolarChoice and went from there. I'd love to get air conditioning, but couldn't morally justify the carbon drain until we are generating our own clean energy. Will have to wait until the financial pain from the solar wears off before going for AC. We are stuck with a poorly designed home, but the roof is perfect for solar. Rainwater collection (to toilets and washing machine) already makes a difference in water bills.

with the interest for herpers, would there be the option of a system that could suit those who rent or is that out of the question?
are portable style systems out of the question?

sorry for the newbish questions, im just interested to find out.

It is out of the question if you rent. They are not portable and you have to get a new electricity meter, etc.

A mate of mine bought a solar cell from DSE to power his 6" netbook, even that was a costly exercise. For such a small power drainer it wasn't 100% effective either. Nothing portable will work.

Hi Scott,
There are some companies that will put it in and then collect the rebate so you only have to pay the difference up front. A 1kw system installed grid connected up here runs out about $4500 gap payment. Even with better inverters, and they aren't going to get much better than say the Selectronics Pure Sinewave that is an Aussie product, (although the Chinese may start producing an equivalent model cheaper) the size and cost of a battery bank to match the system would send you into a lifetime of debt. Someone asked about renters, well you can get fully portable systems that come in a 20ft shipping container but might be a bit hard to get it in a flat :) Landlord may not be too keen to have it sitting in your backyard either. I have to agree with cement, much better to build an energy efficient home than to try and upgrade it later. If you have them in a well insulated shed, Solartubes would probably be a great way to go, bring heaps of natural light without overheating in Summer.
Hope that I've been of some help.

Sure have, thanks again I appreciate the learned opinion from you, cement and duke.......I asked a colleague about this today and he informed me of a system whereby you use x amount of solar produced in the household and the rest and the rest is put back into the grid...any thoughts on this as this is also an intriguing option???

He's just talking about a grid connected system and you can only put back to the grid any excess above your usage. With the load you state you would need to have a huge array before you got any going back to the grid.

Power buy back is a State based thing. In NSW you get paid a garanteed 60 cents a kw of GROSS power generated for the next six years. After that the rate will relate to the market, which has problems since the cost of power generation is around 5 cents a kw. The main cost is in distributing power which in NSW adds another 15-20 cents. In therory residential solar setups reduce the cost of distribution as the power is generated where it is used, however the main users of power is industries such as Aluminium smelters, which we all subsidise so they get cheap power as they require huge distribution networks.

will have to let you know how our windmill goes once its fully up and running

so far has cost us around $20 to build

and so far have tested it as much as connecting up a 80w spot light and it works

just looking around for some more scrap steel to actually stabily mount it and a few other bits n pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back