Mobile Speed Cameras

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a P plater and I do my best to abide by the rules lol. I worked way too hard and paid too much money (100 hours rule) to get my license and I'm NOT loosing it... I have a bone to pick with all the open license people who seem to think they can get away with anything! They say P platers cause accidents, but I can tell you now, there are SO MANY idiots on opens who get off scott free. Just tonight I was on the way home from work, in the middle lane, right on the speed limit (love my TomTom), HEAPS of space on either side of me, and some tool was riding my tail.

I want to know where all the cameras are on the gateway motorway when it's an 80 zone due to road works and I have these open license drivers sitting on my tail and speeding past me.

Totally agree with crystal discus, not speeding? no need to worry.

Don't speed, don't get caught.

I have said it before on here and I will say it again. I quite like the idea of these speed cameras because it means funds are being raised to bring services to me and yet not a cent is being taken out of my pocket.

I completely disagree with all this talk about revenue raising. When are people of all ages going to start taking some responsibility and stop getting all wrapped up in some delusion of what their rights are. We all have a responsibility to drive at or under the speed LIMIT. Driving is not a right. If the goverment can make a bit of money while trying to control peoples irresponsible behaviour then so be it.

I sort of agree with what Crystal...Discus mentioned regarding P platers. Although there is the occasional reckless P plater around where I live they are in on way the worst on the road. The most reckless and irresponsible drivers I generally see are 30-45 year old tradies driving either utes or commodores. I have to admit it would bring me great joy to see these individuals lose their license and consequently lose their jobs. When you think of the lives they are endangering it is only half of what they deserve.

Its straight up revenue raising, to which in principle I don't have a problem with. There are rules and laws to which need to be followed. BUT... I do have a problem with the way they are using the equipment and the error factor the link at the bottom of the last page talked about. Like us they to have rules to follow and when they step outside them rules to increase infringements they should be challenged and held accountable. Its all well and good to say well if you follow the rules, you wont pay until its your turn being wrongly fined or police and government operating outside their our rules.

Its clear that as governments become reliant on these extra funds there is pressure to keep the money train coming in at any cost. If you got a speeding ticket and believe its unjust follow the adice given in that link.

So its being handeld by a private firm, not the Police. Dont like the idea of a firm doing it, how much of the fine is going into their pocket and not back into improving the roads. +1 to revenue raising.

I spend allot of time on the road with my job (no, im not a truckie), and I go through allot of the black spots in the south west of Sydney, and I have not yet seen one. +1 to revenue raising.

They're not serious about the road toll, simple as that. Advanced driving training should be compulsory...not an add-on extra! Speed cameras are purely revenue raisers, and the wipe-ff 5 campaign is merely a form of advertising "in an attempt" to try and shame drivers caught doing 5kmph over the limit (which in reality isn't half as bad as some of the things reckless drivers commit on our roads daily!).

I love the TAC ad when it states "if he was doing 5kph less, she'd only have a bruised hip"....pfffft!....if she'd stepped out another 10 mtrs further the car would have stopped before hitting her! If she'd walked out in front of the car 10mtrs closer and the car "was" doing 50kph she'd be dead! It's all so regimented with where the person should or should not be standing, the conditions of the road and a whole heap of other scenarios that aren’t in the big picture of these commercials – yet we’re all treated like brain-dead idiots whilst they try and justify booking someone for dangerously driving 5kph over the limit! We’ll get you before someone gets hurt…..don’t feel too ripped-off if we fine you for driving dangerously at 65kph! Absolutely farcical!

Mind you, I have not been booked for 9yrs (knock on wood) I NEVER look at my speedo and 110% of the time I’m probably doing 10kph minimum over the limit. Why haven’t I been caught? Because cameras and cops are placed in predictable, revenue-raising areas! Additionally, there are not enough cops out there doing speed checks, it’s all these hopeless privateer companies in the same spots week in, week out!

