Netted Dragons 'vs' Bearded Dragons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not ideal for a beardie. Generally people recommend 4x2x2 feet. In that space you can house a pair of ackie monitors. Just sayin.... :p

That's not ideal for a beardie. Generally people recommend 4x2x2 feet. In that space you can house a pair of ackie monitors. Just sayin.... :p
A 3 foot tank is not big enough for a pair of adult ackies imo, they are just as big as Beardies and far more active

Okay.

Currently have a 97cms by 47cms by 47.5cms enclosure for my Spotted Python. I can probably manage a 117cms long enclosure in my room (don't have too many solid bases to rest things on), with another possible 42cms available (if I can find a prop up).

What size are Ackie Monitors? Can't find info on them.

Sorry, I was saying a 4 foot was enough. Wasn't very clear. Just trying to point out that ackies require roughly the same space as beardies.

beardies are the best!! :)
active, affectionate and easy going.
if u have time to put them in a sink half filled with warm water daily (or every second) you wont have to deal with a stinky enclosure. (warm baths make them poo, mine have a bath and shower while im getting ready for work.)

jbowers:

i have been working at totally reptiles for 3 years, and compared to the other shops i have seen, all the enclosures are pretty clean, yeah, they do get dirty, and sometimes when you have a busy shop, and only one person working, you have to serve customers instead of clean out the crap in the enclosures. but when you have over 100 animals, its not an easy job to keep everything spotless. also all the lighting in the shop is correct, i dont know where you got the idea that some of the animals are kept with incorrect lighting.

Also, buy from a private breeder. Between here, herptrader, gumtree, petlink and petpages you will find something far cheaper and in better health than what you'd find at totally reptiles. I go in there occasionally as it's my local reptile store to get emergency crickets. Their bearded dragons look terribly unhealthy as do most of their animals. Tiny enclosures and insufficient lighting for most of them.

none of the animals in the shop are unhealthy, anything that is unwell is kept out the back, and most of the time its because customers have bought their animal from another shop(ie living jungle) and they have been given the wrong advice or kept it with the innappropriate lighting. and because the shop they have got it from dont care about the animal once they have gotten their money for it.

One of the issues I've had with this place is, I have often walked in to fine 3-4 staff members standing around, chatting to someone else in the store, presumably a delivery guy they know well. Whilst this is happening there is usually atleast 2, sometimes much more, uncleaned poos in the lizard enclosures.

Basically by 'seen better', I mean I've seen better in peoples homes.... I imagine it is very hard to run a viable shop whilst still keeping the animals in the kind of condition we enthusiasts like to keep them.

there is only 4 people that work at the shop, and only ever 2 staff on at any given time, normally only one. 2 uncleaned poo's in a beardie enclosure isn't much when you have over 100 animals to look after, all the animals get cleaned out atleast once a week, lizards are usually cleaned 2-3 times a week because there is normally more then one in an enclosure and when they are fed every day its something that needs to be done.

the shop is in no worse condition then my animals at home, and all my animals are healthy and happy.

I went in there the other day actually, and I thought about my comments, and I was certainly a little harsh on the place. The enclosures all looked clean and nearly all the animals seemed to be in great shape. The bad looking ones were 2 or 3 adult beardies who seemed to have very little condition on them at all, especially one who was brumating.

I could be wrong about the staff member thing, maybe it was delivery people etc there as well so I won't guess any further!

One thing I don't agree with is the use of compact UV globes, but that's a personal thing based on research I've done, they might very well be fine. I've also read that using a uv bulb without another source of bright light in the enclosure can cause retina damage to bearded dragons - and the shop seems to use red and blue bulbs mostly in the beardie enclosures from what i've seen.

That's just one thing though, and a small thing. I was harsh, and I'm sorry about that. I think I was just bored...

beardies are easier to handle and like to be out and sit on you were as netted's are mostly just for show and looking at not good to handle. netted's are smaller then the beardies. it all depends on what u like to do. i will get my netted out for 1-2 minutes every now and then always holding him.

I went in there the other day actually, and I thought about my comments, and I was certainly a little harsh on the place. The enclosures all looked clean and nearly all the animals seemed to be in great shape. The bad looking ones were 2 or 3 adult beardies who seemed to have very little condition on them at all, especially one who was brumating.

I could be wrong about the staff member thing, maybe it was delivery people etc there as well so I won't guess any further!

