Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentess

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

Just been looking around at Cape Yorks and am wondering what is the true scientific name of this python? I have seen them described as a Morelia spilota cheynei, Morelia spilota variegata and Morelia spilota mcdowelli so far.

I know it doesn't matter all too much, I am just interested.

P.S, I am not referring to the Cape York Spotted. :)

Thanks guys.

There was a thread recently that said that there are cape yorks in both Jungles (Cheynei) and coastals (McDowelli) so that may explain the confusion, and don't know how correct that info is as i dont live up north, and i can't comment on the Darwins (Variegata) i haven't heard mention on Cape yorks with them,

Very fitting I thought hah....But I am also a bit interested to find out now

Chantelle, M.s. cheynei is the so called "jungle carpet python" inhabiting the rainforest of the Vet Tropics, not Cape York. The CY carpet along with the PNG species was described as Morelia harrisoni by R. Hoser but no one takes it seriously.
So, to me it's just a coastal carpet.

cheers
M

Chantelle, M.s. cheynei is the so called "jungle carpet python" inhabiting the rainforest of the Vet Tropics, not Cape York. The CY carpet along with the PNG species was described as Morelia harrisoni by R. Hoser but no one takes it seriously.
So, to me it's just a coastal carpet.

cheers
M

Really? Just a coastal carpet....

Cermack, on what evidence could you possibly base your theory that CY's are simply coastals? The same sub-species found as far sout as Kempsey NSW.

i understand why there is this thread.

I am glad you do. Somehow it took a swing from carpets to greens because someone doesn't like me. Who cares?

The Cape York carpets are of special interest to me because of their habitat partitioning with GTP (both in CY and PNG). I consulted several people I have a high regard for (they are professional herpetologists) on this issue and their (and my) opinion is that Morelia harrisoni is one of those ghost species that doesn't exist ...... the rest will be published - all in good time.

Cheers
Michael

I am glad you do. Somehow it took a swing from carpets to greens because someone doesn't like me. Who cares?

The Cape York carpets are of special interest to me because of their habitat partitioning with GTP (both in CY and PNG). I consulted several people I have a high regard for (they are professional herpetologists) on this issue and their (and my) opinion is that Morelia harrisoni is one of those ghost species that doesn't exist ...... the rest will be published - all in good time.

Cheers
Michael

Where did harrisoni come from? Nothing to do with carpets from NSW to the top of the Cape York peninsula, don't try to cloud the issue now.

i asked a similar question on another forum and this is the answer i got "they are variegata like all the carpets....cheynei, mcdowelli, metacalfi are all just geographic varients of the same species"

Apparently you have no idea of who I am either. Ray who? Hoser? Please mate, there’s no need for name calling. The only reason green’s got brought into this thread was to show a direct comparison between the way you classify the two species of Morelia. The carpets are grouped together whereas the greens are split up to suit your own agenda. Out of interest, on what information, mDNA or otherwise, do you base your pedigree for genetic profiling for your Natives? I’m not questioning that they are exclusively from Cape York, but more so how do they differ from other lowland PNG animals? Namely Merauke’s. If Cape York Carpets are in fact Coastal’s, then I wonder how long they have been separated from the animals of NSW? Surely 1000’s of years, considering this, and knowing that the land bridge between southern PNG and Cape York became submerged some 8000-10,000 years ago what would the differences be between the Chondro’s situated at either end of the ditch? Minimal it would seem by your reasoning, especially considering your reference to Harrasoni earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back