What's a "Honey Jungle" (no - not the biscuit)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
most likely jungles with a bit of creative advertising

there was a study on rats that were bred for temperament,
one side was bred for aggressiveness and the other side was the latter,

The aggressive side was abnormally aggressive compared to the placid side.
Then they rats from both sides and found that half the offspring's were extremely aggressive and the other half was placid.

Does this apply to snakes?
Yes, and the problem is with jungles is that, though some breeders try to breed for temperament, that always put looks first, and who could blame them?
I have a couple of placid jungles, which will be bred strictly for temperament. Will it take years until I can assure all the offspring's will be placid? yes.
But covering your ears and pretending it's not possible is lazy.

Research how the breed "pitbull" came out, and you will notice it was years and years of selective breeding for aggressiveness.

I breed the athertons and the normal jungles athertons are pussy cats of the jungle world although I do have two very placid black and yellow jungles To say they will never bite is wrong any animal will bite if frightened or in pain

there was a study on rats that were bred for temperament,
one side was bred for aggressiveness and the other side was the latter,

The aggressive side was abnormally aggressive compared to the placid side.
Then they rats from both sides and found that half the offspring's were extremely aggressive and the other half was placid.

Does this apply to snakes?
Yes, and the problem is with jungles is that, though some breeders try to breed for temperament, that always put looks first, and who could blame them?
I have a couple of placid jungles, which will be bred strictly for temperament. Will it take years until I can assure all the offspring's will be placid? yes.
But covering your ears and pretending it's not possible is lazy.

Research how the breed "pitbull" came out, and you will notice it was years and years of selective breeding for aggressiveness.

You can't compare domesticated pets like Rodents & Canines to Reptiles. There has been no study on Reptile temprement afaik.
Even so, as you said it took YEARS of selective "evolution" to domesticate the regular pet species, so how Dolittle farm in there very few years in the hobby have done it in such a short period is beyond my comprehension.

Soo many breeders are using the "bred for temprement" line - Does that mean they are culling all the agressive ones?
Or are the entire clutches "dog tame"? because I don't see any of these breeders advertising the non conforming specimens lol.

Last edited:
I've heard that jungles are snappy snappy snappy, but i've also heard that jungles have gotten a lot better with selective breeding, from 20 years ago till now... I believe snakes have instincts but also some can appear more placid. weather that's a "lotto" or selective breeding, who knows.

D3pro you can't be serious in saying you can compare reptiles to mammals as far as temperament goes, i seriously doubt you would find a single scientist to back that call..

Ben

Doc Rock said that in his article... he made the comparison... last time I checked he had a PHD in biology.

Doc Rock said that in his article... he made the comparison... last time I checked he had a PHD in biology.

Doc Rock also suggested that Womas actually caudal lure (not just excitement) and that using a spray bottle of metho on bitey snakes is a good idea to get them to release their grip. I wouldn't take anyones words as gospel untill those words are common opinion of many folk.

Last edited:
Doc Rock also suggested that Womas actually caudal lure (not just excitement) and that using a spray bottle of metho on bitey snakes is a good idea to get them to release their grip.

It could be, no one has proven they weren't. and the meth works as well in extreme cases...
I suggest you don't try to disprove Dor Rock on this forum.

I think it may have been a bit of wishful thinking.

A comparison, and perhaps expressing hope that the possibility (although it may be remote) of this being able to occur in reptiles is reasonable. Stating that because a characteristic is present in rodents and is able to be selectively bred out definitely means that the same can be done with reptiles, is not.

advertisement is talking about athertons, which arent always more dull than palmerstons (which tend to be the higher yellows)
In my somewhat limited experience (compared to those such as colin) with athertons and palmerstons, athertons tend to be calmer and grow to a larger size and tend to be more of a "honey" yellow. palmerstons tend to be more agressive, grow to be smaller that athertons and tend to have darker blacks and higher yellows. (there are always exceptions, this is life we are talking about)
I find that the smaller the adult size, the more defensive and bitey the jungle will be. (again there are exceptions.. obviously) have had minimal experience with julattens but have not been bitten by either of the two ive handled. I now have 3 athertons and dont get bitten if i handle carefully, i take all of them out of their enclosures by hand, not with a hook, and only been bitten 4 times all up by them (twice was feeding carelessness). i have never handled a palmerston that didnt bite me (and i've been looking for a while!) but i know there are some good ones out there and i want one!
im not a big fan of the jungle steriotype, as a percentage, i have been bitten by more anteresias ive handled than i have jungles.

Doc Rock also suggested that Womas actually caudal lure (not just excitement) and that using a spray bottle of metho on bitey snakes is a good idea to get them to release their grip. I wouldn't take anyones words as gospel untill those words are common opinion of many folk.

it was common oppinion that the earth was flat, only birds would ever travel in the sky, the sun is a god, the sun revolves around the earth, nobody would ever need more than 2mb of RAM in thier computer, etc etc.
be open minded. im not saying believe it without scientific evidence.. but if there is no scientific evidence to disprove the theory, then i wouldnt be dismissing it.

I suggest you don't try to disprove Dor Rock on this forum.

I don't think he'd mind :)

It's counter-productive to accept everything that is said, and much more beneficial to question ideas and formulate different opinions and theories.

but if there is no scientific evidence to disprove the theory, then i wouldnt be dismissing it.

I believe this one has been mythbusted lol
There is enough homeless drunks testing the methylated spirits theory.
My hubby is a home brewer & distiller and he said Methyl alcohol is poisonous.
This is the biproduct which creates hangovers, insanity, blindness & death.

Oh and common sense should prevail here also, if something is poisonous to consume it's not a great idea to spray it in a living beings mouth. JMO of course.

Last edited:
Wouldn't environment and handling issues have a bigger impact on temperment than breeding?

I believe this one has been mythbusted lol
There is enough homeless drunks testing the methylated spirits theory.
My hubby is a home brewer & distiller and he said Methyl alcohol is poisonous.
This is the biproduct which creates hangovers, insanity, blindness & death.

Oh and common sense should prevail here also, if something is poisonous to consume it's not a great idea to spray it in a living beings mouth. JMO of course.

Not the best argument, since were not talking about life a death, or poisonous chemicals here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back