[SYDNEY] Aust Herp Society (AHS) Meeting - 27/10/10

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Gday all, after the great feedback from last month's meeting, the "two for one" special is coming back for next month :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Australian Herpetological Society Presents,

Wednesday the 27/10/10 we will have 2 speakers from University of Western Sydney.
Dr Brad Purcell will be talking on "Dingo's and Wild Dogs in the Blue Mountains. Brad recently completed his PHD on this topic and i'm sure you will find his results intriguing. His efforts have culminated into the production of the CSIRO published book titled "Dingo" (linked below). If you have a copy you would like signed or would like to purchase a copy we may have some available on the night for around $40.

Our second speaker will be Dr Jason Flesch on "GPS tracking of Lace Monitors". This study was initiated after it was observed that Lace Monitors were often present at the sites of dingo kills, cleaning up the leftovers (witnessed during Dr Purcell's studies). Researchers from the University have been studying the overall predator/prey relationships within the Blue Mountains National Park around the Warragamba catchment area.
This will present some of the final results of this 3year study using "state of the art" GPS trackers to investigate the movement of large male monitors.
Hope to see you all there it should be a fantastic night.

Cheers Michael Duncan
AHS President

Dingo, Brad Purcell, 9780643096936

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the usual details:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Free entry for first-timers. $5 every visit after that, or membership to the AHS starts at $25 for a year. You can download an application form here
http://www.ahs.org.au/uploads/Membership_application.pdf
It's a small investment to help support the reptile community in Sydney.
And members gain free entry into the Australian Reptile Park out at Somersby
Australian Reptile Park Official Site

Come for a friendly chat with fellow herpetologists, a warm cuppa + biscuit, and enjoy an always fascinating talk :)

The meeting is held at the Australian Museum, opposite Hyde Park in Sydney.
You can get off Museum station, and simply cross the park. But it's also easy enough to walk from Townhall station, whatever's easiest.
Enter via these stairs (LINKY) on William St. Just ask the security to point you towards the AHS meeting location. Doors open at 7pm.
IMPORTANT:
Ask the security guard at the front door to point you to the meeting location, say you're with the herpetological society. If you're a tad too early he may ask you to wait in the foyer. If that's the case, wander down the road to the pub just down William St (see below) and you *will* find myself there ;)

WooHoo!

More info:
http://www.ahs.org.au/meetings.php
http://www.ahs.org.au/calendar.php

Oh and since the William St pub was closed for two months we have found our second home further down the road. The service, atmosphere, and drink prices are much more welcoming at The Strand:
Google Street View
On the corner of William and Crown streets.

Yeah I enjoyed the 2x talks last month too.
So if we had a roughie to handle last month, does this mean we'll have a dingo to play with this month?

There was a lacey at last month's, mind you it was a wee tacker of a thing.
Looked like it didn't want to go back in the bag.

Perhaps we need a bigger lacey this month. And a bigger bag.

I cant make it this month...:(...should be a really interesting night.... (but Miami is warmer...:)
Thanks Michael for the roughie talk last month....

see you in November...

Kelly

Sounds like its going to be a good one. I will be there, looking foreward to it.

Looking forward to the double header. Missed last month because I was on school camp (not too bad - lots of snorkelling and hanging around beaches). See everyone there!

OMG! It's only two months till Christmas! That means that there's only tonight and next month's talks left before the annual xmas BBQ. Now's a good time to renew your membership if you haven't. Remember, you'll need your AHS membership card to get your free entry to the Australian Reptile Park.
I hear that the Paypal feature is now working on the ahs.org.au website, so it's very simple to renew, or join.

Probably won't be there - I have a migraine that is going feral. I'm not fit to drive if I take the drugs and not fit to drive if I don't (can't see and think properly). AARGH! I really wanted to hear this one!

I'm not sure about the new pub we go to, it never closes!!! and now I get home at 3 am on a weeknight!! the drunks I drove home insisted on looking for Cane Toads on the way home so that gave me 3.5 hours sleep before work.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back