in the progress of new water monitor tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you have 2 Merten's - are you planning to put them both in there, and if so, for how long? You definitely will need very good filtration even while they're small, but a 4ft tank is way too small for even 1 adult Merten's, let alone 2. And they grow very fast!

Jamie.

a 4ft tank is way too small for even 1 adult Merten's, let alone 2. And they grow very fast!

Jamie.

They do grow fast but still that tank will be great for them for a while yet if u utilize the space! It is great you got that glass free! If you keep your eyes open for more bargain materials like that then by the time your Mertens needs a new enclosure you could have all the stuff to make it! I just set up a pretty snazzy 4 foot tank for my baby Mertens out of and things I already had... Setting up enclosures is fun I am sure you will enjoy making a bigger one when the time comes =)

yeah my metens arnt adults though when they become adults i am making a massive enclosure.
they are only couple months old, so i am pretty sure that is enough room for them a(for now).
i have have two cannister filters for the tank.
and yes daryl h - i was planningon doing that! but when i got the tank back home i remembered that i was going to cut a hole:S
when it dry i might take it back to get a hole:)

i havent bought any yet, when more money comes in i will be buying some.
i have time because i have to wait for the silicon to dry still.

do you have a canister filter jannico? if you do is it good? and what brand and price?

Yer I'm just setting mine up now. Its an aqua nova 1500L/H ebayed it for 150

I'v heard its ok and does the job. Buying different media next week.
So ill tell you then :)
But basically I'm setting it up similar to a turtles needs.
They need the water to completely cycle through 4-5 times (3 times for fish but monitors and turtles produce more waste) so find out how much your going to fill your tank and times it by 4-5 times.

My 6 ft tank has about 200L so it should be good.
But yer we'll see haha

Just looking at this thread again - I didn't mean my post to sound like it did - I commend your enthusiasm and the work you have done branca, and it looks as though you have it all under control.

Jamie

okay got my cannister filter but dont know how to get it going:S
i got the stand made and the tank is dry and is holding water.
still need more time to get artificial rock background & a hood with wire mesh.
and get it all set up with all the features.
i put a pic of one of my mertens and one of my turtles:)

cheers
branca

hope use like it so far!:)20072010.jpg20072010(005).jpg18072010.jpg

Attachments

• 20072010(006).jpg
    20072010(006).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 153
  • 20072010(001).jpg
    20072010(001).jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 106
still waiting on the rock background because they have moved stores and have taken them a while to get everything-.-

also get those sucker fish that i was telling you about it helps:)[/QUOTE said:
josiah, just wondering what kinds of fish are good for cleaning tanks. Personally I worry about fish spikes and spines, even though my Mertens eat yabbies etc.

Hey I have a few small Bristle Nose in mine. Proberly not the best idea, I
ll take them out when they grow larger.

I changed my tank up the last few days.
I took out the artifical ledge and scrapped out the silicone, replaced it all with branches and rocks. Really makes good use of room and lots of hidy places. I thought I lost the little guy a few times but he was just hiding.

I'm thinking of getting a little mertins as well.
How long would they last in a 6ft tank? A year? two or three?

I started my Mertens in a 6x2x2 tank with a 200mm high divider set diagonally. This gave them 1/3 of the tank as a dry area, the rest as water. As they grew, I built an enclosure above the tank and filled the tank with water. Check out Bernd Eidenmuller's mertens enclosures. Im now in the process of planning an indoor/outdoor enclosure for my guys.
Ill check out the Bristle nose. Are catfish any good for helping to clean tanks? Thanks

his book is Monitor Lizards, Natural history, care and breeding. I think Herp shop sell it , well worth a look.
Did you get your Mitchells?

bristlenose catfish are very effective cleaning tanks, they do however develop 'bristles', and tough skin as they get older to deter would be predators. another option could be 'cold water suckers' these are usually quiet cheap and are extremely effective at cleaning tanks (when in with other fish you sometimes have to keep an eye on them as when they run out of algae they can turn on the slime coat of sleeping tankmates) they are nice and soft and will go down a treat if a monitor caught it. and despite what their common name implies they can happily get along in water up to 27 degrees, and can adapt to various water conditions. i have had green tree frogs eat them and they arent as tough as a monitor.
also bernd eidenmulers book is a must for keeping monitors in my opinion, great book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back