coastal and jungles living together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of people dont provide UV to there snakes, generally it is accepted that they dont need it the same way lizards do. It has been said that uv lighting improves colour. I take my snakes outside during the finer weather. Remember if you use uv lights to put a cage around them also, may not burn your snake but snake can break them.

Edit: yeh but direct sunlight into enclosure will limit your snakes ability to thermoregulate as well as potentially over heating enclosure.

i agree they dont "need" UV but they do seem to enjoy being out in the sun and as i've been told before, even though they are nocturnal they have exposure sometimes during the day, so it certainly wont hurt to let them have an outing in the sun, - i dont run UV lamps, but will take them outside for 5 - 10 minutes and a 'walk' around the garden with me, in sun and dappled shade, i cant bring myself to let them loose on the lawn or in a bush, if they decide to do a runner there is now way i could catch them !

ok so if he's near a window or gets natural light there no light needed correct

I am talking about a photoperiod (day night cycle) if my snake room photoperiod isnt controlled by the natural ambiant light from outside, then i will run my lights on timers and try and replicate the conditions outside.

donks

ah ok i kinda get it know
so if they are like near a window and then you move it to somewhere where there isn't much light you need to replicate it buy using lights
but when its near a window it isn't really need.

so if i get all this
i need a ceramic heater
some fake grass for underlay because i think that would look good lol
and maby a light with a timer

Dont forget a thermostat and a thermometer.

and NO direct sunlight into the enclosure.

thermometer measures air temp,
thermostat regulates the temperature by switching on and off when the air around the sensor reaches the temperature you have set,

:lol: yes they are a drain on the finances when you are setting them up, thankfully the feeding/heating bill is a lot less than your normal dog or cat.

wow from the advice given in this forum i am a very bad keeper

what makes you think that ?

depending on the locale (the specific area that it is native to) it could be an adult of 2metres or 3metres, i hope you have the room for a full grown coastal ! !

well i should
i have almost finished my bigger cage for him so that should do him for a bit
well what do you think
hes about 50cm atm
and the cage is 91cm * 45.5cm * 45.5cm
how long do you think he can live in there for
well what lenght can he be b4 i need a bigger one?

Again opinions vary.
My bredli is 8ft (240cm) and lives on a 90x60cm floor space. The enclosure is almost 120cm tall but for all the logs and branches I have put in there she never used them as an adult, but I never owned her as a hatchy and the previous owner was not big on furnishing the enclosure. She is 6 years old.
That enclosure you have might make it to two years.
I've kept four foot snakes in enclosures abit smaller than that.

Last edited:
Yes but not exactly, when it starts looking to small or you think he needs a bigger one. The whole big space stressing a little snake becomes a bit void as they get older, if it has any merit at all. I also kept a 6 foot bredli in an enclosure about that size, not for a long time but it worked while I did it.

coastals are arboreal so it means they like to be up off the floor, like Daniel1234 has said, some will never use the height, and i think a lot has to do with what they had when young, if they are in a low cage and always fed on the floor and they have no need to go more than a few cms for food then they wont, but nothing beats seeing my 6ft coastal launch from her branch, grab the rat and hang 5ft off the branch while she strangles it,

if your snake can go 1 1/2 time the length or height of the cage, and its not an adult, then i would start planning a bigger one, in the summer they seem to like to stretch out,

wow from the advice given in this forum i am a very bad keeper

Yep, different strokes for different fokes. You will find a contradiction around every comment here.

so what do you gentlemen not agree with, I'm sure pepsi111 would like to hear some additional input ,

mate the best thing you could ever do is get yourself somer good books on Australian pythons (with good sections on carpets preferably) a hell of alot better than any website!

and you will have them whenever you need them for reference.

cheers

donks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back