My beardy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizardsNturtles

Reaction score
Hey guys I accidently let my beardy brumate this winter and since him coming out of it he hasn't eaten, he normally had those beardy pellets soaked in apple juice with either mealworms or crickets(preferred mealworms as they didn't eat each other by the next week) and I've tried the same for a straight week and he has only eaten once and that was a couple of mealies my mum threw in and somehow he got his attenion as he's not normally interested and she's terrified and by the way the only reason I didn't feed him normal veggies before was because he didn't eat them, and yes I have tried regular veggies.... And getting roaches is a death wish with my mum

Try boc choy leaves dipped in water and shake them in front of him.
All beardies cant resist live woodies.
Good luck

Try putting veggies in shallow disk and put some meal worms in there.

The movemnt may attract your beardie and get it eating again..

Thanks guys I read this on the way to work and got some Bok Chou, and I'll try both tomorrow, so Is there a secret to keeping the mealies in there? As I do put them infront of him and he looks at it and before he goes to eat them they scatter(by the way the only reason why they scatter is cause I don't keep'em it the fridge as I have too many and i like to breed mine fast, so if I did need to slow them how long before feeding them should I prep them for?) and what could be some veggies which he would eat? As I've given him cealry carrot, apple and pear before and he didn't eat it....

Try mango (if you can get it - we freeze it so we have it all year round). I had a beardie not want to eat for a while and the only thing that worked was mango, hasn't looked back since. Best of luck, I hope you get it eating. I have also found that if they don't want to eat it, rub it just under their nose, this means they can smell it, and become familiar with it. Another trick I have used to feed veggies is to wait until they have a mealworm in their mouth and (gently) push a very small piece of vegetable or fruit in their with it. They usually take to it.

If none of that works, try to get in touch with a vet called Bob Donnely. Last I heard he had a practice in Toowoomba. He's brilliant. Hope it doesn't come to that though! Good luck!

Mealworms aren't great for beardies. If he likes them though there is a good chance he will like superworms though which will work as a staple alongside veggies. Pm me if you want the contact details of a good superworms breeder.

mine go nuts for butternut pumpkin and green beans,....a little less so for teh greens like bok and chinese broc, but they finish off every last bit of those directly after picking out the 'good bits'

beardies should be 80-90% vegetarian by the time they stop growing, too much fat and protien is bad for their liver.

be persistant and MAKE him start eating greens/veges!!

strawberry is great for treats too, just watch ur fingers, i almost lost mine last time i hand fed them strawberries,..! ;)

strawberry is great for treats too, just watch ur fingers, i almost lost mine last time i hand fed them strawberries,..! ;)

They cant 'pick' it up with thier mouths very well so was hand feeding them almost got nipped a few times aswell.

haha, i ended up having my finger chewed on about 4 times before i managed to pull it out with minimal blood,...lucky it was my smallest female not my big male! :)

now i cut the bits so theyre as long as possible and offer the 'dry side'

Just a suggestion that's just came into mind - baby food with no sweetener or preservitives can work a treat for animals that have gone off food! Any type of puree is what gets my guys going... it's offered as a treat (with calcium powder) but I've heard can work great for getting your animal back onto food.

And if you're having trouble with the mealworms going everywhere I offer my live-feed (along with everything else) in one of those silver dog food bowls. The bugs can't climb the steep, metallic sides and it's easy to wash and maintain (and prevents your animal from knocking it over!). Don't buy these from the pet-shop however as they can be up to $10 for a small bowl... I get mine from the $2 Shop for about $2 each.

Great to hear the progress and I hope it continues! :)

lizardsNturtles: Post brumation is most likely the cause of the lizard not being into its normal eating pattern. My lizards came out of brumation about 2 months ago and only having the occasional nibble. You should notice a change in the next few weeks ie: the lizard will eat when its ready. But if it deteriorates in condition please see a vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back