My new fancy rats and mice :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Well, i've splurged this week :)

Here are the results!

Rats

Spud - Dove? hooded rex
IMG_5187.jpg

Persi (Short for Persistant!) - Agouti Berkshire Silk (Basically longer thinner coat than normal)
IMG_5190.jpg

Unnamed - Agouti mm Hooded Headspot
IMG_5198.jpg

Unnamed - Black mm Hooded Headspot
IMG_5197.jpg

Beauty - Argente mm Berkshire
IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

Fifi - Mink Variegated Downunder
IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

Beast - Black mm Hooded Headspot
IMG_5260.jpg

Unnamed - Mink Self Velour (Recessive Rex)
IMG_5258.jpg

Bayard - Blue Variegated Berkshire Wedge Blazed
IMG_5277.jpg

Bayard, Mooki (Agouti Berkshire Rex) and Unnamed (Champagne mm Hooded Headspot)
IMG_5265.jpg

Mooki, Unnamed and Unnamed.
IMG_5271.jpg

Unnamed, Mooki, Unnamed and Bayard.
IMG_5273.jpg

Unnamed - Cinnamon Self
IMG_5278.jpg

Fifi also has a litter of nine at the moment

Girls - 1x Blue Hooded, 1x Blue Berk, 1x Black Hooded, 2x Black Varieberk Downunders
IMG_5250.jpg

IMG_5251.jpg

Boys - 2x Black Hooded, 1x Blue hooded, 1x Black Varieberk? Downunder
IMG_5254.jpg

Scrumpy - Black Hooded Downunder
IMG_5339.jpg

Elsie - Champagne Hooded Downunder
IMG_5409.jpg

Mice

Females
IMG_5285.jpg

2x Ticked, 1x Choc Siamese) Lavender Marked Tan/Black Marked Tan/Blue Tan Longcoat/Black Rex/BEW.

Boys

Dove x 3, Bone x 1
IMG_5289.jpg

IMG_5290.jpg

PEW, Choc Marked
IMG_5293.jpg

Ok, so i got a little trigger happy with the camera.. :p But i was so excited with my newbies! :D

Love the blues, cinnamon, and choc marked! (My boys were cinnamon and blue-hooded) I'll be in touch in the future ;)

I only just noticed what Bayard is doing to Beast.. LOL

Let me know when you're ready or even almost ready for more rats so i can have some nice bubs available for you :)

the ones that look like hoodeds without the stripes are barebacks beautiful colection you have there also i wouldnt bet on the little one being a silk shes to young to tell and basicaly silk is just missing gaird hairs wick they dont get till there about 4 months old. If you start throwing black or grey berkshire rex's or downunder rexs let me know as i would be more than happy to buy a few off you to add to my lines :)

None of the rats here are true barebacks so i didn't list them as barebacks. The agouti girl has a huge bum spot. And various others have small spots all over (Barely visible). A true bareback has absolutely nothing but white from shoulders back.

The silk, is definitely silk. She came from an experienced breeder in VIC whom i trust. I've also seen her brothers and sisters. Some were standard coat others weren't. She's most likely not going to be the greatest silk since it wasn't a silk x silk litter but i'm happy to start from the bottom and work my way up. I've had my fair share of carasilk and silky litters as well and it is quite visible from roughly two weeks of age. :)

I am trying to stay away from berkshires these days sorry, but hooded downunder rexes i may be able to help with :) I may have the occasional berks though.

Bayard has an incredible blaze.

Some real stunners amongst them.

Lovely mice....I might be bias but you need some of mine:
minimarty.jpg

rum1-1.jpg

icedmidori.jpg

:D

I'm assuming some of those originate from my blue agouti manx boy :p Stunning pics though! Reckon you'll have any available next show?

I have no idea what all that means how do you get a specific type of rat?

Are there breeders of specific rat forms etc?

Also are they bought as food or are you just obsessed with rats?

