Crayfish Pots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day guys,

Living out near Gatton at the moment and have some mates who enjoy free feeds of crays every now and again from the creeks around the joint. Wondering if anybody knows places out here where I can buy cray pots? Will go to the local fish shop tomorrow and ask but thought I'd ask here too.

What do you use for crayfish bait?

Cheers

what ever i can get my hands on i find that if you get a Lambs Heart from the bucher,i think its like 5.00 for 4 hearts these work great as they stay togeather really well and they bleed alot there for atract yabbies from every where.

Can't help with the pots but I chase a lot of Redclaw (freshwater cray up this way) and I use lots of different baits.
Boiled potato works and isn't too messy (you can even buy tins of the stuff to save all the mucking about).
Pilchard also works well. I also keep my fish skins after I fillet my catch and I use them too.
Some people use dog biscuits and my uncle buys small tins of cat food, punches holes in them and then
wires them into his pots.
When I'm really set up, I put a mixture of potato, fish skin, pilchard and steak in each pot.

Thanks guys - to clarify I am talking about freshwater crays ie "yabbies".

Opera house traps the go?

The opera house ones are good, not sure what other alternatives there are. I usually use a fish or dry dog food as bait.

Check with your fishing regs about the operas, I know most of the waters around this way they are all banned except for private dams.

I use Opera house traps. I also rig up a 'door' made from gutter guard on each entrance so the crays can get in but can't get back out

Fruit is the best if you go were there is lots of turtles. rockmelon as above
and i would not waste a good avo to catch them mungus you eat the avo with the crays lol.
Bore drains we used to just net them out from the overhanging grass and weeds and put them in clean water overnight and they are awesome.

I bought 3 opera house traps. Have one soaking in our dam just in case, and put 2 in a creek nearby. Used pumpkin and left over whiting scraps.. will see how we go this afternoon.

Went and checked the traps - all traps empty. The one in my dam I sort of suspected, but was hoping for a few yabbies in the others! Leaving them in overnight and we'll check again tomorrow.. speaking to a mate tonight who can give me some local tips.

What sort of area should I be putting the traps in? Running/still water? Shallow/deep? Clear/murky? Any tips would be great.

Im not sure if you will catch much around this area, the crays native to this area are all pretty small. There are some red claws and C.destructor around in introduced popualtions, there used to be heaps of red claws in wivanhoe dam but i havnt been there for over 10 years. If you go west to the murray darling system you will find plenty.

possibly the best bait to use is decomposing fruit (older than you would want to eat it but not a mush pile)

Pics guys, love em and love to eat em...lol

Any recipes would be cool as well!
Cheers....

feeder crays sold in pet/aquaruims shops are red claws. they sell feeders for 2 bucks each and then 5cm long ones are sold as red claw for 6 bucks each at a shop i know. lol

Opera House traps have been the best IME and for bait I usually use those foil sachets of cat food. Red Claw in particular just can't seem to resist them. As with the cans just punch a few holes in them and they are easy to remove and dump in the rubbish when you are finished.

I have used all manner of fruit, vegies and meat with varying results but the above for me has been the most productive, cleanest and easiest.

Loads of Red Claw in North Pine Dam but if you are looking for Yabbies ( Cherax sp) then I have always found Turkey Nest type dams to be the most productive. Also the further west you go from here the better it is. When I go out around Westmar and St George I have pulled 2-3 large Eskies worth out of a single dam in a matter of a few hours and they are the really big ones with fat claws. Interesting every dam seems to have a different coloured population ranging from black, through brown to vivid blue . All taste good but.

In your area though Phil you aren't likely to find too many of a decent size that I have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back