Cairns/Daintree/Cape Tribulation Herping trip? July Trip Planned

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Mossman, and have found the best way to find the local wildlife is to drive the loooong back roads in the late afternoon into the night. Forest Creek Road, just fter you get off the Daintree Ferry is usually best. Cape Trib camping is a pretty lush spot and plenty of free walks up there too. November is pretty warm, depending on what your used to I guess. Def do a morning river cruise if you can. Awesome stuff.

We didn't go up to the Daintree/Cape Trib herping but we're just recently back from FNQ and the amount of herps we saw amazed us, and the variety. Spotteds, Carpets, Goannas, Slatey-Greys, Keelbacks. As Kristy_07 also said, the birds, oh my lord, the birds, Eagles, Kites, Osprey's etc everywhere where we were!

piviper im heading up in dec-jan going to be so dam hot. cant wait going by train with the kids staying 2 weeks up there doing some tours in daintree staying in cairns central area. november will be hot so lots of water, hat, and loads of sunscreen. have fun with your trip.

Thanks, booked my airfare today, VERY EXCITED!!!! I think I'll be camping at cape tribulation camping... if anyone's been, I'd love to hear what they think. I've got my cameras and snake hooks all ready to go :)

I`ve been living in Port Douglas for nearly 10 years and I can guarantee you will see reptiles when looking for them. I`d say most spring, summer and autom evenings I would see some kind of snake, lizard among other stuff. At low tide it will for sure be a croc at Mowbray river, usually I see two there, just on the bridge area. I`ve also seen a fair bit of crocs, scrubbys and coastals at the very south end of four mile beach, also at low tide, as its easier to access. When treking with my kids up in the Gorge area (not where all the tourists go, but say rock jumping in the Hippie hole, ask a local) I`ve seen LOTS, Red Bellied black, jungles, and stuff that I cant easeily identify with a whole lot of kids around me, then its more about "stand stil kids" " don`t touch now" and so on.
Now I am near Brissy and don`t have that at my doorstep any more

hiya, I recommend doing a river cruise with the old local bloke at daintree - I can't think of his name of the top of my head, but it's a permanent nickname and it stands out :)

It's a great cruise for birding, but we also saw plenty of GTS which he's quite happy to grab out of a tree for you and let you have a handle, couple of big coastals hanging over the river, and a 16ft croc Charlie - awesome! Then there were the birds....

I was just a tourist there myself, but thought this morning cruise was great. Hope that helps :) Cheers.

that sounds like a sweet boat trip, any more information about who runs it?

The best of the lot is the Cooper Creek Cruises at Cape Trib (not the Daintree River). You will see some big salties up close.
Call Ernie 07 40332052

This site continues to amaze me with its helpful members and genuine insight, thanks!!!! I'm getting more excited every day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back