What's a "Honey Jungle" (no - not the biscuit)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alldone

Reaction score
I read this today but haven't heard of these before?? It was on a "Dolittle Farm" (whatever that is) fact sheet.

Common Name
Honey Jungle Carpet Python

Scientific Name
Morelia spilota cheynei

Colour
Base colour of dark green to
black overlaid with honey
coloured markings and striking
honey coloured patterning.
Belly is white to lemon with
black speckling

Max. Size
to 2.1m but usually 1.8m

Temperament
Extremely placid both as a
baby and when older, unlike
their Jungle cousins.

Ease of Care
Properly housed, these pythons
are very easy to keep and are
well suited to most captive
situations.

I thought all Jungles had the tendency to be snappy but these seem like Jungles on Valium?? Anyone got any experience with these guys?

i have heard some seem to be more placid? someone else will be able to help because i have no experience with them

They are still a jungle :lol:

Yes you can get very docile jungles (i have a few) but most are not great for handling.

There is no true "bred for temprement" reptile in this hobby lol. Some bite some don't simple.

I strongly disagree, breeding for temperament works. Jungles are normally nasty, but through selective breeding, that can change.

I do agree to a certain point but you will see adds where they will say "this particualr breed never bites". You can never guarantee a snake will not bite you. After all they are a snake and it is in thier design.

I strongly disagree, breeding for temperament works. Jungles are normally nasty, but through selective breeding, that can change.
So it's possible to alter temperament by selectively breeding placid lines into a normally more aggressive snake species?

I do agree to a certain point but you will see adds where they will say "this particualr breed never bites". You can never guarantee a snake will not bite you. After all they are a snake and it is in thier design.
Just like it's in my design to rant & rave coz I'm a Mum! :lol: It's my right god dammit!

This just your opinion or do you have evidence of this?

A few questions regarding these "tempremental subjects" I would like to ask are:
How many generations of selective breeding?
What criteria of selection?
How many animals involved in the study?
And what percentage of decline in biting has been witnessed over this period?

And here I was thinking that they'd invented some new species of super tame snake Cam! Now you've just gone & wrecked it for me totally! :lol: :lol:
:lol: Sorry Belinda :lol:

You can get some good lines of handleable Jungles. The Stone (SXR) line jungles tend to be pretty docile (well at least mine all are)

It really just comes down to the actual snake.

:lol: Sorry Belinda :lol:

You can get some good lines of handleable Jungles. The Stone (SXR) line jungles tend to be pretty docile (well at least mine all are)

It really just comes down to the actual snake.

A friend has Jungles from Simon that are outright psycho.
Out of several animals there is only 1 that would be so called "tame".
I don't think anyone can really predict the temprement, I have found over the last 30 years involvement with Reptiles here & abroad that they are all individual (although some deffinately seem better then others)

My little Jungle is a douche but i like him anyway. Imo your lucky to get a friendly one.

I really dont think there will be any studies done to see if a certain line of normally aggressive pythons will calm down over extensive line breeding.

There are better handling snakes that others thats for sure but at the same time you can get a really handleable Jungle (usually defensive) and you can get a really cranky MD (usually placid).

A friend has Jungles from Simon that are outright psycho.
Out of several animals there is only 1 that would be so called "tame".
Yeah exactly. I have SXR line jungles and mine are all docile and have never bitten me yet but that is not to say they wont (they probably will)

Where as you compare say Krauss to Stone line and most Experienced breeders will say that the Stone Jungles are more docile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back