best way to kill a toad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats best way to kill a cane toad?

• freezer

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • golf club

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • aspro clear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
you heard or the screw worm fly? we should do something like that, breed heaps of cane toads but make em sterile, so they eventually die out, it couldn't affect anything else and seems like a perfectly logical solution

The problem with developing and releasing an artificial biological control is not that it may cross species barriers but that it may (and probably would) cross borders and oceans and affect the species in it's native habitat where, of course, it is an important part of the ecosystem.

you heard or the screw worm fly? we should do something like that, breed heaps of cane toads but make em sterile, so they eventually die out, it couldn't affect anything else and seems like a perfectly logical solution

Screw-worm Fly - DAFF

Yes - very aware... but... how do you make an insect that can do that? You can't.... one will eventually evolve (perhaps) but you can't just make one...

Cactoblastus - the caterpillar is Australia's and one of the world's greatest bio-control agents ever... but unfortunately bio-control has had more blunders than successes... It's a trial and error formation which often ultimately leads to error...

There are many success stories too... but the toad... is not one of them... in fact, the thing it was targeting (sugar cane beetles) are seldom seen in its diet compared to other insects....

ah good point Nagraj, hmm well why don't we...SHOOT EM, get the army reserves to have a little fun, bag n tag em, then the last few that remain can mate with sterile toads we genetically modifyed, so everytime they try to breed they are un sucessfull, or we can just increase the amount of turtles that eat their eggs?

sarcasm mate

Well duh haha...

In reply too...

What I really didn't get though byron is why would you ask for an opinion then ask why i gave one? That is really beyond me... I don't expect you to be able to take it all on board, but if heard, then success is already begun...

Humanely... if you wouldn't do it to another animal of 'higher status' what makes it right to do it to a toad?

As far as I am aware - eggs are also toxic to animals.... they're toxic in every stage of their life (apparently).

We used to leave the back light on , sit at the kitchen window and knock em off with an air rifle . Dusk with light drizzling rain was best . There would be heaps of them hopping toward the light . Qld at the time .

fair enough slim6y i just didnt like the way u had a go at everyone to me thats not an opinion

We used to leave the back light on , sit at the kitchen window and knock em off with an air rifle . Dusk with light drizzling rain was best . There would be heaps of them hopping toward the light . Qld at the time .

That's the **** (stuff) nightmares are made out of mate...

I voted other, shame there was no humane option. The humane methods include holding the back legs and hitting them very hard on a solid surface(similar to killing a rat but much more force), hitting them really hard ong the with a strong stick(dont splash poison in your eye if you are wasted or unco) or if in an areas where guns are safe and legal, shoot them in the brain or top of the spine. Running them over is ok but slow down so you can be sure what it is, be careful not to kill frogs (I once stopped a meter short of a nice big brown GTF) or humans.

AnimalColllector6, Saw Shell turtles are supposed to be able to eat them without harm, although i have read this in many books i have never been able to track down any detail about it. As far as i know they arnt threatened though. Often animals are resistant rather than being completely immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back