blue ringed octopus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
waste of time imho ask anyone in marine aquaria forums

Last edited:
100% weekly or fortnightly on systems under 35 gal will see good improvements in small tanks.
do you use natural see water or artificial?

From memory we were doing a 3/4 water 2-3 times per week. natural sea water.

wow you change your water alot not one person i know would do it that much

gig - if you read back through the thread you will see that we had no idea about keeping the octopus that we had!! But he lived for 12mths so I now realise that something we were doing was working. We water changed that often because we noticed he was happier with new water, and we could walk out the back door with some buckets and get some :)

I will be using artificial water in mine its over 40 minutes to a beach for me
ah k just out of curiosity is the person who told you that you have to change water that often, by any chance the person you buy your asw from

i wanted a small tank for clown fish and some live rocks...
only about 40L or so
I was told a i would have to do a 1/4 water change every 3 to 4 weeks.
for only 2 or 3 clowns.

Would this be correct?

if it was only clowns that would do. wouldn't be ideal but would suffice

Well i would like to go bigger as i heard its more forgiving and easier to care for having a large setup rather than a small...

yep the more water volume the easier it is to maintain good parameters as fluctuations will happen really quickly in a small tank.

that being said there are people that keep tanks of less than 5 litres successfully with some amazing corals

finally i have been able to source a mantis i pick it up next Tuesday night its a Gonodactylus smithii about 4cm long so not very big but this species only gets to about 9cm heres a generic photo of one best of all its free

Attachments

• camaron-mantis2.jpg
    camaron-mantis2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
Here is one I used to have so they do get bigger. I had another one about 30% percent bigger again but have no picks next to anything showing scale. Both of these could smash their way out of your average tupperware container and thin glass such as a wine glass (good party trick) but neither could break an actual fish tank.

Blue rings aren't really that difficult to keep and I have bred them in an aquarium myself before. Even raised some of the offspring to adult size. As long as water quality is good and attention is paid to keeping the temperature lower they can be very resilient.

Cheers Andrew

Attachments

• net copy mantis.JPG
    net copy mantis.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 70
Depends on which species you call a Peacock Mantis. There are a number that go under that common name. Both Gonodactylus smithii and Odontodactylus scyallarus get called Peacocks.

The picture you posted up is Odontodactylus scyallarus as is the photo I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back