The 2010 Australian Herpetological Symposium, Cairns, Oct 1, 2, & 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope all goes well this weekend at the Symposium, and that everything flows along nicely and according to plan for all the hard working organisers.
All you lucky buggers who are attending - enjoy the weekend.

I am looking forward to hearing all about it here on APS, and in 'Scales & Tails Australia' magazine.

I think holding a Symposium such as this can only be a good thing for the hobby, and I applaud the organising committee for bringing what was a massive undertaking to reality.

The guest speakers are all here, refreshed and charged up after spending some time at Iron Range, having good time. It was a great trip, a great bunch of people.

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone over the weekend. I'm sure it will be fabulous.
Cheers
Joy

thankyou everyone for your support, for those who could not attend this year, please wait for a huge announcement after this week-end about next year's event. it will be bigger and hopefully more accessible to the many who were unable to attend this year. a symposium dvd will be available from mid-december, order details will be on our web-site and in S&T.

another huge photo contest will be up and running from early next year, so get your images ready and check out S&T for details of this year's winner.

again, thankyou for your support.

WOW attened today and listed to some amazing and informitive talks from guest speakers, great venue and fantasic group of helpful and knowlegdeable (spelling sry) people. With them already starting to talk about next year being in Sydney and alot of the speakers talking about returning to do it all again I cant wait till tomorrow to hear more wonderful stories and some more amazing ideas on possiblites of where Australian Herpetoculture could progress to in the future. If you missed this year, wait to see what they are planning on doing next year......

Aww, not Sydney! The herps are all up here, in FNQ!! haha :)

I was just coming to post here asking how today went, from the sound of it, its as good as I expected!

I'm also looking forward to hearing which photo David selected/selects as his favourite! I certainly don't envy his decision though :)

Hi there all,

I am sure that some if not all of you have seen that we had the first Australian Herpetoculture Symposium here in Cairns over the weekend. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this year and I have to say the quality of speakers was outstanding. However the one thing that was missing from all the talks was someone from the Gecko field to talk about techniques we use here in Australia even if at only a hobby level.

So what I wanted to do was to put it to you all that firstly if you get a chance to attend next year in Sydney (it’s expected to be held at Taronga Zoo) go along. The wealth of knowledge in that room over this weekend was outstanding and most if not all the speakers both from here and in the US will be returning next year. Second I would love to see someone with an interest in moving the Gecko industry here in Australia give a talk and share their experiences not only with the wider herp community but also with the keepers over in the US. The relationships I have built over the last 3 days will be not only be invaluable to my herping future but will stay with me to pass onto others as it was passed onto me.

It was also a great avenue to be able to see where Australia is heading in the future in this industry and a chance to learn from America's mistakes. The speakers were honest and open about the mistakes they had made and the results of that. Which you rarely hear about but really need to have an understanding of if we expect Herpetoculture to keep moving forward in Australia in the leaps and bounds it has over the last 20 odd years.

It was a great weekend! Met some childhood idols! The amount of knowledge was unreal and the presentations were worldclas! Congratulations to the organisers for arranging such a wonderful event.

Hi there all,

I am sure that some if not all of you have seen that we had the first Australian Herpetoculture Symposium here in Cairns over the weekend. I was lucky enough to be able to attend this year and I have to say the quality of speakers was outstanding. However the one thing that was missing from all the talks was someone from the Gecko field to talk about techniques we use here in Australia even if at only a hobby level.
QUOTE]

Well why didn't someone get invited? I'd happily have attended with all expenses paid!

Might be an attitude thing?

Yes I agree. Lizards, and geckos in particular tend to play second fiddle to other herps, snakes in particular. Geckos tend to be cheaper and not draw so much attention compared with herps such as snake morphs. They also tend to attract more female keepers. Perhaps snakes are seen as more macho?

It's a pity as Australia has a wonderful array of geckos and some excellent gecko keepers -Danny Brown, and Rob Porter to name just two. Perhaps they could be considered for the next symposium?

B

Perhaps there's an opportunity for you to provide the venture capital to make the next event a truly enthralling spectacle?
Me, I don't have those resources,so I just stand up and salute those that put their money where their mouth is. The old saying goes " Money talks and BS walks!"
it was a Fantastic event and I'll be back.
Well done to the organizers !

who won the photo comp?

