The 2010 Australian Herpetological Symposium, Cairns, Oct 1, 2, & 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very excited about attending even if it's to carry peoples bags or shine their shoes. I will be a volunteer at the event.

I'll be wearing thongs, the only bags will be those under my eyes but you can poor me a glass of wine at the dinner - you'll be a champion. :D

I'll be wearing thongs, the only bags will be those under my eyes but you can poor me a glass of wine at the dinner - you'll be a champion. :D

Hehehe! Mummabear we better start practicing that wine pooring at your place before before the event so we dont dissapoint M.

Lucky i was a barmaid in my younger years. Wine it is.

over 500 entries in our photo competition, we'll have the shortlisted ones in the gallery over the week-end.

good luck to all who have entered.

our photo competition has now closed, and thanks for the rush at the end to keep us up all night!

all we can say is..........whoa hot damn!

Australian Herpetological Symposium

we selected the final cut from well over 1000 entries, and we regret that we could not include more. nonetheless, our short-list ain't that short!

we received entries from Australia, Canada, United States, United Kingdom and several European countries.

the winning image will be selected from those short-listed entries by our judge, world renowned wildlife photographer, David Northcott.

all credits will be added after the judging process.

we have selected entries from many different styles, wildlife, captive, studio....some with great depth etc

good luck to those which have progressed in the competition, and thanks to all who entered.

Last edited:
I reckon there is a direct conflict of interest and as such I want my pics removed from the competition and not to be used for any purposes by the organisers or sponsers.

Other short listed photographers feel the same way and have mentioned they will be contacting you about this.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott, could you please elaborate on the conflict of interest?

That's a shame. This is a world class array of images. These are as good as, maybe better than any I've seen in expensive coffee table books. Certainly well beyond anything I'm capable of snapping myself.

Bushman,

Well I think that if people whom are speaking at, delegates for or other effective employees of the company running this symposium I feel that its a conflict of interest. I have spoken with Neil this afternoon and he does not see it that way, however I do.

If you look at the way competitions are run by other companies, most if not all have a stipulation that family members or employees are prohibited from entering on these grounds.

Mind you I would like to make it clear that I do not have an issue with the photographers in question (they have acted within the guidelines).

Cheers,
Scott

Mind you I would like to make it clear that I do not have an issue with the photographers in question (they have acted within the guidelines).

So what's the problem?

J.

would you be happy if you entered a competition with a radio station and the DJ ended up the winner?

I thought it was fairly clear Jamie.....

I do see your point Scott, but I guess your post here looked a bit petulant at first glance, because it didn't indicate what the problem was. I haven't seen the rules because I don't enter these things (or any competitions for that matter), so I really shot my mouth off before I fully understood the issue (unusual for me lol!).

Jamie.

If you look at the way competitions are run by other companies, most if not all have a stipulation that family members or employees are prohibited from entering on these grounds.

i can absolutely assure you that no employee or family member has entered the competition.

from speaking with some disgruntled entrants i am surprised that there is a sense that Shannon Plummer and Michael Cermak are employees of the company. this is not true.

before we go further, i should also make clear that Steve Bullock has been contracted by us to photograph at the event.

it is our intention at all times to take herpetology/herpetoculture in a certain direction, not all agree with. the photo competition is a medium which we are using to promote this year's and subsequent years' event. the idea is to gain interest from overseas, and to give australians an avenue to showcase their works.

by any measure, the three people mentioned are amongst this country's best herp photographers, and as a company which is happy to showcase talent for the promotion of the hobby/industry, we are happy to utilise their photos in the manner in which they have been entered into the competition, and we would never deny them or any other photographer the opportunity to showcase their works.

it is a shame that some entrants have contacted us to withdraw their entries because of the ideology that there is a sham in play that they want no part of. we have engaged a highly respected wildlife photographer to be the judge. we like many others consider him to be the best in the world, and it would be a disgrace to suggest that he was part of a sham competition.

our company offers no apology for accepting any of the entries that we received, and are indeed delighted to have received all of the entries ( over 1000 ). we hope that everyone that has been afforded the opportunity to showcase their works gains some benefit from it.

we intend running the competition each year, and as stated, will not deny any photographer the opportunity to showcase their works. the judge each year, will have full and unfettered powers to pick the winner.

in concluding, everyone must agree that the short-listed entries are absolutely amazing and every one deserves recognition.

good luck to all the entrants.

What am I missing here? All I can see are a host of really flash photos. I guess it's a "short list" but there hardly seems anything short about it. I haven't seen anything that gives me any clues as to who is going to win? Seems to me to be a lot of fuss going on based on speculation. but maybe I'm not seeing the big picture?

i can absolutely assure you that no employee or family member has entered the competition.

from speaking with some disgruntled entrants i am surprised that there is a sense that Shannon Plummer and Michael Cermak are employees of the company. this is not true.

before we go further, i should also make clear that Steve Bullock has been contracted by us to photograph at the event.

it is our intention at all times to take herpetology/herpetoculture in a certain direction, not all agree with. the photo competition is a medium which we are using to promote this year's and subsequent years' event. the idea is to gain interest from overseas, and to give australians an avenue to showcase their works.

by any measure, the three people mentioned are amongst this country's best herp photographers, and as a company which is happy to showcase talent for the promotion of the hobby/industry, we are happy to utilise their photos in the manner in which they have been entered into the competition, and we would never deny them or any other photographer the opportunity to showcase their works.

it is a shame that some entrants have contacted us to withdraw their entries because of the ideology that there is a sham in play that they want no part of. we have engaged a highly respected wildlife photographer to be the judge. we like many others consider him to be the best in the world, and it would be a disgrace to suggest that he was part of a sham competition.

our company offers no apology for accepting any of the entries that we received, and are indeed delighted to have received all of the entries ( over 1000 ). we hope that everyone that has been afforded the opportunity to showcase their works gains some benefit from it.

we intend running the competition each year, and as stated, will not deny any photographer the opportunity to showcase their works. the judge each year, will have full and unfettered powers to pick the winner.

in concluding, everyone must agree that the short-listed entries are absolutely amazing and every one deserves recognition.

good luck to all the entrants.

Personally, I think the competition and everything you guys have done is great! You're giving people a chance to show what they can do, and as you said, attracting attention from worldwide. I most certainly would not consider this to be a sham competition, and I think you've done everything fairly! As you've stated, Shannon and Michael don't work for the company, so I don't really understand what the problem is, either?

Anyway I know I'm just an insignificant bystander, but those are just my thoughts and opinions :) Thanks for putting the time and effort into the event and photo comp! I really wish I could go, it'd be great to learn from those speakers! I'm really interested in becoming a herp vet (4th year vet student at the moment) and this would have been bloody brilliant to go to! Ahh, who knows, theres always next year!

"it is our intention at all times to take herpetology/herpetoculture in a certain direction, not all agree with."

I would love to attend something like this, though i don't understand that statement.
Good luck hope it goes well, maybe i could look into it more and go next time. Never been to Cairns..

I have no idea why some people would withdraw their photos.

What a shame that people would feel that way.....it seems that you just can't satisfy everyone !!

Staging an annual Symposium is a fantastic way to learn and mix with people who have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Just my two cents. :)

Scott, et al. who think I am an employee of the AHS company or have any association with it: for the record, I am not anyone's employee, I am not on the organising committee, nor I am involved in the actual organising of the vent in any official capacity. I am one of several delegates giving a talk at the symposium - THAT IS ALL.

Shame on you Scott for stirring the dust without knowing the facts.

Michael Cermak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back