best way to kill a toad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats best way to kill a cane toad?

• freezer

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • golf club

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • aspro clear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what - I just showed my girlfriend this thread... she's not a herper like us... and her words were "That's disgusting... what the hell is wrong with these people... Aren't they animal lovers? Are toads not animals? That is disgusting...."

Wow, I really do hope you're all proud of yourselves....

Because, I've never read such absolute tripe in my life.... As herpers - you KNOW BETTER!!!

actually golf clubs do work you just need to hit the top lip and it rips the scull out

Mate - think about it... killing maybe... but you've done less than half the job... in fact, all you've done is move the problem 75m in a new direction - alive or dead....

I guarantee at least 30% of golf clubbed toads survive in pain... and become easy targets to poison our wildlife...

The remaining 70% are there for kookaburras and scavengers to die from....

I don't believe the golf club works 100% of the time.. nor do I think it is a humane way to kill a toad....

My method is 100% guaranteed.

if it disgusts u so much mate and that bad why bother replying then showing your girlfriend imo

Freezing is as inhumane as it's possible to get and a good old 4x2 is almost certainly more humane but wait ........

THERE IS A COMPLETELY HUMANE AND CHEAP METHOD OF KILLING TOADS WHICH DOESN'T INVOLVE PUTTING IN THE FREEZER WITH YOUR FOOD. Clove oil is cheap and readily available from your local pharmacy. A small bottle will take care of many, many toads.

A FEW DROPS ON THE BACK OF A TOAD AND WITHIN 30 MINS IT WILL DRIFT OFF CALMLY INTO PERMANENT TOADY OBLIVION WITH NO APPARENT STRESS, PAIN OR DISCOMFORT. Then into the bin or whatever.

Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

CLOVE OIL

pfft, they need to die.

Now if you read my comments and understood my sentiments you'd know... I am not against killing toads... I'm against the inhumane treatment of the pest...

I told you MY method (hence I kill toads).

It's not rocket science mate... it's plain easy biology with a little touch of humaneness. Is that too hard to believe?

Now, personally.. I LOVE TOADS... They're an AWESOME spectacle on this planet... They're so powerful that they can't be controlled... That is something to admire...

Yes... they need to be controlled somehow - and our feeble attempts do nothing... But... on top of that... If you do it properly - each female you take out has potentially removed 50,000 new toads from the equation...

they're the super creature in the wrong place... over suited to their environment and super competitive....

However... if you do a lot of study (as I believe I have) on toads you'll find they're NOT out-competing to the extent that people believe NOR are they killing as many of our wild animals as first thought (in fact, for the last few studies it has shown that the toads moving into new areas of the country are killing serious amounts of wildlife, but where toads have been firmly planted for 30 or ore years, wildlife (native) populations have increased significantly - in some cases are doing very well - as the toad has removed many predators of frogs, geckoes etc....)

Animals have also adapted... Crocodiles are still highly susceptible - but only a few snakes, monitors etc are now falling to the toad - in fact, numbers in places like cairns are now hard to find - because they're just not killing these herps any more.

Some animals have even learnt what parts of the toads are edible and are using them as a variable food source.

Toads have controlled the population of mosquitoes and many other pest insects.

So - make sure you look at ALL avenues before over labelling toads as pests.... They are not as bad as you all crank them up to be....

if it disgusts u so much mate and that bad why bother replying then showing your girlfriend imo

What the is this about?

It disgusts me that people are in their right to think it is right.... So I chose to suggest better or more humane methods... Nagraj has shown another - I have not seen or tested.

the RSPCA recommend freezing.... I would trust their judgement.

As far as replying goes - i think it is all about education... those who choose will... those who don't are unfortunately beyond reason... that becomes their choice... All I can do is lead the horse to water... the others can go to the butchery in WA.

Some animals have even learnt what parts of the toads are edible and are using them as a variable food source.

Toads have controlled the population of mosquitoes and many other pest insects.

to be....

ill take crocs snakes and dogs to live and put up with the mosquitos and im sure most people would agree CANE TOADS ALL SUCKyeah because who would want our reptiles as long as the mosquitos are gone

Last edited:
we should make a virus to kill em

Currently under construction at JCU. Unlikely to be released under strong (very very very strong) opposition.

Plus new studies are showing the toad is less of a pest than originally thought.

They've never reached the same status at EPA or DPI as the likes of tilapia, mosquito fish, rabbits (Qld) or corn snakes.... there's good reason for that too.

ill take crocs snakes and dogs to live and put up with the mosquitos and im sure most people would agree CANE TOADS ALL SUCK who cares about our reptiles as long as the mosquitos are gone

Now you're not making sense....

You want crocs and dogs, and mosquitoes, but not toads and reptiles??? And not mosquitoes? Hmmmm.... ???

so why havn't we released this virus? can it affect bopther toads or sumthin?

Viruses aren't considered the 'healthy' option. Viruses can mutate and infect other animals - this is seen with the ikes of bird and swine flu and people (who poorly research the ideas) have the stigma that it can mutate to cross to us.

Bacteria (highly specific) are always on the cards too...

As is releasing an agent that sterilises the males...

The real problem is getting it to be so host specific that it can't infect a frog, a bird, a reptile etc.... It will take a lot of research - and the always promise these miracle cures of the toads... but nothing will eventuate for many years (at least 10 years for a reasonable bio-control agent to be released).

Toads were introduced as a bio-control agent by a very frustrated Gordonvalian farmer... He didn't listen to reason and this is what happens... So imagine releasing a virus or a bacterium with that same limit of frustration - the problem could turn catastrophic....

Also - bare it in mind, toads aren't that much of a pest compared to many other horrible ferals....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back