One thing I don't agree with is the use of compact UV globes, but that's a personal thing based on research I've done, they might very well be fine. I've also read that using a uv bulb without another source of bright light in the enclosure can cause retina damage to bearded dragons - and the shop seems to use red and blue bulbs mostly in the beardie enclosures from what i've seen.

That's just one thing though, and a small thing. I was harsh, and I'm sorry about that. I think I was just bored...

the only reason compact UV bulbs are used is because the enclosure is too small for a 2 ft fluro, and the 1 ft ones are harder to come by. i'd like to see a copy of the research you have done if you have it handy, i havent heard about the retina damage in beardies, sounds interesting as i have been keeping beardies like this for years without any ill effects. all the animals are healthy accept one beardie who i personally went out and confiscated from a customer because he had really bad MBD and wasnt eating. we have gotten him eating but the MBD still shows. the beardies get fed fruit and vege twice a week and crickets every day. so none of them are underweight, some have little condition on them when they come in, but thats because of people that have had them before hand.

if you see a problem with any of the animals, your more then welcome to come up to me or one of the other staff and let us know, we can explain what is going on with that particular animal.

I have noticed that since you made your 1st post and Jason has made comment you have eased up a bit.

Now I have been a customer of the shop for many years.
I know the owner very well, and as far as I can see.
Jody and her staff never give out false information on the care of any animal.
Infact Id say the information they give their customers is 1st rate.

The only time I have seen sick, unhealthy or mistreated animals at the shop is, as Jason stated,
mistreated animals that have been brought into the shop for care and to be saved.
Known Reptile Vet, Dr Peter Cameron is at the shop every other week (how many shops do that?)

I also know that a lot of their animals are bred by breeders that dont sell on the open market.
Some are even members of this forum, people that breed reptiles and cant be bothered with tyre kickers and advertising their hatchlings ect. So Jody gets the pick of the clutches, sometimes the whole clutch for the shop.

I would like to know if the next time your in the shop buying crickets, will you put your hand up and say,
''Im jbowers, Im the one that tried to discredit the shop on an open forum''
Next time you feel the need to try and discredit someone, go out to your car, open the door, place your typing hand in there and slam the door shut.
Please do this before you start typing your BS again.

Last edited:
This thread is a hoot, just way too funny.

Oh and predictable and common also

I would like to know if the next time your in the shop buying crickets, will you put your hand up and say,
''Im jbowers, Im the one that tried to discredit the shop on an open forum''
Next time you feel the need to try and discredit someone, go out to your car, open the door, place your typing hand in there and slam the door shut.
Please do this before you start typing your BS again.

I won't be doing this.

I have already apologised, and am more than willing to have my first and second post about this shop deleted. I had a surface level understanding of what was going on in this shop, and made some remarks that were unfair and inaccurate. I didn't make the comments with the intention of stirring up **** or dissing the reputation of that store either, though it certainly had that effect. I was just generally concerned for the few poor looking beardies (I now know they are there to get healthier) that I saw there. This was exacerbated by my recent travels to other pet stores where I have seen much worse, and this undoubtedly caused me to want to lump them all in to the same category. That was **** of me.

That's awesome about the vet, btw.

I'm pretty sure Jason knows who I am already, seeing as last time I was in there i talked about getting ackies of snake_freak and now I have just posted here saying I have got them. If he is the guy who works there that I think he is anyway...

So yeah, sorry. Will I be slamming my hand in a car door? Seeing as my main source of income is performing as a pianist and keyboard player, I don't think I will. There is really no need to get so aggressive about this.

Edit: Sorry for sidetracking this thread so much. If anyone has anything further to say about this discussion, PM me.

Last edited:
if u have time to put them in a sink half filled with warm water daily (or every second) you wont have to deal with a stinky enclosure. (warm baths make them poo, mine have a bath and shower while im getting ready for work.)

I thought this post was pretty funny.

i dont live in melb or know much about the shops there but "amazing amazon" looks good, its got a website: amazingamazon.com and they have a lot of reps in there, also id go with netteds as they are just purely rarer, everyone has a beardie.
oh and by the way my beardies are energetic little physcos but VERY tame when being handled.
also beardies grow bigger..

Haha thats cute.

Seriously though, the amount mine poop they'd practically have to live in the bath.

seriously, they can be trained, and they learn quickly! a 2 year old i got a few months ago only did 2 in the wrong place right at the start, and has ONLY pooed in the shower since.

mine are house dragons and from 7 dragons i might find a stray poo once every 6 months.

they will hold on till bath time if in any way possible, sometimes theyre going as soon as they hit the water,..!! :p
there are rare times they want second bath, and they let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back