Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakefinda86

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have had a Diamond Python for 3 weeks now and I have never seen her drink water. Is this normal? How often do they drink? Also, 10 days ago I fed her a juvenile rat. She demolished it within 10 minutes, and looked hungry afterwards, should I up the rat size? She is 5ft and 2yr old. Thanks

I saw my stimmie drink about 3 times in 8 years :D don't worry!

Hi guys, I have had a Diamond Python for 3 weeks now and I have never seen her drink water. Is this normal? How often do they drink? Also, 10 days ago I fed her a juvenile rat. She demolished it within 10 minutes, and looked hungry afterwards, should I up the rat size? She is 5ft and 2yr old. Thanks

They don't drink and awful lot and not surprised you haven't seen it drink after only 3 weeks of owenership. Sometimes when I replace their water they have a sip, but still it is not often I see them drinking.

If she is 5ft long she should be on near adult sized rats, just one every 2-3 weeks.

I've only seen my python drink once in about 5 months... though i do feed its meals semi wet

Last edited:
......10 days ago I fed her a juvenile rat. She demolished it within 10 minutes, and looked hungry afterwards, should I up the rat size? ...

What's a hungry snake look like? As for the drinking, I've had some of mine for 2 years and never seen them drink. Relax, have a pizza, beer, put your feet up and the tv on.

Yes it's normal not to see one drink very often, but you'll find snakes go about a lot of their business at night or when no one is around. So it will be drinking don't worry =).

yea, ive never seen my MD drink, but have seen my spottie once only. i also feed semi wet, and do agree that they get around a fair bit at night and would be likely drinking then.. i have although been lucky to see my MD shed the last two times.. something that some dont ever see..

ive seen my coastal drink once in the last 3 months or so but i have seen my male woma drink maybe few times a week maybe even twice a day on occasion. does alot of drinking relate to anything ?

i never see mine drink, sometimes they have a bath though

My BHP is always drinking, or dunking his head. Loves his water.

not meaning to hijack ur thread but is there such thing as excessive drinking as my spotted drinks too much imo...it's like he's been for a big run and has the tip of his head in his bowl and gulps for ages, and does this a few times per day...

not meaning to hijack ur thread but is there such thing as excessive drinking as my spotted drinks too much imo...it's like he's been for a big run and has the tip of his head in his bowl and gulps for ages, and does this a few times per day...
same with my male woma

Well thanks guys for helping me out. I was a bit worried (would kinda like to see her drink though). I got her medium rats this time and we will see tomorrow how it goes.

Don't worry, most don't see their herps drinking, not unusual. Just make sure to monitor and make sure it's not dehydrated... which I understand is easier to assess in lizards, not sure how one would go about it with snakes.
:)

ive seen my coastal drink once in the last 3 months or so but i have seen my male woma drink maybe few times a week maybe even twice a day on occasion. does alot of drinking relate to anything ?

I've heard it mentioned in connection to a viral infection. However, it was only one of the many listed symptoms, so I'm sure it is nothing at all to worry about if all else is as it should be. Is it defecating regularly?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could shed some light on this? I'm curious..

I've heard it mentioned in connection to a viral infection. However, it was only one of the many listed symptoms, so I'm sure it is nothing at all to worry about if all else is as it should be. Is it defecating regularly?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could shed some light on this? I'm curious..
seems to be defecating ok, had to clean cage out last night as he wiped it everywhere lol

Hmm, not sure about this one. Hopefully someone else knows?

As I said before, I'm quite curious and haven't been able to find anything on excessive drinking (if it even is a problem which hopefully, it isn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back