Not me or Shannon and we are both very glad it went that way - don't need to say any more ......... (cheers Scott Eiper).

The symposium was fantastic and no doubt next year's will be be bigger and better. As far as I know, the herp community will be invited to submit papers and the best (number of papers covering all aspects of herpetology) will be selected for presentations. So, get you pen to paper, the time flies.

so scott eiper won? sorry I dont understand.

Glad everyone enjoyed the symposium! roughly how much would the DVD cost? I'm just wondering whether it would be helpful for future career in vet science, with an interest in reptiles?

Last edited:
Glad everyone enjoyed the symposium! roughly how much would the DVD cost? I'm just wondering whether it would be helpful for future career in vet science, with an interest in reptiles?

Kitah,
From the volume of material recorded in High Definition, I seriously doubt that all the topics/speakers could be loaded to one DVD. I understand that the intention is to give people the option to sample each topic on links to Youtube for example and then nominate which and how many speakers'presentations they would like. Volumes on a topic: Eg GTPs might include Michael Cermack's and Rico Walder's brilliant talks and Veterinary Science would be the two very comprehensive offerings from Dr Mark Simpson. The list goes on. With the sheer volume of quality material might lend itself to larger topics being offered on DVDs and or USB sticks compatible with current large screen TVs. I understand that the organisers will be able to firm up on pricing once the professional editing is complete.

On a personal level, I'd have to say that there won't be too much material I won't want in my library to re-digest again and again. There certainly was too much for this old bloke to rely on his memory for.

Rico Bloody Walder and Michael Cermack certainly threw my plans out the window after their wonderful presentations. I was quite happy to go to my grave never owning a GTP but those buggers brought me unstuck. Another must have damn it.

Watch this space for further updates from the organisers but please be patient as there's a lot for the camera guy and them to process.

The Rico Walder quip is tongue in cheek. Nice bloke and a Tennesseean who drinks Rum: My kinda guy! In fact the whole Yank contingent were first class blokes and I really look forward to catching up with them again next year same time in Taronga.

Kitah,
From the volume of material recorded in High Definition, I seriously doubt that all the topics/speakers could be loaded to one DVD. I understand that the intention is to give people the option to sample each topic on links to Youtube for example and then nominate which and how many speakers'presentations they would like. Volumes on a topic: Eg GTPs might include Michael Cermack's and Rico Walder's brilliant talks and Veterinary Science would be the two very comprehensive offerings from Dr Mark Simpson. The list goes on. With the sheer volume of quality material might lend itself to larger topics being offered on DVDs and or USB sticks compatible with current large screen TVs. I understand that the organisers will be able to firm up on pricing once the professional editing is complete.

On a personal level, I'd have to say that there won't be too much material I won't want in my library to re-digest again and again. There certainly was too much for this old bloke to rely on his memory for.

Rico Bloody Walder and Michael Cermack certainly threw my plans out the window after their wonderful presentations. I was quite happy to go to my grave never owning a GTP but those buggers brought me unstuck. Another must have damn it.

Watch this space for further updates from the organisers but please be patient as there's a lot for the camera guy and them to process.

The Rico Walder quip is tongue in cheek. Nice bloke and a Tennesseean who drinks Rum: My kinda guy! In fact the whole Yank contingent were first class blokes and I really look forward to catching up with them again next year same time in Taronga.

I hadn't thought about the sheer size of the recorded material... That could be interesting! And I understand that there's a lot to be processed, I was meerly curious at this stage, if they had any vague idea :)

In fact the whole Yank contingent were first class blokes and I really look forward to catching up with them again next year same time in Taronga.

Couldn't agree any more. You should have been with us at Iron Range Jeff, the unedited talks, some Chivas, seafood at Portland Roads cafe and lots and lots of herping was just fantastic. Now I have to process the 160 images and write an article for Scales & Tails .... head down, a.. up!

It was a great weekend, and I was only there for a couple of days, next year will be bigger and better and Im looking forward to it again. Presentations were brilliant and was great to have a drink (till 3am) with some of the internationals.

As for the DVD, it would be unfair for those who paid to be there to then buy a cheap DVD of all the presentations and gala dinner awards. So if they release it, don't expect it to be cheap, with good reason as far as Im concerned.

Next year there will be 3 days of speakers I believe so even MORE reason to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back