My partner likes to pick the "cute" dead rats as food,

but I really could care less about colors & hair type.

itbites - yes, there are different "morphs" and colour and hair patterns in rats and mice, just like in snakes (not hair type, obviously). And rat fanciers tend to be even more crazy that reptile ones ;)

I can definitely second that.. Pet rat people are usually quite insane. There are some though, that are sane. Usually those who are open to reptiles.

Strange as it may sound, i'm not one of the insane ones :p

I breed for food and pets. I like experimenting with the different types of rats :) It keeps me occupied.

Opinions would be divided as to whether I was one of the sane ones. I reserve the right not to comment :p .

Had to think ... yes there is one related to Tommy!
Only one, the first one. Tommy is his grandfather, so far so good :) . I think we've made progress, I'll let you know how it goes.
I honestly don't know what I'm going to have available next show?
The blue agouti line is done for this generation and I'm planning next generation now but I won't pair till the end of October, I need that time to monitor them.

I'll keep an eye out for something really special anyway, are you after anything in paticular?

Some within the rodent fancy can be a bit of a headache. (That's what happens when you eat too many vegetables :D .)
The international fanciers aren't so nutty, I get on really well with most of them.
I'm learning about mouse specific breeding programs/practices for show stock and how to impliment them to get the most out of our animals.

itbites, it's really personal preference. Rats and mice aren't the type of pet for everyone, not everyone will warm to them. Not everyone likes reptiles either.
I'm an admirer of all animals ..... except mosquitos!

Rats and mice come in a rainbow of colours and varieties. There are only very few basic colours. and coat varieties.
All others are variations or combinations of those genes.

I'd very much like a manx from Tommys line :) I knew it was the first one! He/she just screams Tommy :p

He is very Tommyish...didn't get Martelle's face at all. Got his short tail though LOL.

I'm slowly phasing out manx so I'll have a few to spare. I'm keeping a couple for show only.
Manx is still very strong in that line, I'm sure a nice one will pop up.

have to say that blazes are my favourites. An interesting colour form that I have had turn up in my rats is a reverse blze. There is a darker coloured mask/blaze on their faces instead of the white. The base colour is pale tan (can't remember the correct colour term) hooded. I'll try and get a decent pic and post them ..... I breed for temprement regardless of pet or food. I want to be confident that when I put my hand in the cage to check on the litter I'm not going to get bitten.

I think that it was Helikaon who made the point that reptile keepers produced some of the best fancy rodents because they have a use for the ones that are not required rather than trying to "find a good home" for them. I am guilty of offering a good home to small fuzzy animals (so what if it is my freezer).
Nice animals btw, have often thought about getting into them but just at present have not got time or space, but that is changing.

Your mice and rats are lovely! I'm glad to see there are other people who like them AND reptiles- an interesting combination, all things considered. I used to be in the mouse and rat club when I was a kid. I even won a trophy once and some ribbons for some of my mice.

My sister is considering getting some rats again when she moves into her new place, so if you breed some rats with blazes on their noses I'll be interested in buying in another year or so. :)

Icedmice,
May i ask what 'type' the brown ...fluffy?.. mouse is that you've posted a picture of?
It is the most interesting mouse i have seen!
And sorry if i have labelled it incorrectly :)

Hahaha, what cute little animals. My favourite there would have to be the Argente, cinnamon and choc marked ones. I use to have fluffy mice until cat(s) found their way into my shed and wiped out all my mice :( My rats gave them what for but they still managed to knock my rats down and most escaped or succumbed to the cats. I now have two closing doors on my shed and almost no rodents left. But I just acquired 5 new rats to start building them up. My mice? I have 8 siamese marked and 2 brindles with white patches. Out of them all I have one male and I know nobody in Kempsey where I can get some more. So I am making a special trip to Port Macquarie on Thursday to hunt for some new mousies :)

These are two of my siameses. Some have paler body colour than others, I quite like the whiter coat with the darker points, much like the himilayan rabbit.
P1170744.jpg

Old photo but I have two left similar to this guy but white white bums
P1170781.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back