Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilife

Banned
Reaction score
Hello all. As a 'lizard' man from way back, I am fast realizing my lack of knowledge when it comes to Pythons and snakes in general.
So a family decision has been made that we obtain a Python. My wife and kids all love reptiles and our favorite family day is doing some 'herping' in our region.
Of course, I will undertake all necessary research before procuring a snake, but have found some very conflicting advice on the internet regarding which Python would suit my family best.
I am thinking maybe a Bredli? or a Jungle? Childreni?
I want a snake whose husbandry requirements are 'minimal' (I am a novice!) and will be placid, docile, easy to handle and feed etc. While the kids are used to handling various lizards, I don't want a snake that's going to instill fear into them and develop a negative relationship between child and serpent!
Male or Female? Which are quietest?
I'm thinking I will find a Juvenile snake as it isn't going to do much damage if it strikes, and hope to accustom the snake to human handling from an early age.

Any ideas?

everything but a GTP is about the same.

Get an established yearling. Here is a list of common placids.
Bredli.
MD python.
Woma.
Diamond python.

Apart from diamonds being kept more cool then other pythons, it's all pretty universal.

Get an enclosure with appropriate floor space... (half the length of the snake) and about the same height if its a Morilla.
Place a 10-14wt heat mat that fits 1 quarter of the enclosure.
one hide (not above the heat mat) use newspaper for flooring and add some branches.
A water bowl that is big enough for the snake to submerge in it.

tips to get a placid: hold before buying.
male female doesn't matter, beware that snakes will bite and it will be your fault lol.

but this is all very simplified, maybe buy a book on snakes? or maybe ask if someone will let you tour their collection for tips.
good luck on your first, and before just accepting what anyone says on this forum, do external research.

:)

TBH its mostly about the snakes personality, you can get snakes that are usually placid, and they could try to kill you whenever they get the chance, If you have small children, who are inexperienced, they may not be the best handlers, and the snake may try to have a go at them.

If i were you i would get an adult, who is already placid. Its up to you really.

This article by Doc Rock is a great read, and outlines care and requirements of different pythons.
It may help with the deliberations.

http://www.sxr.com.au/Article%20PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

Have fun, and good luck :)
From a personal standpoint, I would say, get something you like the look of. You will quite probably have it for a long time.

Michelle

Last edited:
go jungle mate, why not the the bitest snake so you can handle it get used to it and you should be ok with any other pythons hehe, i get my jungle girl very soon...

If you're after one with minimal husbandry requirements then I would say your best bet would to be some sort of Antaresia. Spotted's, Children's and Stimson's are commonly docile, cheaper to feed (as they require smaller meals), fairly easy to keep and even a bite from one as an adult won't do much damage (compared to a bite from any adult Morelia).

Thanks so much for all the replies, Guys!

Hmmmm. Some interesting points here and definitely some things I need to think about.
Interesting point regarding the Antaresia's as opposed to the Morelia's. Anyone else have a view on that?

I do like the Stimsons, as I also like the Bredli, so I may toss up between these.....

While I certainly would not let purchase price be a deciding factor in my decision, is there any species which are generally 'cheaper' to buy? And if so, why? Easy breeders? Large clutches? Little market demand?

Pretty much every python has minimal husbandry requirements - you can go away for a week without worrying about your snakes for example. They are dead easy to look after. Antaresia/Morelia makes no difference except Morelia get bigger therefore require bigger enclosures/waterbowls/hides/food and do bigger poos.

That article that shellfisch posted really is the best thing to read.

So far (on my limited experience with only four snakes in 5 years) I have noticed no two similarities between two of exactly the same species!

Two spotteds - one from a local breeder - beautiful, placid, highly coloured, shy, nocturnal, reasonable eater but does turn down food from time to time.... compared to a spotted originally bred by SxR - this is a feisty, snappy, bites anything, eats anything and everything offered, highly coloured and doesn't care what time of the day it is - active (maybe a snake with ADHD???). But both are good snakes - of course one I would never take out and the other... well... she doesn't get a choice :) (both are females)

Two coastal carpets - one nearly 3m, placid, hisses a lot but for no reason, eats pretty well, nice colours, located from a Brisbane breeder. Compared to the female, golden coloured, bred in Mackay, snappy, shy, hissy, aggressive....

So - 4 out of 4 incredibly different snakes - each brought up in similar fashion...

What's the difference???? Other than breeder I can't tell!!!

Thanks Philk - I've printed off the Doc Rock article and will put my feet up tonight and have a read.

