Rescued blind beardie progress

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swaddo

Reaction score
Long time since i posted on here but I thought people be interested in seeing this.

At the start of September I was handed a wild female eastern beardie which had both eyes complete closed over.

blinky0.jpg

Eyes looked like they were intact under the lids so I took her up to Peter Wright in Goulburn. Treated her with ky jelly initially, and then human eye gel applied to the eyelids to try to soften them up and get them moving.

Yesterday she had a pretty full on shed around her eye. first thought was that it was leading into an infection. but on closer examination there was no infection.

blinky1.jpg

this morning, she opened her eye and can see quite well. She's moving around her enclosure and tracking people as they walk around.

blinky2.jpg

Still one eye to go and it's going to be a while before she can go free, but looks like we're going to have a good outcome with this one.

Wow how strange, it's amazing she managed to survive at all in the wild with no working eyes. Glad to see she is coming along and looking like she will get her sight back, even in the small way already.

yeah RBB, I asked Peter that same question and he reckons it's a pretty standard response to head trauma. Apparently they get a smack on the head and suck their eyeballs in.

Poor thing. Glad it seems to be on the mend. :D

indeed see them all the time after being nipped by cars.

looks horrible but congrats on giving her a go and fixing her.......half so far i guess

WOW im so inspired by this story, I have a thing for eastern beardies!! Well done to you mate, your a champ!!! Def the fred hollows of the herp world lol!! Keep up the awesome work!! Need to be more people like you ;-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back