beardy diet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomsPhotos

Reaction score
hi ive just come back to aps from a long absence so i might need to get used to it again anyway my central bearded dragon has a habit of licking her enclosers substrate and it sticks to her tongue so she eats it is that bad :| :? :|

What age is your beardie? its very bad if she has been swallowing sand coz she could get
impaction which means she could die you should take her to the vet.

I don't know whether kitty crumble will cause compaction or not but the best thing would be to get her onto newspaper as a substrate that is what mine are on, especially as your beardie is only young. Even if it doesn't cause compaction it would still not be good for her to be ingesting

Also you can get that calcium sand stuff to use thats good for your beardie. I have that cos mine lick the sand too.

recently swapped mine from sand to astro turf(fake grass) works great easy to clean and looks very nice as well...........something to consider its around $30 a metre at bunnings

There is another which is better, I keep my sons on it but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Its like breeders choice but it is made from pulped wood and is brown, it is clean with no crap or dust, I also keep an indoor diamond on it, it looks great and gives the beardy some uneven surface to walk on which is better for his feet.

do you know where to get it
even if u dont thats ok cuase ill just look in shops for it when im geting other pet stuff

also im not an adult im 12 just incase any of you thout i was an adult

Tile the floor, looks amazing, easy to clean, wears down their nails, can add other substrates ontop for more character, i have tiles with red desert sand in each corner for my western beardies, just feed on the tile section or in another tub and you wont get impaction! Did i mention it looks good?!

DSCF0859.jpg

yeah, swallowing kitty crumble probably isnt good. You might want to take him to a vet to get a check up and then change your substrate to something else until he’s a bit bigger. I’ve heard of some substrates similar to kitty crumble swelling inside the lizard and causing them to stop eating and making it impossible for them to pass it through their system.

I have mine on crushed walnut shells so I have a really large, stainless steel dish in their enclosure that I put their salad on and feed them their woodies either by hand (I have 6 but it's not for everyone) or I put the dragons into individual tubs with some woodies. Hand feeding (in my opinion) is good because it not only establishes a bond between you and your animal but lets you check them over and control how much they eat (something that saves a lot of grief if you have more than one or two in the same enclosure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back