Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundfix

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering, if someone can tell me, the correct pronunciation ( ie;Shay-nigh)?
i called my new baby jungle shania twain.Aug baby 028.jpg

Haha I thought I was strange for looking this one up before, but from what I have seen it comes from the (male) name Cheyne pronounced more like chain or chain-y, awesome name actually, I know what my next male jungle will be called ;) I'm not sure how it changes with an -i but I'm guessing that would be chain-eye? So that being said I think Shania is a great feminine form!

Well my name is Cheyne (pronounced Shane) so i think I can speak from experience and say you should pronounce it shane-i.

a bit of cut and paste stealing...
RULES FOR THE ENGLISH PRONUNCIATION OF BIOLOGICAL LATIN: )

CH is pronounced as K: chorus, echo, chrysanthemum.

Just reduced it.... http://capewest.ca/pron.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Snowman, thanks- but we're talking species, not biological Latin. Very different.i dont think the naming of species has to conform with latin anyway.
Dick Cheney,hmmmChain-ie,-It would end in ie(Cheynie) instead of ei.
I thought you pronounce it like Dick Cheney

Last edited:
If anyone knows how/who is responcible for naming the Cheynei of the Morelia spilotes sub, then this would help. ie: the dude that discovered childrens python, his name was G Childs.This is sometimes how they get there species name.if we knew who,named the species, then the origin of pronunciationwould be accurate.Im sure its on this world wide web somewhere,-hopefully someone will pick up my quest.
Anyway, the snake is called Cheynie-a Twain. pronounced,-Shania Twain.

If anyone knows how/who is responcible for naming the Cheynei of the Morelia spilotes sub, then this would help. ie: the dude that discovered childrens python, his name was G Childs.This is sometimes how they get there species name.if we knew who,named the species, then the origin of pronunciationwould be accurate.Im sure its on this world wide web somewhere,-hopefully someone will pick up my quest.
Anyway, the snake is called Cheynie-a Twain. pronounced,-Shania Twain.

Well what I had found when I went looking for the etymology was:
"Morelia spilota cheynei - described as a full species in Wells & Wellington (1984): named for Cheyne Wellington.2 - Wells & Wellington (1984). A synopsis of the Class Reptilia in Australia. Australian Journal of Herpetology, 1(3-4):73-129." So if you track down Cheyne Wellington we will know

Hey Snowman, thanks- but we're talking species, not biological Latin. Very different.i dont think the naming of species has to conform with latin anyway.
Dick Cheney,hmmmChain-ie,-It would end in ie(Cheynie) instead of ei.

LOL um the scientific names are based on Latin even when they use non Latin words.... Thats why it's Childreni..not children.. For another carpet python we have the name M.S. Imbricata. Imbricata meaning overlapping. Agree that if it's someones name as in Childreni the Ch keeps it's ch (church) sound.

http://www.scientific.hickerphoto.com/

The basis of scientific names for animals and plants is the Latin language.
Scientists use a naming system which is known as Binomial nomenclature, which is basically giving the animals and plants surnames as well as christian names (or personal names).
This system of scientific names was proposed and established by Carl Linnaeus, a Swedish biologist, in circa 1758.
Species are grouped into clans, that is like the family name even though their genus (or surname) may be different. There personal name is the specific name for that species.
The Genus (or surname) as a general rule starts with a capital letter while the Specific name (or personal name) is written completely in lower case.
At times the Genus will be abbreviated to the first letter (the capital letter) followed by the Specific name in full, however this is only after the entire name has been written out in full once.

oh and it was named after Cheyne Wellington.

Well if discovered by Cheyne Wellington, I am gunna say its pronounced Shane-i (unless I have been pronouncing my own name for a long time now).

I believe there are a few ways to pronounce Cheyne: chain, chainy and shane would all be correct. And about the Latin, I haven't studied it but remember it is a "commemorative name" so the Latin pronunciations may not necessarily apply except to the suffix.

Well if discovered by Cheyne Wellington, I am gunna say its pronounced Shane-i (unless I have been pronouncing my own name for a long time now).

agree.. Shane-eye +1
Just my uneducated opinion.

IMO in unaustralian to talk latin properly. I thought it was like chainy, but who cares the subspecies probably isnt valid so im with waterrat.

lol, what i find funniest is people want to find out how to pronounce something on a forum, because someones gunna speak it fluently to you over a keyboard. i'd pressume shane-i like other suggested but who'd know, anyone here know latin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back