Thanks slim6y - I think I thought as much, but was hoping to get a nudge in the right direction I guess!

Thanks Philk - I've printed off the Doc Rock article and will put my feet up tonight and have a read.

Thanks slim6y - I think I thought as much, but was hoping to get a nudge in the right direction I guess!

I loved my spotted as a first snake - and my kids do too - and still do... I feel sorry for her because she's placid they always want her out - but I am strict about the time my snakes venture out :)

Spotteds of course are easy to handle in size and do just about everything a larger snake can do in a smaller package :)

They still eat rats - but just not as large as the coastals.

Good luck!

Let us all know what you choose in the end!

Thanks so much for all the replies, Guys!

Hmmmm. Some interesting points here and definitely some things I need to think about.
Interesting point regarding the Antaresia's as opposed to the Morelia's. Anyone else have a view on that?

I do like the Stimsons, as I also like the Bredli, so I may toss up between these.....

While I certainly would not let purchase price be a deciding factor in my decision, is there any species which are generally 'cheaper' to buy? And if so, why? Easy breeders? Large clutches? Little market demand?

I wasn't trying to compare Antaresia's and Morelia's in any way apart from when it comes down to a bite from an adult. Bigger mouth = bigger bite. Haha. :D

I have 2 Spotted's and I have only ever been tagged once by one of them when she was a hatchie. I also have a Jungle, a Diamond, a Coastal and a Cape York. Out of these I have only been tagged by the Jungle. :lol: He's goes off like a machine gun. Bite after bite after bite.

Anyway to answer your question about prices; a few of the cheaper species include Bredli's (normal form), Coastal's and Spotted's. All are fairly easy to keep, easy to breed and are pretty good first snakes.

What you may also want to consider is the amount of space required by the different species as well.

Go for the spotted pythons, they dont grow big, very gentle to handle, check out my pics on my profile,
cheers

mmm... can be snappy. lol

no snappier than any other young snakes,..

bredli are a great first snakes, if you get them as hatchies u can get used to the striking before it hurts.

i wouldnt get an adult snake as they can be unpredictable and unless youve raised it urself u really wont know how likely it is to bite. (wouldnt matter as much if it wasnt for the kids)

my first bredli got handled heaps and i totally trust him, im happy to stick my head in his enclosure and give his a great big kiss on the nose, wouldnt do it with any others since they havent been handled that much and will bite from time to time.

while i do love my snakes, i still prefer my lizards, so dont expect them to be AS interactive and handleable as ur lizzies.

no snappier than any other young snakes,..

bredli are a great first snakes, if you get them as hatchies u can get used to the striking before it hurts.

i wouldnt get an adult snake as they can be unpredictable and unless youve raised it urself u really wont know how likely it is to bite. (wouldnt matter as much if it wasnt for the kids)

my first bredli got handled heaps and i totally trust him, im happy to stick my head in his enclosure and give his a great big kiss on the nose, wouldnt do it with any others since they havent been handled that much and will bite from time to time.

while i do love my snakes, i still prefer my lizards, so dont expect them to be AS interactive and handleable as ur lizzies.

Very good point, almost every young snake is a snappy bastard. but Bredlis seem to calm down very quickly with the proper handling and what not.
If your gonna get it as a hatchie, the one thing you have to watch out for, is handling them when they are young, Most of the times that they strike, will be your fault. but once they get out of that stage, great snakes.

Well haven taken all things into consideration, and after reading Doc Rock's terrific article (Thanks shellfisch!) I am of the inclination that an Inland Carpet may just be the choice for me. Think it's a 'safe' decision.
So.... where to from here? Any suggestions of a reputable place to procure from?
There are some pet stores a couple of hours drive from me who sell the odd snake, but would I be better off buying from a breeder?
Thanks for all the help so far Guys!!!

our first snake was a spotted and now we have two stimson's also all very placid so far none have biten or struck me or my children. my daughter will feed all 3 if i need her to and we well i do hand feed all of them daughter uses the twezzers still. good luck with ya first snake

i have an 8 mth old spottie.. shes coming along better now,but at one stage was very snappy.. i would handle her on my own at night when the kids were in bed, as little snake and 7 year old boy were not getting along..lol.. gradually i have introduced my 10 yr old daughter, who now regulary handles her.. I also have a MD, she is 18 mths and a fantastic placid snake.. i got her at ten mths.. they are very different, but maybe go for a yearling, as my spottie has caused me feeding and shedding issues..I got her at 3 mths old.. and i think as the MD was a bit older she had settled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back