Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythons Rule

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there I was just thinking about the quantity of snakes I'm "ALOUD" to keep and how many I would "WANT" to keep ;) and just curious if anyone else has the issue of being stuck at a sertain number and unable to exspand also. I'm 27 and my hubby says no more then 5...I been stuck at 5 for 7 years and I really want a large collection some how like 30. Got any ideas ho I go about exspanding ;) hehe.

so the question is:

how many do you have compared to how many you want?
how do you go about exspanding when the other half or parents are against it?

cheers Jody

what you have to consider is do you want quantity or quality, There are that many that make the mistake of rushing out and buying heaps of reps without first having a think of what they actually want.
We have more than the number of critters you are looking at getting, mainly of 1 particular species as these are the critters we enjoy, Now having said this it takes a lot of work every day, 7 days a week to maintain in all aspects.

as someone's signature on here says..."its better to ask for forgiveness than permission" or something like that.

I believe you own as many as you can afford to and look after 100%.This is including daily care routine and VET care if needed .
...so if that number is only 1 or maybe 101 depends on you ..

Just because you own 30 plus snakes /reptiles doesnt mean your experienced or more acknowledgeable,then someone that only owns a few ..nor does it make you a better keeper ...

for the record I own as many as I can take care of and maintain and that I compromise with my husband so we get a happy medium ...would I like to own more YES but reality is I cant ..

keep it at a level where it is fun , having to many can lose its appeal and turn into nothing more then a job . ect the weekend comes around and you got to spend all your free time cleaning tubs and cages . not my idea of fun anymore it was my idea of fun but not now ... i would rather just own half a dozen reptiles that look amazing to me and build them the best set-up i can think of, rather then just keeping hundreds in plain and boring set-ups . because if you have hundreds of animals things need to be kept simple otherwise it takes so much longer . so you really need to weigh up which is best for you and look at the big picture and find the right balance that fits for you ....

Just tell him 5 pythons or less = no S** hahahahahahahah jokes! :D :p :)

I want 2 more, not worried about the numbers, just fascinated by these particular 2. I would not want a large number as I wouldn't have time to take care of them, nor have the room.

CPI [cpi] indexed to increase @4% per year....in your case : 5 years @ 4% = 20% =1/5th =one extra critter....solar 17 [Baden]...ps and thats without compounding....

its more to do with what you can afford to keep (as in time and money).

donks

I've only got 2 animals at this point in time.. both of which are looked after like kings :D Though I am getting a Tiger snake soon, and then another Monitor, when I can afford it. 4 animals will do me perfectly whilst I am still at home and focussing on University.

My wifes original deal/agreement was one so i got a lil Md then 4mth later got myself a adult pair of Olives
Can stop them mating but why would I lol. Sorry darlin can't sell them all but someone wants to do swapsies!!!!
But I agree with whats been said above time & money Too many & theres no time to enjoy there individual personalities

well a breeder told only have as many snakes as you can afford meaning money spent as well as time that said im still going to have about 40 snakes and lizards one day but am trying to be more selective

hehe well i can have whatever i would like in all aspects of animals however due to large family and space i am limited to space and money.
goal is probaly pair of pygmys, pair of jungles, pair of spotted, and something special like an albino or gtp and that would be it for me.
my gf loves turtles and minitors and the kids geckos so who knows what would happen if we had a property lol

I would love to own 30 one day lol not all right now, I take for ever to find what I want to purchase I'm not interested in the average lookers and I'm only interested in gorgous patterned animals. my personal likings. I would mainly like to keep a few hatchies from each clutch each season but mostly striped animals or very RP animals, slowly making 30 over the next 10 years. mainly Cape Yorks, NT BHP's, B&W Jalletine jungles, RPM's etc so from these last 7 years of owning I've had an idea what I want for a wile, but then something new pops up and I add to the list. theres other ways you can exspand without paying for the animal if you have something that smeone else wants that is, which makes breeding an extra bonus. but mainly want to do it because I love it. my ideal set-up is to have some amazing desplay enclosures with stunning bold patterened animals and then have a seperate set-up for breeding animals and also large outdoor enclosures... big dreams with many more years to come. I dont think I'd be one of those people that would get bored of cleaning and maintaining enclosures if I had as many as 30, its not like I have that much of a life outside the reptile comunity anyways. I'd be in heaven being surounded by amazing animals. I'll keep working on my husband and slowly bring in more every season ;)

the original question though was how many do you have comparied to how many you would like? theres no need to exsplain what you keep but if you could afford to own as many as you want, how many would you deem yourself capable to take care of?

I have a bearded dragon and a spotted python at the moment, but as soon as I can convince the missus, I want to get a MD and a jungle python. would also love a pair of ackies.

Currently I have 6 Pythons and 1 Bearded Dragon and in the current house I am renting there is no more room for others as yet but I am moving in a week in which case I will have a proper reptile room set up and I shall be getting some other critters soon therafter.
I would like to have one or two of just about everything. If it has scales and a forked tongue I want one. but unfortunately we can't all have everything we want.
as others have already said it is important that you can look after the animals with good QUALITY care.

keep it at a level where it is fun , having to many can lose its appeal and turn into nothing more then a job . ect the weekend comes around and you got to spend all your free time cleaning tubs and cages . not my idea of fun anymore it was my idea of fun but not now ... i would rather just own half a dozen reptiles that look amazing to me and build them the best set-up i can think of, rather then just keeping hundreds in plain and boring set-ups . because if you have hundreds of animals things need to be kept simple otherwise it takes so much longer . so you really need to weigh up which is best for you and look at the big picture and find the right balance that fits for you ....
Probably the only/best answer that is needed here. Get as many as you can look after properly. If you start to say/think "oh i will do that another day" then that is a sign that you might have to many.

Quality over quantity you dont want it to be a chore. I have 4 snakes and a beardie and probably will not get any more unless i get rid of one. Maybe change my spotted for a GTP. My wife wanted me to stop when i had 2 snakes and a beardie, then with much negotiation she changed it to i can have as many as i want but only allowed 2 enclosures....so i built a 6.5 ft x 4ft x 3 ft with three bays in it and about to build a 2 bay 6.5ft x 4ft x 2ft for my new albino and het...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back