"Rude"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
out of curiosity as it is given that gtp's are a look don't touch snake, how are they temprement wise when you are cleaning viv's out?...Do they strike, are they inquisitive to check you out or do they just ignore you?

The joys of breeding and selling snakes. I too don't reply to about half of the enquiries I get. I'm not going to waste my time, after a few years you get good at picking the tyre kickers.

out of curiosity as it is given that gtp's are a look don't touch snake, how are they temprement wise when you are cleaning viv's out?...Do they strike, are they inquisitive to check you out or do they just ignore you?

It has nothing to do with their temperament. GTPs are docile just like many other python species and can be handled easily. In all those years I have never been bitten by any of my snakes. I don't handle them unless I have to out of respect - they sleep during the day and go about their business at night. I feel that my interference may not be appreciated.
If I have the urge to pet and cuddle ....... I have a wife. :D

I think prevention is a good option here. If you inform the buyer of the procedure before they end up on your door step (as I imgine to get that far you would have had converstations with the prospective buyer at this stage not just given out ur address) and make things very clear before they arrive that you do not allow people to handle your snakes for the following reasons ect.. Then the buyer has no excuse other than being completly stupid to ask to touch any of your snakes. I dont know a hell of alot about snakes, I dont even own one. So I would not have known not to ask if I could handle it before I purchase it unless it was stated otherwise. I also only would have guessed at why you would not let me handle it. What seams common sence to people that have been in this industry for many years is not always that obvious to people new who have not experienced the loss of a collection or seen or heard about the deadly viruses out there. I agree with what people are venting, I just thought I would put another opinon out there as well.

It has nothing to do with their temperament. GTPs are docile just like many other python species and can be handled easily. In all those years I have never been bitten by any of my snakes. I don't handle them unless I have to out of respect - they sleep during the day and go about their business at night. I feel that my interference may not be appreciated.
If I have the urge to pet and cuddle ....... I have a wife. :D

Good call...I'm the same I don't handle unless necessary but find a couple to be quite jumpy when I'm cleaning and haveing never seen a gtp in person other than the zoo their mouths look a little intimidating, I loooove the look of the gtp and that's apart of the reason why I initially bought the snakes I have now so I can learn enough husbandry to one day add a stunner to my collection...I have a hubby to cuddle when the urge arises but I prefer my beardy for company lol

you guys have given me some good ideas to what I should do when selling any other pythons in the near future. before I would post specific individual for sale have a few phone conversations with the buyer first before getting them to meet me at my house, so I could find out that there interested for surtain. I've turned down alot of buyers same goes when I was breeding pure bred siberian huskies would not give out directions till I worked out they where serious buyers. theres alot of tire kickers out there in anything you breed or sell animal wise. I then invite the person over and they will only handle the python they chose, if it was a pay off thing they'd put deposit on it before being able to handle it. and wouldn't take it home till its fully payed off.

in hearing your methods.. i would prefer to buy off someone like yourself... common sense isnt common!!

I must admit when I brought my spotted python from URS at their warehouse i was a bit thrown off when he said I couldnt touch it. Not really knowing or thinking at the time about diseases and such I didnt realise the risk or the reason for it, having never had a snake before.

Now, I would have no problem and would not expect to be able to touch anyones snake before purchasing. And I would be glad that I wasnt offered, so i know others before me haven't held it!

In the end, its probably not those who won't let you touch it who have something to hide, but the ones who will let you.

I now divert all enquiries to my new web site, where in the "contact" page they have to fill in their name, phone number and a message. If I like their approach and attitude I respond, If I don't, I don't. It's surprising how many "not so potential buyers" back off when confronted with a one on one telephone conversation. Some just can't handle the prospect of it.

I like your style Michael, A courteous response is all that is required
Cheers
Sandee :)

Great thread and methods...keep em' coming!

Thank you Sandee.
It's a two way street - some buyers think they're doing me a great favor by showing interest in my snakes and on the other hand I sometime think I am doing them favor by offering my snakes for sale. In any case, a transaction should involve bit more than just a short dialog about the price. Right or wrong, I reserve the right to ask questions in order to make up my mind whether I want to sell my snake(s) to any particular person and I don't feel bad about refusing a sale (politely as possible). Some don't take it kindly.

i still recall your style sandee ;) i imagine many would give up when you don't have any idea of the final destination lol, very effective.

i really don't see an issue with people not handling snakes prior to purchasing, i think the least a buyer can do is show some respect for the breeders wishes and be greatful they are getting as clean and disease free an animal as possible.

Now I see you have healthy amount of responses on this issue all whom agree with you. However I have to disagree to a certain degree here. If you put up "an item" up for sale, be it a snake, a dog or a motorbike you will for sure have potential buyers who will ask questions left right and centre. If you are serious about selling your "items" I am sure you will answer most those questions to the best of your knowledge. Ie one of those questions being "does the snake handle OK? " with an answer like this "it handles OK with me, but I can`t promise anything". OK. Well as a potential buyer I would ask if I can see what I am about to buy, but wont promise anything either.

