Show us your dogs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MY BLUE HOUND RUBY. Named after the song by the kaiser chiefs as that was the next song that came on the radio. She's a serious party dog. everyone in Stuarts Point knows her. This was her raging on, on australia day. and the other one is of her partying on after a night at the pub with the boys. Such a faithful dog. full of energy and a great guard dog. Get a blue heeler. they wont let you down.

Attachments

• DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 63
arnie.jpg

this is my families dog, Arnie. we named him Arnie after Arnold Schwartzenegger (not sure about the spelling) thinking he would be big a muscular because hes a purebreed english staffy, but turns out he likes his food and has a bit of extra weight on him to put it nicely. you cant see it in the picture as its a little bit old but you sure can in really life!
good luck finding a dog! :)

Gorgeous puppies everyone! Here's some pics of my lil angel Scarling...

Puppy Scarls

Scarls14w.jpg

Scarls8mo.jpg

Scarls12dysaftrbrthng.jpg

With her mummy lol

DSCF2061.jpg

Hey thals awesome dog! what breed is that? Is it a staffy as well?

these are my two puppies, standard poodle and bull arab x.

poor bull arab is about to go into surgery again now, has an abcess on her leg/butt. She's had a bad year and also ran into a bit of concrete reo and pushed it through her back leg, has a pear shaped bladder that needed to knock her out for inspection and xrays and de-sexed at the start of the year. must be getting sick of being knocked out, glad the wife works at a vet surgery.

Attachments

• DSC_0544.jpg
    DSC_0544.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0551.jpg
    DSC_0551.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Pic_0320_001.jpg
    Pic_0320_001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 40
Barry & his dad Tubby

Attachments

• Bazza 0088.jpg
    Bazza 0088.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 52
  • american.jpg
    american.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 49
That's fantastic that you are looking to go to a shelter, make sure you check out all the rehoming shelters in your area not just the RSPCA :)

MY purebred... a Groenendael dog 'Dante' gorgeous breed :) as a breed they are prone to hip and elbow displaysia, progressive retinal atrophy and epilepsy. Getting them from a breeder who can give you all their RECENT health records and hip/eye/elbow scores that are all above the breed average will help you get an animal who has been bred for sound health.
june to july 10 090.jpgjune to july 10 195.jpgmay to june 2010 054.jpg

Then the shelties, associated health problems are too numerous to list... haha and then i have two of them *sigh*
recent photos for facey 143.jpg

And then my mutt, 'Sadie', the rotti x retriever.

late march 2010 002.jpg

I personally disagree with the 'hybrid vigour' theory that you are 'watering down' health problems associated with purebreds. I feel that if you go and research a responsible breeder you will be getting yourself a good dog with a greater degree of certainty of what you will end up with. On the other hand, mutts are fabulous, can be amazingly healthy dogs and never have a problem with them. Or, you can end up with a mutt from two poorly bred purebred parents with health problems that only become amplified in the puppies. For example, Sadie is a rotti x retriever, two large breed dogs known for their high incidence of hip dysplasia. By getting a litter from two such parents you are not going to end up with puppies less prone to hip dysplasia, rather you run the risk of them having worse hips just as if you put a retriever to a retriever with bads hips, same applies to a german shepherd or rotti. So with Sadie i am constantly monitoring her for signs of bad hips and elbows, she is still young and not showing signs yet, and lucky because she is a runt and so only half the weight she should be, and therefore less likely to develope bad hips from excess weight even if she is prone to the disorder.

If you are going to get a mutt from a shelter, try and go for one that is obviously not a shepherd, rotti, retriever or spaniel cross as they are all known for their bad hips. I would definitely avoid breeds such as the bulldogs and sharpeis because of the skin folds, eye problems, soft palate obstructions, etc. Sharpeis are also very prone to bad ears because of their classic 'cauliflour ear' where the tissue is compacted and constricts the ear canal. This reduces the air flow in the ear and can lead to bad bacterial and yeast infections. I would suggest avoiding all brachicephalic breeds (your 'squished' faces like boxers, bulldogs, some cavs, etc.) as they all tend towards having breathing problems and the face is shorter but the exess soft palate interferes with swallowing and breathing.

Also avoid dolicocephalic breeds (long faces) such as your greyhounds, collies, borzois, salukis, afgahns, whippets, etc as they can get terribly teeth if you don't brush them often. This is because their teeth do not meet in the classic scissor bite of breeds that haven't been messed with so much such as your labradore (the mesocephalic head). teeth that meet in a good scissor bite such as labs tend to self clean while they eat and chew, other breeds dont have this and so rely on you to clean their teeth for them. On that note, i dont know if its been mentioned yet, but DO NOT feed your dogs bones that have been 'conveniently' cut in half longways by the butcher, request that they are left whole for you. but splitting the bone this leaves a solid edge for the dog to anchor its carnassial tooth (the massive bone crunching tooth) and CRACK, the dogs jaw is stronger than the tooth and thus the tooth cracks before the dog stops biting down. even my little shelties have done this (ive learnt all these lessons the hard way :( ) by leaving the bone whole the dog cant get a solid grip down the shaft of the bone and instead focusses on the soft cartilagenous material at the ends which is fabulous for cleaning (and nto breaking!) their teeth on.

i've gone on a rant here havent i? sigh.

so. research your breed, its easy to find all the potential health issues of your chosen shortlist of breeds by googling it. talk to breeders and find one that can show you all of their recent health records. you'll know when you have found a good one.

if you are going to go to the shelters make sure you assess the physical characteristics of the dogs you are interested in and be honest with yourself about how much work you are willing to put in in terms of maintaining dental health, future vet bills for health problems like hips and joint health, keeping skin problems under control and of course making sure you can handle the breeds required level of physical and mental stimulation. all very important things to consider. i havent even mentioned coat maintenance. ugh. im going to stop now

phil and (insert the other vet student here) who has been following this thread are certainly your/ best sources of knowldge here. i am only a vet nurse so take everything ive said with a grain of salt as there are mutlitudes of schools of thought on these topics.

do your research and good luck!

My boy, Rex he's a lab x kelpie
We got him from sippy creek animal refuge. Such a sook and very loyal though hes scared of the reptiles he guards them from the magpies when their out in the sun
Photo07.jpgPhoto0077.jpgPhoto0051.jpg

@shooshoo thank you for taking the time to type all that out for me lol. I definitely won't be getting a dog until I am fully ready and committed that's why I'm researching all that I can now. I see that you haven't mentioned staffy in your list of not so good candidates, so would they be okay? I love big muscular dogs that could potentially be a guard dog + a family dog at the same time. short coat is preferable. lol What do you think is best for me? haha

royboy.jpg

Roy a mini bully, he went missing last year for 3 months , even though he was microchipped .

OMG I love mini bullies! I have std, but i am incredibly tempted to get a mini as a friend for him.

He doesn't like trees...
IMG_0291.jpg

or hammers
IMG_7800.jpg

Picture 319.jpgPicture 676.jpg
The first one is Shadow, he is a Kelpie X Pomeranian Spitz. The next one is Maggie, She is a Rotty X Border Collie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back