Do Snakes Yawn?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermensch

Reaction score
Just got my baby diamond (Dratini) on Wednesday, and staring at her Thursday night, I swear I saw her yawn!
Aside from being the cutest thing ever, I'm wondering if it was a yawn or just a stretch.
Do snakes yawn?

Yep, snakes yawn. Especially if they are bored : )

I'm trying to get things for her so she can be not-bored but the only thing she seems to like doing is escaping! And she hasn't successfully managed that one yet.

In my mind. I have a spring sale on now.

In response to your original question I guess we need to know what a yawn actually is. In Python terms given the flexibility of their jaws I guess she is just getting everything back in place or stretching things in anticipation of you putting some food in there!

She wasn't fed not too long before I got her :/ I was advised to wait until after she has completed her shedding until her first feed.
Yeah, I didn't know if she was just stretching or yawning. It was darn cute though.

Yea my darwin doe's it a bit, but its been a while since he's bit me so he could also be reminding me how big he's teeth are lol

It may be stretching but my snake does it and it is not in correlation to feeding time.
It sure looks like a yawn tho.

P1080591.jpg

And they smile, too :D
P1070915.jpg

P1180826.jpg

Couldn't help myself. I LOVE photos

My Coastal Xena stretches her jaw after a feed :D

Attachments

• Open wide 2.jpg
    Open wide 2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Open wide!.jpg
    Open wide!.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 94
hahah oh its the chick thats mum wouldnt let her get a snakie
then she gave up on the idea
now she had a snake
nice one hahah :D
giid job

yes snakes often yawn looks awsome even better if you have a camera and can get a shot like some people do you wouldnt think so they sleep so much

Yeah. Turns out if you pester yer Mum a couple of times a day for a few weeks and show her a picture of your hatchie she finally lets up :D

tea, mine both streatch after a feed.. but i have also seen them both do it when its not feed time.. is very cute.. i have some photos too.. its the best..

have a look at my profile, i have some photos up of the yawns..

tea, mine both streatch after a feed.. but i have also seen them both do it when its not feed time.. is very cute.. i have some photos too.. its the best..

Yep, when you see the tail going down the hatch its time to get the camera ready. Most if not all will yawn after eating to re-allign their jaws.

Tahlia Xena looks like she has a big mouth. Must be a decent sized coastal there. She's lovely :)

They sure do. Actually one of mine did it this morning. Woke him up to clean out his enclosure and he came out of hiding, had a big yawn then went into the spare enclosure while I cleaned up. Mind you he's very awake now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back