End of gripe :)

I am a driver, like many of you, and I don't speed.
What really is a big danger to the driving community are the speed cameras. There is one between Lennox Heads and Byron.
Speed before the camera: 100 - People drive 100+
Speed around the camera: 60 - People drive 50
Speed after the camera: 100 - People drive 100+
Now how is this supposed to reduce accidents, when you have everyone slow down from 100 to 60 over 500 meters (!!) just to floor it 2 secs after you passed the camera?
As long as speed cameras are indicated of "CAMERA HERE!! YOU CAN SPEED AGAIN LATER", people will speed. I agree with QLD's laws of not putting up signs for speed cams. Ofc people will get to know where they are - but people from outer state sure will make it flash.

One thing that always makes me wonder - I drive the speed limit, say 100. Then I get to an overtaking lane - and someone overtakes me with 130. Not that I care about being overtaken, that's what it's for.. but isn't 100 the same for everyone?
The only way to stop speeding is to limit the engines - car can go 110 - and not more.
You can still speed everywhere, but 110 is the limit, and risky stunts on the freeway would be over.

The Geelong road here in Victoria has cameras on either end of it. They snap your plates at the start, then at the end. They then calculate your average speed over the distance and then send you a lovely little present in the mail if you've gotten from point-A to point-B faster than you should have :p .....this actually does work. Rarely are you over-taken on this road, but by-god is it boring to drive on! :lol:

What are they interested in - saving lives and reducing speed related injuries... or....

If they were that interested in saving lives around school zones, the 40km/h signs would FLASH at the appropriate time that would suggest you're required to lower the speed limit - I have seen a few that flash, but a majority do not.

If people speed - they deserve the ticket no matter WHAT way they receive it.

However - I would like to see more speed signs - because I am continually on roads that I am unaware of the speed limits - especially highways. One in particular I thought I was in an 80 when in fact I was in a 60!!!

I've had my drivers license for 40 years, I can't remember how many years WA has had speed cameras and I don't really care because in 40 years of driving I've had one speeding fine and that was 20 years ago. I'm not saying I...never speed....everyone does, but I'm very, very careful and am quite happy to let other cars pass me as if I'm standing still even when I'm doing the limit. If ever I do get a speeding ticket, I'll cop it sweet because I'll know I was doing the wrong thing. I have no problem with people getting caught for speeding, drink driving, parking or whatever....if you don't want to get a fine....do the right thing. However....I do know there are exceptions and sometimes it is unfair for various reasons.

Yes, but grannie....I could say I only had one speeding ticket in 40 years of driving, but who is to know that I only ever drive to church and back on Sunday?

I've had my drivers license for 40 years, I can't remember how many years WA has had speed cameras and I don't really care because in 40 years of driving I've had one speeding fine and that was 20 years ago. I'm not saying I...never speed....everyone does, but I'm very, very careful and am quite happy to let other cars pass me as if I'm standing still even when I'm doing the limit. If ever I do get a speeding ticket, I'll cop it sweet because I'll know I was doing the wrong thing. I have no problem with people getting caught for speeding, drink driving, parking or whatever....if you don't want to get a fine....do the right thing. However....I do know there are exceptions and sometimes it is unfair for various reasons.

You're actually correct Grannie....if you don't break the limit, you don't cop the penalty :D :lol:

I lost 2 licences in my younger years when I was a class-A bogan with my obsession for V8's (and had a 3rd suspended)...I'm still obsessed but have slowed down with age (I'm quite enjoying the turbo charged stuff they are putting out these days) :lol:

Sorry guy but the general rule of thumb taught to highway cops is 10%+3 so in a 100 zone its 113kph and mobile speed cameras is the same from what ive been told.... ....
Thats right for radar units. 10% spedo error margin and 3% error margin for radars. A lidar is dead on so only the 10% spedo error rule applies. These mobile speed cameras use Kustom Radars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back