Something thats bugging me

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who researches solutions to problems and questions for a living there are are number of reasons that people ask questions;

1) It is being asked from a genuine naive basis.
2) Knowledge which has been gained by someone with experience is unknown to the inexperienced and a preventative solution ahead of time is not considered.
3) The person is inexperienced in running searches and does not run the search in a way that finds the available information.
4) The results of the search are contradictory and the correct solution unclear.

If you are aware of a thread or other information which can assist someone, post it rather than reacting to the question. This way all reading the new thread can benefit from the links back to prior knowledge.

While the the location and use of the search function and Wiki appear obvious to people experienced with this site it may not be so obvious to the Newbie or people not experienced with running searches.

I know I have asked questions on this and other sites due to 4).

I studyed and studyed and studyed to get a beardie.most of my threads are about there diet, coz the site i used to study said lettuce and stuff which was bad,so i asked you guys and i didn't get flamed,and asking question just expands their knowledge(like mine).so flaming people just is wrong, they may have not known.

im a fair newbie to reptiles ive only had my snake bout 2 months now, i did alot of research before buying my MD but ive gotten more info off peoples answers on here than anywhere else :) ive only had one flaming from someone which was annoying but everyone else has been awesome in helping :D

It's also anoying though when you give someone asking for help correct advice and they dont listen at all or hope something different because they arnt happy with the truth to there question

i've copped "...from looking at your previous threads, you clearly have no idea on how to look after your animals. please don't get anymore until you can take care of the ones you already have..."

this was in response to asking for some advice on a hatchy that was refusing to eat and was getting dangerously skinny. i'd done my research (books and internet) and acted on what i had found, but nothing had worked. so i thought i was doing the right thing in asking for advice on here from more experienced keepers seeing as the breeder i got him from was absolutely no help.

some people were really good and offered suggestions, but i got really upset by the rudeness of others people. i don't take the responsibillity of looking after my animals lightly and was genuinely out of ideas and was getting really worried about my baby boy.

the fact that i had started 3 threads out of curiosity, and not actually asking for help, before this one clearly means that i am mistreating my reptiles and that i should have them taken off me.

i was highly offended and it made me want to leave the forum. some people need to get off the pedestals they put themselves on and realise that they had to start somewhere too.

I always use the search function before I post something, on the rare occasion the results are close to what I want to know, the question asked is still different to the way I want to ask it. Did that make sense?

You ask the same question that has been asked a million times because you want an answer to your question, not that other guys.

Just my two cents

And slim6y is always correct :p

Asking QUESTIONS like I'M thinking of getting a such n such ,can anyone give me some good care sheet facts about keeping them etc? ..is fine and a good thing to ask because you are getting the info before you go out n buy ...I dont agree with, I bought a such n such and now how do I take care of it ? This type of question/s does make the average rep keeper MAD ....
and I have no problem with people giving opinions that have worked for them because they either own that such n such or close enough to that species..
BUT when you have never had that species and or never had that type of situation and are only recycling what others have said and adding more obvious ' BS' to the post that could well in truely end up detrimental to the care of that rep or just to exercise your typing skills and dictionary/thesaurus useage DRIVES me insane as well ...

BUT when you have never had that species and or never had that type of situation and are only recycling what others have said and adding more obvious ' BS' to the post that could well in truely end up detrimental to the care of that rep or just to exercise your typing skills and dictionary/thesaurus useage DRIVES me insane as well ...

Or, just to get your name in print/boost your post count.....

the problem with doing a search is you also get alot of threds that you don't want
example i just did a search for incubators and the first page of results is 20 threads
here are all the threds as they were shown in the list

Microclimate Failures

breeding loan mix up.

no thermostat setups

help!! bearded dragon egg care

Where to buy hovabator incubators in Sydney?

[VIC] Herpstat ND, the best thermostat by far!

first season for us and its a big clutch

incubator confusion...

sticky.gif
Sticky: Gtp - Essential Info

Creative Incubators

Herpstat ND, the ultimate in reptile thermostats!

To: Kayz09

Incubator recommendations

Show us your Incubator setups!!

quick question on incubation

To: herptrader

Breeding Projects

Incubation

[VIC] FS: Lucky Reptile Data/thermo logger

Rock Python

so just how effective is it to do a search really

its ^^^^^ effective , look at all the info ;) im not saying searching isnt fool proof . but there is a tone of info > then once u get the list go throught the ones that say incubator first :) ;)

there is 6 out of 20 that relate to incubators, 30% so that meens there is 70% of stuff i didn't want
so it is just quicker to ask the question again

I agree with you Ben. Unfortunately, people today tend to see the wonders of the www as the be all and end all, expect direct and instant information, as opposed to doing the hard yards themselves.
Not only is much real learning, 'lost in translation' in this manner, I consider it the least
satisfying and most frustrating way to find information.
Ask 10 different people a question and you'll get 50 different answers.
You may aswell survey strangers on the street.
The best way to learn something has always been, and imo, always will be, first hand.
This is something I'm sure many 'experts' here have discovered for themselves.
Personally I would never recommend any site to anyone looking for helpful information.
If you want to research beardys, speak directly to beardy breeder, likewise anything else.
You dont go to a hairdresser for financial advice!

I think it's unfortunate newbi's are flamed as great as google and books are, getting info from people that actually keep the species you're asking about I think is invaluable.

It's also anoying though when you give someone asking for help correct advice and they dont listen at all or hope something different because they arnt happy with the truth to there question

I understand where you're coming from scorps but I think it's great when a poster asks/challenges the answers given... ( lets not forget we all do things differently so conflicting answers are often given, so questioning these are great to have a better understanding) but if they're being dingus's and obviously stuffing up - go to town : p

I think an easy Dix would be a breeders register section and the valuable member post what reptiles they are experienced in and have the admin verify the knowledge of these people in the register and get other people to rate those members as usfull or not useful information

Hi Guys,

It's good to see such a worthwhile thread started....and I'm strongly of the opinion that no-one should ever get flamed, as all this leads to is open warfare and then people get ticked off/switch off to good advice/stop using a forum which is theirs as much as anyone elses/send angry pm's/etc.....and after all, why have any of us got the right to flame anyone ??

Rather than just having a good whinge about this situation, why don't we all take it upon ourselves to improve the forum. The great value that the "stickies" have should be reinforced by more people being prepared to research the information and put together new "stickies" or wherever else the information can be gathered to minimise searching/time wasting/etc.

Are there any other good ideas out there to improve the forum that we can put back to the administrators ?

Another area that I have a pet peeve about is people being prejudiced against others because they have "less posts than me", or "they are too young to have the experience", or "because they are female or male they know less than someone else".....hey give it a miss and respect everyone else equally, (besides it's part of the rules on this site).

I can't totally agree on a comment about some peoples ideas/experiences being the only valuable ones, mainly because there are so many different ways to "skin a cat", (please don't take offence if you are a cat lover....each to their own), and hence we all have to sift information and apply what best suits our own situation.

I hope I don't get flamed too badly by some of my comments....BUT I'm sure I will as some peole can't hold back and see others opinions as worthless.

there is 6 out of 20 that relate to incubators, 30% so that meens there is 70% of stuff i didn't want
so it is just quicker to ask the question again
i dont think u get it , because u asking the question again will only add to the issue u seem to have with searching[ the so called 70 % of stuff u didnt want ] .

My second, and last comment (maybe), "How do we get the experienced people on this site to develop and contribute to the topics in the Wiki?" I have just looked at "Mites" and there is no information there yet I know the information exists here if I do a search of the posts!

Why isn't there a "frequently asked questions section?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back