Now I saw someone that said a serious IT tech would`nt need turn on the PC to see if it`s good, ofcourse you will turn it on (unless you are in the shops where a warranty is given). Same goes for serious buyers at this forum. You would like to know what you are buying.
I have been selling wine for a long time and I cant`t tell my customers that what`s in the bottle is good just because the bottle has a cool design. I will actually open the bottle to let them have a taste. Now I am not saying you have to let customers handle your snakes, but to have a look before deciding to buy should not be too difficult. Most people who`s looking to buy a snake does not believe they are going to the zoo for "free" as someone here said, but if they take the step to come around to where ever you keep your reptiles they are actually there to buy stuff. I too understand it`s not from a shop, but you would think "power sellers" like solar 17 who looks like he has this as a business don`t give you access to his whole house, but perhaps he has a small home office where he sells his stuff from. Many people have an office at home where thay take care of their customers and want to sell their stuff from. Offcourse you can refuse a buyer if you feel like they are not the right one, but just on the basis of a inconsis PM I am not sure?
Now, I am the person who solar 17 talks about. I was however not the one to PM him the message he got upset about, that was my 9 year old daugther who got excited before school this morning. She knows she`s not to give her name on the internet to anyone, thats why the name lacked in her message. I read the message later on, and it does not say anything about handling the snake, JUST have a look (if it attacks me thru the glass we would know it`s not a placid one for sure)In our initial message (before the "rude" one) we also stated that it was for a young girl( which possibly leaves the potential of lunies out) In all fairness, she has macked me around a bit on this forum, with messages left right and centre, but this time I said we could get some new ones, she did her research and found these ones.
Anyways, I believe as a buyer you should be able to have a look, check out how the sellers snakes are kept and if you do not like what you see you can refuse to buy aswell. I do not want to be in "contract" if I dont like what I see, and for a buyer it`s not any easier.
He puts up his scenarios, what about this scenario
The seller knew it was a little girl involved, mum and daughter comes to sellers house, he is some kind of a nuttercase and you write the rest of this story. We are all taking precautions online, and I am very glad my daugther did the same thing. Even if it means she`s not getting what she wants for birthday (4 years she`s been waiting for this moment) now I am gonna have to tell her she was too "rude"....oh wait I will not tell her that just that he was sold out after all
shun me

As important as I thought it would be to handle a snake first after having read that was what a prospective buyer does... I can now see how wrong that is. All of the websites I've visted suggesting what to do with the prospective new animal have suggested handling - I never even condsidered the vast diseases that could be spread.

Great thread, and you sound like the kind of guy I'd like to deal with Baden. :)

Junglemac, there are few things in your post that made my eyes roll but I am not a parent........ so, no comment.
One thing I dare to say, the buyer, any buyer shouldn't demand seeing how the breeder keeps his/her snakes. If you buy a pair of shoes, the shoemaker doesn't take you behind the scenes to show you how he does it and what tools he uses.
No way, I would let stranger wonder around my set up and equipment, that for several reasons I won't elaborate on here.
Anyway, I hope you will find what you're looking for and good luck.

Demand no, ask...sure. but It wouldn't be to see albinos, GTP's it would be to see the parents of the python you are purchasing.

Personally I would like to see how it was kept and how the breeder looks after them. I saw how baden's were keept and it amazed me, his rodents even eat better than everyone in my office at work! lol

lol yeah fair enough baden i thought u had a great way of doing things mate. except that so called frisk was a little weird lol

What do you mean by frisk haha like at a night club :p
Its always going to be hard when people know where you live and you dont wont to look bad by meeting somewhere...buyers just have to understand these things...i agree with what your saying baden

Demand no, ask...sure. but It wouldn't be to see albinos, GTP's it would be to see the parents of the python you are purchasing.

Personally I would like to see how it was kept and how the breeder looks after them.

Can you make the first two sentences more "reader friendly"? I am not sure what you mean. Sorry, I am a slow bugger.

Hypothetically, if you were interested in my snakes:
You can see all I would want you to see on my web site. If you turned up at my front door to buy a snake, and I asked you "show me your cash" would you be offended?

Demand to see how the breeder/keeper keeps their snakes. No

Ask to see their parents and how they have been keept, yes - but why would that offend?

What I was meaning to say was, asking to see the parents is a reasonable question. Asking to see their other collection of snakes eg GTP, albinos etc isn't.

Of course if I turned up at your doorstep interesting in purchasing a python and you asked me "show me your cash" I would be offended and it would be wondering why.

Scenario: First time snake owner. researches the python they are interested in purchasing. they will not know how much security is actually needed. a first time snake owner asking to see your animals wouldn't know right from wrong. I never would thought it would offend you to see your animals. now of course I do with experience and i've learnt more about reptiles/hobbies etc

edit: and if they seller refuses, I respect that, i'm not going to kick up a storm, I understand the security involved now and why they wouldn't like me to view it. after all I am a stranger to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back