Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inkgirl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with feeding my spotted Python Herman. The breeder I got him from fed all his snakes live mice/rats (he alsso bred those) so from when I first got him he was used to live prey. I have been unable to wean him off live mice onto frozen. I always thawed them out over a container of hot water so that they warm up. I tried a piece of string on tail to move it round, After several unsuccessful atteempts I tried rubbing the scent of a dead gecko onto the mouse then placing it in tank. I've tried scents from other lizards & bugs etc but he blatantly refuses to eat them. He actually slides over the top of them to the end of the tank & just stares at me...cheeky bugger! Alas, I have had to feed him live mice & have come across problems as most pet shops will not sell live mice if they suspect they're used for food. So I can't go into the same pet shop more than once & have to drive all over North Brizzy to get them. Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas on how I could get him to eat frozen?

be reallllly careful buying live mice from pet stores that are selling them as pets. it may be detrimental to their health as i've been told by pet store owners their mice are sprayed with chemicals to help with dettering lice etc, an in turn can kill ur snake. does your snake show any interest at all in the thawed? try leaving it without food for 2 or 3 weeks then braining the mouse and tapping the snake on the head and/or body to try and trigger a feeding response.

I've tried braining, also tried cutting the belly open a little, just to let a smell out. He shows absolutely no interest. I've put him directly in front of the mouse, moved the mouse around in front of him. He just is not interested. I'm just at a loss now of what to do!!!

After going to the breeders house & getting Herman. The smell, or should I say the *****ing stench of the mice downstairs was too much. I couldn't handle breeding my own. Plus he only eats 2 every 10 days. Yes I got my husband to help out with a fresh kill attempt. That was no good either. I'm thinking it must be the whole thing of catching his food??? Maybe??

After going to the breeders house & getting Herman. The smell, or should I say the *****ing stench of the mice downstairs was too much. I couldn't handle breeding my own. Plus he only eats 2 every 10 days. Yes I got my husband to help out with a fresh kill attempt. That was no good either. I'm thinking it must be the whole thing of catching his food??? Maybe??
if keeped clean the mice dont really smell all that bad , by the sounds of it your running out of options .
is there a local rodent breeder that u could get a mouse from every 10 days ?

sounds like you got your snake of a dodgy breeder, feeding live rodents is illegal and risks the life of your snake. With some patience you should be able to wean him onto thawed rodents, just keep at it, leave it in over night, scent with chickens or lizards, make sure the prey item is warm when offered. You will get it eventually but please try to steer away from live food

are you thawing the same type of mice as what your offering live? id say leave her a good 2-3 weeks without feeding...it probably has an idea it will be offered a live mouse soon enough

How old is he? I wouldn't feed live, when your spotted is hungry enough he will eat thawed rodents. Don't rub bugs on your mice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back