Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, well I guess the majority is correct then! :S I gained no enlightenment though, I already knew that. :( Guess it's back to the monastery for me.

Rin, Slimy :)

I think pandemics are large (geographically) epidemics.

So would it be right to say GTPs are native to Australia and endemic to Far North QLD

No because they occur elsewhere. Roughies are endemic to the Kimberly, Oenpelli pythons are endemic to Ahnem Land, kangaroos are endemic to Australia Etc, they are all native to Australia

Pandemic relates to disease but is still an epidemic whilst a plague of locust (not carrying disease) can still be classed as an epidemic. The plague of locusts reached epidemic proportions.

So majority rules (regardless if it is correct or not) - and Melissa's suggestion must be correct....

What about pronunciation....

For example I say mandarin (for the small orange fruits) but my GF says mandarin.... (pronounced mandareen)... I end mine with rin... that's how it's spelt and sounds... surely....

Who is correct???

Is it mandarin with a rin or mandareen?

i always pronounced them "mandareen" only because there is a language mandarin and its easier to distinguish between the two. people know exaclty what you are talking about when you say "mandareen" although i do think its properly pronounced "manda-rin". IMO its "cass-tle" vs "car-stle" argument, so long as people understand what your saying perfectly well with no confusion, who cares?

haha which brings to mind my cousin (23 year old who prides himself on his vast knowledge of the english language) who plays a lot of video games and one in particular, one of the new online shoot em ups has a function when you die, that you blow up and kill anyone standing next to you. this function is called martyrdom (for obvious reasons). even though he has been corrected a million times by myself and others, he still refers to it as matreedome... ?
it took me hours to figure out what the hell he was on about.

Macropods including kangaroos are native to parts of Asia too.

Which kangaroos. I think they are native to Australia but belong to the Macropod family which contains species outside of Australia. The word kangaroo itself is derived from an Aboriginal language

Which kangaroos. I think they are native to Australia but belong to the Macropod family which contains species outside of Australia. The word kangaroo itself is derived from an Aboriginal language

I was thinking specifically of tree kangaroos, but other macropods like agile wallabies are native to parts of asia too.

polar bear

now i know its only nautrally found in the northern hemisphere, but not everywhere in the northern hemishpere. not even most of the northern hemisphere. so would that fall into the definition of endemic to the northern hemisphere? or just the arctic circle? (although i am sure they definately could live outside the arcticle circle also.. im not really into polar bears)
another exampe, lets look at something a little closer to home like the RSP which is endemic to the kimberlies, would you then be able to say that it is endemic to australia? because it is not present naturally throughout most of australia would it then just be an australian native, which is endemic to the kimberlies?
this is the main point of confusion for me with the difference between endemic and native. i always thought that endemic was very specific.

It is fine and correct to say that RSPs are endemic to Australia.

I had never even heard of a tree kangaroo. I think your being picky, LOL. Kangaroos as most relate to them are native to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back