Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icedmice

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking seriously about buying a snake but not this year because I already own half of Taronga zoo.

I also need to arrange for my basic reptile keepers licence and try to find who I loaned my "keeping reptiles in captivity" book to.

I've been a reptile fanatic since the age of three when I caught my first garden skink. My family are actually surprised I waited so long. In terms of husbandry I need to learn the specifics once I know what type I'm looking at.

I already have a small exo terra enclosure (60cm x 45cm) and will be looking into accessories, there is a reptile shop in Narellan with all the bells and whistles. Really helpful guy, I got some nice tubs for my mice there.

I'm looking for a small snake, vibrantly coloured with nice clear markings that typically easy to handle and not a fussy eater.

I was thinking of a stimson python but a woma was suggested.

Are you allowed to keep womas on a basic licence?

If anyone knows of a good breeder that can mentor me in snake keeping basics or can recommend any good books that'd be great.

stimmies are a good first snake they dont get too big. but if you want colour id have to say the bredli or black and golds

Wouldn't a Bredli outgrow my enclosure?

I know it would take a long time but still.....

I do have a large 5 bay snake cabinet for monster sized snakes, the thermostat was removed. I tried to convert it to a rat grotto but there isn't enough ventilation for rats.
I could always swap it for a nice snake.

I think a small snake would suit me best.

I know keeping a snake is not going to help my cause when it comes to my rodentry name.
It really is just a coincidence, I like to name my mice after alcoholic beverages.

hey icedmice- your bredli wouldnt outgrow your enclosure for a year i would think, depending on how young you got it. If you're happy to upgrade when it looks like it's going to need more room, they're really nice looking snakes, and temperament wise you seem to get an even mix of sweet natured/ snappy individuals- probably all about how they're handled as hatchies, so just buy from a reputable breeder and handle it first. Otherwise, if you want a little snake (1-1.5m), go for one of the Antaresia species. I have stimsons pythons, which i love, and i find them perfect pythons for all ages- theyre not too scary for oldies, and not too heavy for the kids :) They're a perfect snake to start with too- hardy, good eaters, not snappy, very fine teeth even if they are snappy, so they rarely break the skin, dont grow too big, but big enough for a presence. I love them, so i'm a bit biased- and i think you can get beautifully marked stimmies, but the childrens pythons are beautiful too and there's nothing like a Antaresia maculosa python- or the sheen on rough scaled pythons. Woma's are the next licence up in WA, and i think they are in NSW too, but you'd need to check- google 'NSW- approved reptile keeping list' and i'm pretty sure that'll bring up the native list for 2010 :)

good luck- let us know what you go with! The possibilities are endless :p

Get a bredli. I'd chose one of my carpets over my stimi's anyday. They are always out on their branch or cruising around. My Stimi's spend most of their time in their hides compared to my carpets...
My first snakes were carpets, no regrets. Though a bit disapointed in stimi's after owning a carpet. ;)
I can understand stimi's are often a first choice snake because some people are a bit scared of bigger pythons. But get your carpet under 1 year old and you will grow with it. Plus you wil never have a fear of bigger pythons as some stimi owners do. I really want an olive.. but they are cat 5 in WA (ridiculous!)
You really need the opinions of people who keep both Bredli and Stimi's and what they prefer.

ps
I don't hate stimi's. I just like my Imbricata more.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree snowman i own a couple of ants childrens and stimmies as well as a few bredlis and i love the bredlis more they are always out always active both day and night and they imo more fun to handle as they dont stay still

love it

woma's are on basic lic. in nsw.
fantastic snake, i started with a stimi, now have jungles, darwin and a woma and far and away the woma is the most interesting. good looks, easy to care for and interesting traits, like there crazy tail wagging, go the woma!

Cheers for the suggestions.

I bought a book today. "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons" edited by Mike Swan. Looks good, it's $50 from Dymocks. Got lots of info.

Not that I don't mind big pythons, I've got plenty of photos of me cuddling diamond pythons and olives from the reptile park.
Enclosures are one factor the other is I get a little too attached to my pet rats and it'd be something I'm not sure I'd be ready to adjust to just yet.

OK well it's still a toss up between the stimmi and the woma, my OH likes the pic of the MacDonnel Ranges Stimson from the latest Reptiles Australia magazine.
I LOVE photos of womas but I can't recall ever seeing one....I probably have at the reptile park but don't remember. My cousin (other reptile fanatic) also thinks the woma.
I'd need to meet a couple. I might take a visit to the reptile park to investigate before deciding.

I don't ever recall seeing a plains rat before I got them either :p . Now I have 4 greeting me from their enclosure every day, two will come up to my hand to investigate....I'm so lucky :) .
Not too many get that opportunity.

There are some stunning spotteds around.. That was what got us hooked :p You can meet one of my girls if you like?

I've heard stimmies have bad tempers, but you get that with all snakes lol They are pretty though. I'm still dreaming about owning an Indee Station Stimmie haha

Spotted pythons are great, they dont grow big, so calm when handled. The local pre school always ask me to bring mine over when they have a family day as all the kids love to hold them, mums and dads dont come near me but the kids love to handle them. The teachers take photos of the kids with the snake around their necks.
Check out my pics and see how great they are with kids. My photos are on my profile page.
Cheers and good luck with what ever snake you chose.

Bredli are my fav python. Some one offered me $1000 for my classic girl and I said no. Sold my childrens and murray darlings though, regretfully but still need to make room for other things.
Enclosures only need to be as big as you can manage. yeh big is great but I know plenty of people who have them in nothing more than 120x60x60cm enclosures. Mine is 100x120x60cm.
They actually get smaller as they grow. Meaning that yeh you can go hold a big one and think wow how could I manage this but if you get a little one and grow it up, you get used of the size and it really doesnt seem that big.
But if you want a lil snake, they're cool to.

i have a 8mth old spottie, very cute, nice colour, can be a little snappy sometimes.. i also have a murray darling. bit big for what your looking for now, but in the future if you decide to go a little bigger, md is a great snake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back