24/7 heat or 12 hr heat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who heats there pythons 24/7 or heat off at night?

• 24/7 heat

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • heat off at night

Votes: 27 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep a tile under my basking spot as it retains heat and we know that animals in the wild will bask on warm surfaces at night. How many people have no form of heat retention for their animals to lay on at night?

This is turning out to be a very interesting thread guys. One of my reason i had decided to ask this question was a family member asked me if i heat my snakes 24/7? and i said yes and also i repiled back not for much longer tho, because they dont get night heating in the wild. My family member repiled back to me saying that it would be different in the wild, because snakes/pythons would burrow them selfs under the ground until they find a warm spot.

I thought that was very interesting because in a way it would be true. example - have u ever put ur hand in a pile of mulch at night?? it is very warm even in the middle of winter... because during the day it soaks up all the heat. Also down at creeks have you noticed how many snake holes there are around??

morelia666 thats not true about the mulch. the opposite infact, de-comp causes the heat build up. thats a reason why you will naturally find reptiles within such places. and snake holes definately not, more then likely EWD holes.

Snowman hit the nail on the head, heat retention!! i use sandstone under my light.

only the young and inferior should be kept in 24/7 heat. otherwise there should be no reason.

another thing dont use heat pads because reptiles try to hide when hot. so if they cant burrow/hide they will stress.

interesting thought but you will find that pythons generally dont sleep in piles of mulch and down holes at the creek . its more hollow logs, in between boulders, sheds,fallen trees where they spend their time snoozing. its true that they will curl up and hold in their warmth but it is mighty cold around them.cool them at night if you want to keep them healthy.
cheers
simon

Last edited:
i've had a neighbour dig up a clutch of fertile eggs along with a very angry mother coastal within a green compost site.

another thing dont use heat pads because reptiles try to hide when hot. so if they cant burrow/hide they will stress.
but even if u didnt have a heat pad , and a snake tryed to burrow/hide wouldnt it still get stressed?
isnt that the reason no matter if its a click clack or an enclosure there should be atleast 2 hides [ one hot area and other in cool area ?]

reptiles retreat from heat when they no longer require it gernerally to hide in any shape or form. so since 99.9999999% of people have floor positioned hides a heat pad would ruin their chances to escape.

so colin and a few other people that have used his idea of suspended hides make up that 0.0000001%

reptiles retreat from heat when they no longer require it gernerally to hide in any shape or form. so since 99.9999999% of people have floor positioned hides a heat pad would ruin their chances to escape.
that would be true if the entire floor was heated , but 99.9999999% of pepole dont heat the entire floor .

I have my heat on 24/7, if I was to change my older pythons to 12 hour heating would I introduce slowly eg lengthing the time the heat is off bit by bit until it reached 12 hours off? What age would you keep your younger pythons on 24/7 heat before swapping to 12 hour heat? Also does everyone just use a simple timer to turn heat on and off?
Cheer in advance for the info :)

A simple Arlec timer from Kmart would do the job.
Altho you can get digital ones from bunnings for cheaper I think.

What about after a feed? is 12 hour heat a day enough to help the snakes digest their food? or do you keep it on for 24 hours for say around 3 days or so?

snakelove yes. in the wild digesting snakes dont use24/7 heating, yet still somehow manage to cope.
S- word- you did only manage to come up with one name.

A simple Arlec timer from Kmart would do the job.
Altho you can get digital ones from bunnings for cheaper I think.
yeah i run the digital type from bunnings .
Snakelove ,
i feed my snakes at 11am[ or there abouts] so they have a good few hours [ heat turns off at 8pm] to start digesting there food , and heat comes turns back on at 6am .

snakelove yes. in the wild digesting snakes dont use24/7 heating, yet still somehow manage to cope.

ahhh yeah I guess so. I should start doing that. So what's your routine? 12hours on and 12hours all year? or is it different for winter and summer?

sorry if I'm hijacking the thread btw, I thought it'd be useful info too.

yeah i run the digital type from bunnings .
Snakelove ,
i feed my snakes at 11am[ or there abouts] so they have a good few hours [ heat turns off at 8pm] to start digesting there food , and heat comes turns back on at 6am .

So you've got a 14hours on and 10hours off routine, what do you do for the different seasons? I've read mike swans book but it only shows diamond's heating times not for other snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back