Tasmanian Herps, What we have

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TassieHerper

Reaction score
When it comes to the variety in our herp species down here on the pimple of Australia’s back (Tasmania) we have very little in the variety of herps that are worth keeping. They are either small (most of our skinks) making it hard to provide food in captivity, or are listed as endangered wish means we can't keep them.

But the herps we do have and that are worth keeping can be quite amazing so I figured I would post some pictures. These are not my pictures or my herps. They are kept by a friend of mine at work and are a collection of his pics.

Let me know what you think.

Tassie Herper

2004_0101Dragons0021 .jpg
2006_1027Image0007 .jpg
2006_1012Image0062 .jpg
2006_1020Image0011 .jpg
2006_1111bla0027 .jpg

MammaCass1.jpg
When my computer decides to co-operate I will post some more but at the moment it is being a pain in the butt

Nice pics mate. Do you know if the laws down there are going to change any time soon? (in regards to exporting)

Copperheads and tigers, what more could ya want? ;) Blueys are cute too!

Thanks for the comments guys and gals. I shall be sure to tell Jim you all like his pics. He said they were crap but the proof is in the pudding.

With regard to export laws, more than likely never. We see our herps in a different light to the rest of the country. You have to remember that Tasmania has been separated from the main land for over 12000 years and as a result the herps are now in their own genetic worlds. Although they might be in the same family as their mainland counter parts they have learn to adjust to the cool climates down here making them uniquely different.

Not to mention that the mountain dragon being the only agamidae her in Tasmania and the most southerly distributed agamidae in the world. as for importation....well herpers are still working on that but I can’t see it happening any time soon.

Thanks again every one.

Tassie Herper

I think a strictly no importing rule is very sensible for the reasons you outlined but it'd be nice if you guys could export so we could have the chance to keep a few of your animals on the mainland (similar to WA laws I guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back